Global Economic Crisis

Wow, big news. Anyone who works for a tech manufacturer, as I do, or who buys tech products will recognize that Circuit City is/was one of the biggest tech retailers in the world. I was stunned last week to see they were shutting down 155 stores and laying off almost 20% of their employees. But that was just triage.

[quote]Circuit City Stores, the nation’s second-largest consumer electronics retailer, said yesterday that tightened credit and rapidly declining consumer spending have forced it to file for bankruptcy protection. . .

Just a week ago, Circuit City said it would shut down 155 stores and cut 17 percent of its workforce to try to stave off bankruptcy. But suppliers remained skittish, in some cases demanding payment before merchandise was received and refusing to increase credit for new purchases. On Friday, it let go an additional 1,300 employees, including staff at its headquarters in Richmond. It filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection yesterday to begin reorganizing its business.

. . . Circuit City stores will remain open, and customer warranty and service plans will not be affected, the company said.

The retail industry has been rattled over the past year as shoppers slashed their spending by the largest amount in nearly three decades. Sales in nearly every category have plummeted as Wall Street imploded and housing prices remained depressed. Holiday sales are expected to have their weakest growth in years. Circuit City was the latest in a long line of retailers to fall this year. . . .

Circuit City, founded in 1949 as a Richmond appliance store, recorded annual profit of nearly $200 million just a few years ago. But . . . posted nearly $320 million in losses in the last fiscal year, its second consecutive annual shortfall. . . .

Vendors began to worry that Circuit City would not have the cash to pay them. The company’s most recent quarterly filing showed that it had total assets of $3.4 billion with $2.3 billion in liabilities. According to court filings, Hewlett-Packard holds the most unsecured debt, more than $118.8 million. Samsung Electronics is due nearly $116 million, while Sony has more than $60 million in claims. Circuit City tried to assuage its suppliers by holding face-to-face meetings and closing unprofitable stores, court documents show. But vendors were skeptical, and credit tightened. . .

Under the terms of the bankruptcy, Circuit City has negotiated a $1.1 billion revolving line of credit with Bank of America that will allow it to buy merchandise for Black Friday – the all-important day after Thanksgiving – and the remainder of the holiday season. On Dec. 29, the credit amount will drop to $900 million.

Bankruptcy also allows Circuit City to terminate leases at the 155 stores that it announced it would close last week. In court documents, Circuit City said it hopes to emerge from bankruptcy protection in the first half of 2009. Marcum said he hopes the filing will give vendors confidence in the company’s ability to pay them and create a more efficient operation.

The New York Stock Exchange suspended trading of Circuit City shares yesterday, the company said in a statement. The stock has lost more than 96 percent of its value over the past year.[/quote]
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … id=topnews

Check out their stock: finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3ACC Basically a steady decline since the tech bubble burst in 2000, with a couple of aborted attempts at recovery. I’ll not be holding my breath for them this time round.

Sounds similar to the story of 3C in Taiwan and China, although 3C seem to have somehow survived here. The other factor must be online sales and direct sales from companies such as Dell.

The store in Concord (slated to close) was the one I went to the most. And it was clear that it was losing business day by day when compared to FRYs and Best Buy. The writing had been on the wall for quite some time.

Does anyone remember CompUSA ??? At one time they were a giant too.

MT, stores are shutting down here left and right. DHL is leaving almost 10,000 jobs in it’s wake

The job market in the States is soooo bad right now, that McDonalds is the only thing that looks promising. Degreed or not.

[quote=“Namahottie”]MT, stores are shutting down here left and right. DHL is leaving almost 10,000 jobs in it’s wake

The job market in the States is soooo bad right now, that McDonalds is the only thing that looks promising. Degreed or not.[/quote]

Good point. I read that DHL is also terminating its US domestic services in an effort to survive, because it can’t compete in the US with FedEx and the US Postal Service. Wow, that is serious.

It’s one thing to hear vague statistics about bad job reports, or analysts’ abstract speculations about whether we’re in a recession or not, but it’s another to hear (or see in your case) real, actual, concrete stores that once thrived, being shut down left and right.

And at this point we’re only stocking up on beer and videos and putting the tape X marks on our windows. The full brunt of the storm is yet to come.

All stock indices down 5% yesterday due to more BAD news, including this time from #1 tech retailer, Best Buy.

forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/11/ … 85497.html

[quote]Stocks plunged and the Nasdaq Composite fell to its lowest level in more than five years as the chief executive of Best Buy warned that the consumer-electronics retailer is contending with the [color=#FF0000]most-difficult consumer-spending environment he had ever seen. . .[/color]

Intel warned of weak demand in all its units and markets. . .

Best Buy fell . . . 8% . . . The retailer slashed its profit outlook and warned that sales in stores open a year or more could fall between 5% and 15% in the current quarter. . .

American Express fell . . . 10% . . . Citigroup fell . . . 11% . . . Morgan Stanley fell . . . 15%. . . General Electric fell . . . 8.5%. . . Exxon Mobil fell . . . 5.1% . . . Chevron declined . . . 8.5% . . .[/quote]
online.wsj.com/article/SB1226502 … lenews_wsj

Its time for people to spend money. I helped BestBuy a tiny fraction by buying a new puter.

Back a few years ago, I had a business and need 10 new computers. I went to Circuit City. I loaded the computers onto 2 carts. My wife and I wheeled them to the counter with cash in hand. After the clerk rang them up, she asked for my social security number. When asked why she needed this information, I was told that it was for the warranty. I refused. She insisted. I walked., laeving the computers on the cart at the checkout counter. Now, why is anybody surprised that this company failed.

I can totally agree. Lunatics. Their managers did them in.

And you’re still typing the same ole shit? :beatnik:

Da Boss says CEOs are warning of huge layoff in Chicago

[quote]Mayor Daley said Wednesday he’s been warned by a parade of corporate CEOs that a blizzard of job cuts are about to bury the souring Chicago economy.

“Huge layoffs are coming in November and December. And next year, there’s going to be [even more] huge layoffs. All the corporation CEOs have come in to tell me. That’s just the beginning. It’s not their end result,” Daley told reporters after a City Council meeting.[/quote]

1. I left Taiwan why?
    2)I’m getting a post-grad why? :doh: :unamused: :loco: :noway:

[quote=“Namahottie”]

And you’re still typing the same ole shit? :beatnik: [/quote]

Remember all those TV ads that said "your fone calls wont change, they will just be cheaper? " haha

New puter is tiny tho and the keyboard is tiny so iv slowed down a bit on the posting. I got it cuz it was cheap !! The critics were right in saying that the right hand shift is in an awkward place. But i still like it tho.

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Namahottie”]

Remember all those TV ads that said "your phone calls wont change, they will just be cheaper? " haha

New puter is tiny tho and the keyboard is tiny so iv slowed down a bit on the posting. I got it cuz it was cheap !! The critics were right in saying that the right hand shift is in an awkward place. But i still like it tho.[/quote]

tommy525, is it necessary to vandalize the English language so callously? I appreciate efficiency but our language and its inherent beauty are about all we have left these days.

good for them. piece of crap store anyways.

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Namahottie”]

Remember all those TV ads that said "your phone calls wont change, they will just be cheaper? " haha
[/quote]

Da man! :notworthy: :bravo: :laughing:

You don’t get it. It’s not a store, it’s the whole tech industry. This is far worse than the bursting of the tech bubble in 1999-2000. And it’s not just the tech industry. The whole world is sinking into major recession, with layoffs of 10% then another 10% then another 10% of the workforce, rising unemployment, a total halt to discretionary spending, and a large percent of all businesses closing their doors for good. None of us has ever seen anything remotely like what is only beginning to hit us. I hate to be an alarmist, but I think most of us, including myself, have read the news over and over but still have trouble grasping how severe this crisis is.

[quote]
Crisis Spreads to Tech Sector as Sun to Cut Work Force

Joining a rapidly growing list of technology companies reeling from the financial turmoil, Sun Microsystems, which sells server computers, has started a broad overhaul in which up to 6,000 employees could lose their jobs.

Before the stock market opened Friday, Sun disclosed that it would lay off 5,000 to 6,000 workers, or 15 percent to 18 percent of its work force. The company, already dealing with layoffs announced in May . . .

Last week, Cisco Systems. . . warned that sales in its current quarter could drop 10 percent. Intel . . . added to the gloom this week saying its sales for the current quarter could plummet as much as 19 percent . . .

In addition, other Silicon Valley companies tied to the chip industry, including Applied Materials and National Semiconductor, have started layoffs. . .

“Even during the 2000 bust, the decline was more measured,” said Ashok Kumar, an analyst with Collins Stewart. “This seems to be going into a free fall.”

. . .Sun’s shares have lost more than 80 percent of their value in the last year[/quote]
nytimes.com/2008/11/15/techn … un.html?hp

A friend of mine works for one of Taiwan’s largest tech companies. Their CEO had a somber talk with them this week, in which he informed them this major slump is expected to last at least 8 to 12 quarters (2 to 3 years).

Merry Fucking Christmas. :santa:

The world hasnt changed. Its the distribution of money thats changed. All the countries need to print more money now. And everybodys gotta go out there and spend!! IM going to vegas to do my share for a few days.

Have fun in Vegas spending money you don’t really have because you don’t make anything any longer that the world wants to buy – or can’t buy elsewhere cheaper. When you inevitably lose your job and join the Army because that’s the only job left in America anymore but your house goes into foreclosure anyway because being an Army private doesn’t pay enough let me know because I’m “in the market” for some prime U.S. properties selling at half price – or less.

Have fun in Vegas spending money you don’t really have because you don’t make anything any longer that the world wants to buy – or can’t buy elsewhere cheaper. When you inevitably lose your job and join the Army because that’s the only job left in America anymore but your house goes into foreclosure anyway because being an Army private doesn’t pay enough let me know because I’m “in the market” for some prime U.S. properties selling at half price – or less.[/quote]

You got that right brother. The problem with the US is that it doesnt make a lot of things anymore. It doesnt create wealth in the traditional sense. Its a service oriented country and consumer of goods.

China makes just about everything and enjoys a 3 billion US dollar per day trade imbalance with the USA.

By the way, I have not been to vegas since the early 80s :slight_smile:

This is a simple road trip on the cheap :slight_smile: Not high roller style so relax already Cut a bro some slack here. But definitely people with the means should SPEND SPEND SPEND to get the ball rolling again . You mentioned you wanted to buy into America Inc. By all means. do so !!! We need your money. Uncle Sam needs YOUR CASH !! NOW so FORK IT OVER Bud.

I’m not blaming you personally, tommy. I’m just steamed at all the stupidity and arrogance which is destroying a good country. If you want to bet on something that’s a sure thing put your money down on the fact that the standard of living in the U.S. is going to drop 30% before it’s all over and everything else is just the details.

America used to be defined by its products. It was an industrial powerhouse producing a lot of goods. IT so happens that as the people got wealthier the market for consumables increased dramatically. As a result the US became an attractive market for the worlds producers in addition to domestic producers.

But if the US no longer produces much of anything, the country loses its power to build wealth. Eventually it cant just rely on land and home sales and the such without its core base. Now the US buys your (the worlds) products and you get the cash which the US hopes you will reinvest back into the USA in the form of buying up American companies, land, buildings and the such. But we can see how things can unravel when the stock value of a company can go down 90pct in a matter of days. The land can lose its value by 30 pct at a time, etc.

America was strong when it was a major producer of goods and its people had tangible wealth through the creation and sale of these goods.

Now major American manufacturers are near death and require extremely large handouts to survive.

GM for example owes over 250 billion dollars it can never repay. It wants and needs more govt help. Its finance arm, once a cash cow doesnt have the money to make car loans anymore. And many GM stores are going out of business and have shut down as a result. No stores to sell GM products, no money to finance car loans? Not a pretty picture. Perhaps we are seeing the end of GM in the very near future.

By the way gas has gone down to 2.21 / gallon down from over 4 bucks a gallon.

I was going to drive to vegas (bout 100 bucks there and back probably seeing as its bout 1100 miles) but now Virgin USA (the new airline) is about half price the likes of Southwest. Southwest is bout 500 roundtrip for two but Virgin is only 238 including taxes roundtrip for two !! Thats a deal. Only problem is that Virgin will be bankrupt if it cant raise its fares to a sustainable level in the near future ( I dont believe 50 bucks a head each way is a sustainable level).

Business in America these days? You have to be cheap in order to sell,but many times so cheap that you cant really continue doing that.