Girl-fights with locals

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“Ermintrude”]The OP isn’t here, is she?

She started a thread saying she didn’t like being objectified by people in Taiwan …[/quote]

1. I’m not objectifying anyone

2. I’m not in Taiwan

I think she can speak up if she wants to, but i guess you feel you need to do it for her.[/quote]

Meh. Just too reactionary. And as such, pointless. Double meh. Mega meh.

i guess I might suspect superking is trying to wind me up. OTH, I am a little bored, so I’ll play along. So when I can play the staid, but standard, albeit pathetic retort “you’re just another Brit poor English teacher loser” or is that hitting below the belt.

awaiting your pleasant, but preachy response, S-King. let’s take this to the next level and see when we get temped. i gotta about an hour to kill.[/quote]

Show us some pics of your dad.

I’m not trying to wind you up. I am providing the ability for you to do that by yourself. You are doing a great job.

[quote=“FizzyBubbleh”]Hypothetical:

There are days when patience is thin and being gawked at by Taiwanese makes me want to punch. Especially young women who stared and giggle and whisper to each other, and talked openly about the foreigner in their midst. I have enough Taiwan experience to know that that’s just how people are here, so I usually just ignore it or if I’m getting stared out I will stare right back to the point hwere they get embarrassed and back off. But some days I find myself just wanting to be like “You got a problem bitch?” or a slightly more diplomatic “You may not realize it, but outside of Taiwan it’s very rude to stare at people.”

I mean I’m a tall (5’11) and pretty nice looking girl, and most of the time they’re not actually saying anything bad. It doesn’t really matter though, being gawked at is never fun. Anyways, how might Taiwanese women react to this kind of confrontation? Of course I don’t want to get in any physical fights, just wonder what the culture is around that. Would it be like with guys where they call up their homies to gang up?[/quote]

The riverside park has some nice places where you can access some mud, especially in Bali.
If you ever decide going ahead with your fantasy, please, go there and call me so I can watch.
Make sure you pull them into the mud.

That’s all.
Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“Ermintrude”]The OP isn’t here, is she?

She started a thread saying she didn’t like being objectified by people in Taiwan …[/quote]

1. I’m not objectifying anyone

2. I’m not in Taiwan

I think she can speak up if she wants to, but i guess you feel you need to do it for her.[/quote]

Meh. Just too reactionary. And as such, pointless. Double meh. Mega meh.[/quote]

nice retort. what are you 12? or just have the intellectual horsepower of a turd? I was about to go into character with the also-staid, but standard insult of a lonely, aging, cat lady, but then I saw this and took pity on you:

I will say this for the last time. FWIW, I was not asking for a pic and never expected one. It was more a remark on (a) the superficialness of this thread and the OP “complaining” that Taiwanese girls are jealous of her looks, blah blah, help me, I have such a difficult life, not like these girls who work dead-end jobs and must live with their families for most of their lives, because Taiwan pays crap wages and (b) that it’s funny when people describe themselves physically on the internet and invariably it’s a lie,

but now that I had to explain this, it’s really not as much fun. my final word.

Somehow, I’m not sure that’s true … :laughing:

Meh. I don’t do ‘retorts’. I wasn’t opening a debate, I was saying ‘Stop it’. I did that, and that doesn’t meaning I’m going to respond to every bore-off whiny argument male posters make because I’d heard it all before 20 years ago. Who gives a shit? Why should I have to engage with your ‘It was a jooooke’ stuff?

The ‘women who don’t agree either don’t understand or are emotionally deficient / lonely / broken / crazy’ thing. Every single thread where I tell a man to be less stupid or obnoxious. Every single one. Someone as intelligent and culturally literate as yourself must have noticed that, hmm? :laughing:

Keeping smearing shit on the walls. Or don’t.

Some interesting and helpful replies on here. Yea, likely some are jealous or just simply complimenting me. It just gets to be a drag sometimes as many of you can relate.

And nope, not gonna post a picture. No doubts about my perceived attractiveness and if you read the original thread, it wasn’t about trying to figure out what they were gawking at. Just dealing with the rage it can illicit sometimes, and wondering how it might turn out if I slap a bitch (figuratively).

Anyways, I’ll be ok! Leaving Taiwan soon, be back later and will just have to live around it.

[quote=“FizzyBubbleh”]Some interesting and helpful replies on here. Yea, likely some are jealous or just simply complimenting me. It just gets to be a drag sometimes as many of you can relate.

And nope, not gonna post a picture. No doubts about my perceived attractiveness and if you read the original thread, it wasn’t about trying to figure out what they were gawking at. Just dealing with the rage it can illicit sometimes, and wondering how it might turn out if I slap a bitch (figuratively).

Anyways, I’ll be ok! Leaving Taiwan soon, be back later and will just have to live around it.[/quote]

They might back down. Or they might get in your face. It depends if they have friends with them. It also depends if they are gangsters. Look out for hand tattoos as those could indicate gang affiliation.

We “locals” stare at you because you are rare, and you look lost. To us locals, you look like wild animals that are caught surprised being spotted. You roam through the cities and the countryside randomly. You appear by happenstance, and disappear. You add amusement to an otherwise boring day.

I think decades have past and still not many of you worked in the service industries. We don’t see you behind the counters. You’re not engaging in the seller end of commerce. You’re not demonstrating your verbal language skill in a way that could distract locals from paying attention to your appearance.

(*just speaking from the perspective of the locals. I personally don’t stare unless you’re hot.)

[quote=“sofun”]We “locals” stare at you because you are rare, and you look lost. To us locals, you look like wild animals that are caught surprised being spotted. You roam through the cities and the countryside randomly. You appear by happenstance, and disappear. You add amusement to an otherwise boring day.

I think decades have past and still not many of you worked in the service industries. We don’t see you behind the counters. You’re not engaging in the seller end of commerce. You’re not demonstrating your verbal language skill in a way that could distract locals from paying attention to your appearance.

(*just speaking from the perspective of the locals. I personally don’t stare unless you’re hot.)[/quote]

Interesting to hear a local perspective. It seems as if you (locals) often forget we are people in such circumstance. Perhaps miseducation of sorts, as when parent’s do it, children most likely will follow. As for the verbal language skill, in my experience speaking Chinese only matters once you’ve started talking with someone. Then they can start to relate to you as another person. But in terms of being stared at by strangers, they likely will assume you don’t speak Chinese until you open your mouth. I do find speaking Chinese shuts people up a little; the response is usually "OMG you speak Chinese! (in chinese) Wow you speak so good! (I’m not bad but I think its usually an exaggeration!)

I guess I don’t mind you staring if you’re a 帥哥。

[quote=“sofun”]We “locals” stare at you because you are rare, and you look lost. To us locals, you look like wild animals that are caught surprised being spotted. You roam through the cities and the countryside randomly. You appear by happenstance, and disappear. You add amusement to an otherwise boring day.

(*just speaking from the perspective of the locals. I personally don’t stare unless you’re hot.)[/quote]

Why do we look lost? I don’t get it.

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“sofun”]We “locals” stare at you because you are rare, and you look lost. To us locals, you look like wild animals that are caught surprised being spotted. You roam through the cities and the countryside randomly. You appear by happenstance, and disappear. You add amusement to an otherwise boring day.

Why do we look lost? I don’t get it.[/quote]

Oh sorry, that’s my fault. Yes, I often wander through the city looking at Google Maps. Meanwhile walking around and doubling back. Only to double back again all while looking bewildered and taking pictures of buildings and turning every which way. Whenever I go to stores, instead of speaking I just point at things like someone who doesn’t know how to speak Chinese and say “那個 那個”.

I saw a good looking tall blonde at Zhongxiao Fuxing station late last night. Was that you? If so, love your hairdo.

I think I would direct my gaze at anyone who is towering over the average crowd, but I quickly move on. I know what it’s like to get gawked at around here.

[quote=“mushypea”]I saw a good looking tall blonde at Zhongxiao Fuxing station late last night. Was that you? If so, love your hairdo.

I think I would direct my gaze at anyone who is towering over the average crowd, but I quickly move on. I know what it’s like to get gawked at around here.[/quote]

Who said OP was blonde? She could be black or Central American, or anything else that is foreign to Taiwan.

[quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“mushypea”]I saw a good looking tall blonde at Zhongxiao Fuxing station late last night. Was that you? If so, love your hairdo.

I think I would direct my gaze at anyone who is towering over the average crowd, but I quickly move on. I know what it’s like to get gawked at around here.[/quote]

Who said OP was blonde? She could be black or Central American, or anything else that is foreign to Taiwan.[/quote]

True, but the girl was about 180 cm and I immediately thought of the OP =)

[quote=“mushypea”][quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“mushypea”]I saw a good looking tall blonde at Zhongxiao Fuxing station late last night. Was that you? If so, love your hairdo.

Who said OP was blonde? She could be black or Central American, or anything else that is foreign to Taiwan.[/quote]

True, but the girl was about 180 cm and I immediately thought of the OP =)[/quote]

Musta been my doppleganger :wink:

[quote=“FizzyBubbleh”]

Interesting to hear a local perspective. It seems as if you (locals) often forget we are people in such circumstance. Perhaps miseducation of sorts, as when parent’s do it, children most likely will follow. As for the verbal language skill, in my experience speaking Chinese only matters once you’ve started talking with someone. Then they can start to relate to you as another person. But in terms of being stared at by strangers, they likely will assume you don’t speak Chinese until you open your mouth. I do find speaking Chinese shuts people up a little; the response is usually "OMG you speak Chinese! (in chinese) Wow you speak so good! (I’m not bad but I think its usually an exaggeration!)

I guess I don’t mind you staring if you’re a 帥哥。[/quote]

well in that case, thank you! 謝啦!

Maybe subconsciously this makes us feel like we’re not lost or adrift in our life by comparison. Or so we wish…

following what ermintrudy said i think you can deal with this problem by going to live in china for a little while. you will see full on staring, gormlessness and random people stating you are a forigner for no reason whatsoever. after the ordeal taiwan will feel like a piece of cake and the people will seem polite and welcoming in comparison!

People are FAR more polite here than in Taiwan: they never talk about me within earshot like they do in Taiwan, to give one example. They do stare more, though, and even take pictures. I have this group of women of different ethnicities and appearances that I go out with. The Jamaican woman and the blonde American have the patience of saints for posing with locals.

Was out with a male friend the other week, and he noticed that people stare at me ‘Like I’m Marilyn Monroe’, like people slow down their cars to cop an eyeful. I really don’t bother about it, having been in Asia since college. People stare at me back home, too. There are two main reasons for this and I don’t see why I should cover 'em up.

To quote a great American philosopher: ‘I still don’t give a fuck, y’all can kiss my ass!’. :discodance:

This thread deserves to be in D & R, instead of LiT.
Which is just what I did.