Giant Metallic Rhinos

Been seeing them everywhere in Taoyuan, and was watching the news and saw another one.

Did I miss summin?

2 Likes

They’re done by an artist from Taichung. An attempt to draw attention to the plight of the critically endangered animals.

6 Likes

I believed it was just some artist who got famous and then of course Taiwanese cities follow the trend. You can see his rhinos in Xinyi district also. I thought they just represented money and copying the Wall Street bull.

1 Like

I really like the rhino sculptures–the bronze colored one and the two silver rhinos nearby. However, it looks a bit silly when they decorate it for Christmas.

The statue was an impressive focal point on that corner when it stood alone. Later, statues of runners and news reporters were added to the same spot, and now the scene looks a bit comical.
1178315888_l

2 Likes

What a mess.:grin:
I believe the rhinos are mostly popular here and in China because they rub the horn for good luck…Money (same as the wall street bull). Could be wrong but I doubt it. Nobody has a clue here that they are endangered or anything like that from these sculptures. This guy became famous in China first I think and the big developers will know that and copy it back to Taiwan. That whole area is modelled on new districts in China.

The real story…

1 Like

He has different Rhino displays all over the world. And he gets good support from the Taiwan government buying his art because he gets international visibility.

There is a big one in Xinyi, visible from the Apple Store. Doesn’t look big compared to this building, but it’s big. Comparing to the doors of the building gives a better perspective.

He talks a lot of rubbish about environmentalism now (was not even mentioned once in 2011 article ) probably because he was pressed on it, is he donating much money to the cause?

Originally it was about the rhino being something something ancient Chinese culture but really it’s about 牛 related to the stock market.

As we can see from above he got really famous from the Shanghai expo and some art exhibitions in Beijing. Maybe his scultupures even made Chinese even more interested in rhino horn…Who knows.
I dont see any connection to saving rhinos personally .
IMHO it’s also really boring just doing rhinos all the time. First couple of times it’s cool then it’s meh.

See that green spirally building down the road from that pic? The one that got worldwide coverage for its innovative green design? Check it out these days. A few shrubs and trees but nowhere like what was envisaged. About as green as my sock draw.

2 Likes

You should really get that checked out.

1 Like

a bit yeah

Or at least wash his socks b4 putting them away.

Some say the mold adds to the flavor.

some might say find a better way

2 Likes

Hey guys, don’t shoot the messenger. I merely answered the OP’s question. The integrity of the artist’s pursuit and the way it’s done isn’t my concern.
And I like rhinos, even if they’re doomed to extinction to make flaccid Chinese cocks hard.

Why?

To get a ‘hard on’ actually and get a baby son. Male fertility symbol! :man_dancing:

I mean the horn on the rhino sculptures.:grin:
I believe Chinese grind the actual rhino horn into powder and eat it.

Or smear it on their johnson.