Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

I think the battery thing might change the direction of the company.

Good dip opportunity to buy Palantir? Let’s see how far it drops.

Don’t wait for the dip, you’ll be waiting forever.

The key is to take leverage and go long - you can’t loose.

Buy some soon to expire out of money calls, and add in some leverage, and you’ll be driving a Porsche.

2 Likes

HYLN to the moon again

My moon is further away.

1 Like

Well, flash in the pan…

Make that a Lucid :yum:

Looks like that will work out :slight_smile: congrats!

1 Like

Make that 130%~~

And all on rumors. The plot is thickening though. Could go up to 60 or more, before the profit-taking starts, and then let’s see if Lucid can actually put cars on the road. I’ll hold it like it’s Tesla.

1 Like

I’m trying not to hold anything like that!

So LGVW became BFLY and gets promoted to the regular stockpick thread, and what a day.

Up 17%, and including the LGVW gains, I’m at 50% gain with an 8% stop. Slwoly moving out of the summer of SPAC.

1 Like

Going to free up some cash and put more into mining stocks. Gold, silver, platinum, copper,… uranium? What you reckon @jdsmith?

Copper near all-time highs. check its chart.
Elon gonna need a lot of copper.

2 Likes

Brett Owens, my newsletter guy suggested GDX, a gold mining etf, something he rarely recommends. I made money of GDX last year. He put FCX on his short list and I bought it immediately and made good money off it…sold a while ago when the price started to cave. I also bought a SPAC which became MP, and also did well.

GDX is down about 10%. He’s recommended it twice now, saying there’s a BIG upside swing to it. Do your DD of course. I can find his rec and put it up later. Just got up need coffee be human better then.

Also, my energy, oil, NG and pipelines are coming back. Gas at the pump is way up recently, and the bottleneck for demand has begun. I own DTE and VLO…sold OKE for a 50% gain a few weeks ago…set a 5% stop which was a bit too small, but whatever. It’s MY money now and not the house’s.

Here ya go:
Our New Gold Trade, Plus a 10% Yellow Metal Dividend
Fed Chair Jay Powell put on quite the money-printing show last year. He upped our M2 money supply by a breathtaking (and scary) 25% over the past 12 months:
Jay Powell, Professional Money Printer
Powell has flat out said that he wants inflation at 2% per year. As he works towards his “goal,” gold bugs are beginning to pounce on the fact that this spells bad news for the greenback.

Gold prices tend to move in fits and starts, which makes gold an ideal trading vehicle. It tends to be a long-term underperformer, but that’s not our concern as traders, because we’re only interested in the yellow metal (and those that profit from it) for several weeks or months at a time. We date gold but don’t marry it.

In June, we took the VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) for a short 6-week ride and banked 12.4% returns on our trade . The yellow metal is starting to break out again. It’s late to the “alternative currency” party, while its millennial grand-nephew Bitcoin is already spiking to new highs! Gold and GDX have some catching up to do.

By buying back in today, we’re getting GDX at a discount to the price we sold at in August. Let’s stock back up on the metal play before it chases the crypto kids off its lawn.
Action to Take: Buy VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) up to $42.00.
Please note, GDX yields just a half-percent - no dividend play here! We’re in the trade for the price gains, and we expect to bank double-digit gains in a few months.

For those of you who insist on meaningful dividends, consider GAMCO’s Global Gold, Natural Resources & Income Trust (GGN) as a high-paying substitute. GGN yields a sweet 10% and trades for a 13% discount to its net asset value (NAV).

GGN owns many of the same gold-mining stocks as GDX. It is a closed-end fund (CEF), hence the presence of the discount window. GGN usually isn’t this cheap, but a rough start to 2020 has left the fund still discarded in the bargain bin:
Free Money, Payable in Gold (Stocks)
GGN isn’t widely traded enough for me to formally recommend, even in these elite DST pages. If you decide to purchase it, please do consider using a “limit” order to protect yourself from overpaying. I anticipate it will trade in the same direction as GDX, so it would be fair to consider our Buy, Hold and Sell cues applicable to GGN and the entire gold sector.

2 Likes

Speaking of oil…Barron’s

Oil prices have soared this year, and were back on the upswing Friday — their 10th gain in the past 11 days.

Brent crude futures were up 0.7%, to $61.54 a barrel. West Texas Intermediate crude futures, the U.S. benchmark, were up 0.4%, to $58.47 a barrel. Oil stocks have been on a tear, with one producer, Occidental Petroleum (ticker: OXY), rising 23% since the start of the month.

At these prices, some analysts have begun warning that oil is a bubble that could pop. Oil demand is still extremely depressed from pre-Covid levels, and companies may begin bringing supply back on the market if prices go high enough. The U.S. Energy Information Administration has predicted that prices will start to come down as more supply is brought on the market, and that Brent prices will average $52 this year.

But one Citigroup analyst who has successfully predicted market moves before expects the bullish run to continue — and possibly result in Brent crude rising above $70 this year. Citi’s Ed Morse said this week that the oil market was “tightening faster than expected,” with a backlog of stored oil that had built up last year quickly emptying out. Morse predicted the 2014 oil crash when many analysts were expecting strong prices to continue.

Citi expects oil storage levels to decline by about 4 million barrels a day in the first quarter and 2.4 million in the second quarter. All that excess oil that went unused during 2020 because of the pandemic will be used within the next few months, Citi projects.

“By the middle of the second quarter we project that global observable inventories will fall within the pre-pandemic five-year range of 55-60 days of forward demand cover,” Citi analysts including Morse wrote in a report published Wednesday.

The analysts see Brent averaging $64 a barrel this year. By 2022, however, they expect oil producers to start pumping more, resulting in prices falling somewhat. Their 2022 average price expectation is $58.

Other analysts also have bullish predictions for oil. Bank of America’s Francisco Blanch wrote on Thursday that oil demand could rebound strongly over the next three years, defying expectations for a near-term peak in demand.

“Looking into the next three years, we see a window of strong oil demand growth ahead,” he wrote. “Much of the growth should be front-loaded in 2021, with consumption picking up by 5.3 million barrels a day this year, followed by an increase of 2.8 million next year and 1.4 million in 2023. Should our expectations play out, this would be the fastest 3 year pace of growth since the 1970s in absolute volumes.”

Blanch expects the peak to come around 2030 as electric vehicle sales ramp up.

1 Like

This one just out. He likes small banks but not pulling the trigger on any yet.

And the market nuttiness is shaking him on GDX:

I do have our VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) on my watch list for a potential sale. In a world where bitcoin is going bonkers, we’d have expected gold (the “original bitcoin”) to get more love. But if my timing is off on this trade, I’ll admit the mistake and we’ll move on.

GDX does have strong support just below current levels, which means there are buyers nearby. If you don’t yet own GDX, this is a high upside play with minimum downside thanks to the short leash I’ve given this position.

1 Like

Will look into all of that.

In the meantime, AMC :rocket: , on Amazon rumors… :popcorn:

rumors…which are??

Some story on Forbes about Amazon to acquire AMC.

French Forbes, take it with a grain of sel

1 Like

How far will PLTR fall, that’s today’s question.

22 looks possible. Nov./Dec. level. End of Jan. was 44. Wow.

Added some at 25, you can now stop the dipping, pal!