Give Face

I’d have to agree. Not just rich Chinese, most of Asia really. It was particularly bad in Malaysia where “rich” people really mistreat their helpers at home. They simply don’t understand old money wealth don’t treat their workers like that. They have people working for them for generations with each passing generation.

1 Like

The Queen can do whatever she likes, in my book. She’s shown throughout her life that she is one of us. She stayed in Windsor during the blitz, for example, urging other children to have courage. Her mum and dad (George VI) raised her to be one of the people. She looked so alone during Philip’s funeral, bless her.

It’s her kids and grand kids that need a wallop. Andrew and Harry are a disgrace. Andrew in particular. They need to show a bit more face to the English (and to America).

3 Likes

Still, she worked hard to maintain that stately image. No way she will let a slight indiscretion tarnish that. As for her children, I don’t know what her thoughts are… But a king is only king when he acts like one.

1 Like

‘Business’?

I agree. It’s all an act.

Not only Chinese, I had a lot of old wealth and new wealth customers in my UK business.
All the same whatever nationality.

My advice don’t pander to needs, lose the true tossers and gain respect from respectful.

Sounds like a 1-to-1 English lesson

She was expecting a huge compliment. Haven’t you all experienced this stuff?

Another time I was interviewing with a “university” and it’s 2 employees. As I rose from my chair to leave a skinny middle aged bald Chinese guy came on and said “You don’t have to stand for me”

I replied “actually we were just leaving”.

I was told this was the President of the university and I made him lose face because he thought I stood up for him. In fact I didn’t know who he was. Another case of a Chinese person with ego as thin as rice paper and as big as a Goodyear blimp. The university had 3 employees. They hired me and when they said they’d pay me at the end of the semester I told them it would need to be every 2 weeks or no deal. They didn’t budge nor did I. I never give Chinese an opportunity to scam me since very few are trustworthy.

3 Likes

I have never reached 1 to 2

Something I have never done - English teaching.

Can you explain your reasoning please.

Was she expecting a compliment just out of the blue? Something as:
-Hi
-Hi, you are so beautiful!

IMO that would sound a little bit fake or even creepy.

1 Like

He should’ve given her some Taiwanese pick-up lines:

“Baby, you smell better than a plate of stinky tofu! You’re hotter than a barrel of burning ghost money! Your eyes are like two tapioca pearls… and I wanna drink the bubble tea!”

I think she made a big deal because she was kinda crushing on OP.

5 Likes

Are we talking about “Give Face,” or “Pat on the Horse’s Back” here?

No one loses face by not getting a compliment.

Perhaps need more context here. If your friend complimented her on her looks, and she said that she does not think so, and your friend turned to you to have you give your thoughts on the matter, and you just kept silent, then it would be obvious why your friend reacted that way afterwards. But I think in that situation, your friend would have lost more face, having such an inconsiderate friend?

2 Likes

I’m stealing those lines!

3 Likes

You don’t owe her a damn thing, what cause she’s rich? did she compliment you? I would have done the same. I bet she’s one of those bad drivers with a big SUV

Not sure what you mean by your response.

There have been times when I observed an English teacher giving an English lesson to a single student in a coffee shop. I assumed that is what OP meant by “business”.

Smooooth

3 Likes

There’s plenty of old family money around here that treat people like shit, and plenty of new money nice guys. In this aspect, rich people, new or old, are just like other people - some are nice, some are dicks.

4 Likes

My understanding of giving face is that you treat other people with respect in public. AKA old fashioned good manners. In the case of the OP, that wasn’t a face issue. That was an encounter with a narcissist.

We are all equals on this planet in terms of status. You matter as much as any other human.

4 Likes

Sure. Just like people, it’s not a rule.

As I’ve said, this is my industry and my experience dealing with rich and wealthy people.

1 Like

What might have happened was that she was fishing for a compliment that she looks younger than her real age , see if the foreigner was fooled. There was obviously some point where there was a setup and it went right over the OP’s head.
A lot wealthy people in Taiwan are complete arseholes, hiding away in their cars trying to mow people down and generally disregarding others . And they are obsessed with plastic surgery maybe she wanted to see if it was worth the money ?

4 Likes