Go ahead be maliciously mean to one anther

[quote=“Miss C.C.”]
And u had taken offense to my post, that could only mean one thing. For that, I do feel sorry…for you…[/quote]

I feel sorry for you for being such a doofus.

[quote=“Poagao”][quote=“Miss C.C.”]Dude, if u have nothing better to say then say nothing at all. What slangs? I dare you to find 5 out of all my posts. And the fact that I’ve only lived in the States for 3 yrs, if I had u fooled as a LA navtive then thats good enough for me.

And just so u know, this thread is more directed towards those who did come to Taiwan to study Chinese. Clearly, you’re not one of them. The way I see it, there are only 2 groups of foreigners in Taiwan. One they came here b/c they like the culture and they wanna learn more about it and two are ppl who only came here b/c they had to–to teach ESL, their mother tongue. Most of them are not happy b/c they never wanted to be here in the first place and therefore never bothered to learn Chinese. I hope you are not part of the latter.[/quote]

What slang (not “slangs”, btw)? I was referring to your spelling out colloqualisms in your written posting. There were about five in your original topic line before you changed it. “U” instead of “you”, “wanna” instead of “want to”, “thanx” instead of “thanks”, “wonderin” instead of “wondering”…ok, that’s five from your first post, plus a lot, including the “Dude” you just threw in above. As I said, I notice this kind of spelled-out slang more in Taiwanese people’s posting than in those of native speakers. And I should explain that the LA reference was a joke; I didn’t really think you were from LA.

As to your inferences about my reasons for being here, your speculation is very amusing. One of the reasons I came here (which wasn’t too long after you were born, I suspect) was to study Chinese, actually. I think I’ve attained a certain level of fluency in that area since my arrival. And no, I am not an English teacher.

Sorry if you think I shouldn’t post my observations. You’ll soon find that these forums are rife with contradicting opinions, and it’s not a good idea to be too easily offended.[/quote]

First of all, those thing u pointed out are NOT slangs AT ALL. Those are called SHORTHANDS, which for ur information is used mostly by the native English speakers rather then the Taiwanese ppl. I dont where u got that impression but u couldn’t be more wrong then that. For someone who’d even say those are slangs, ur just wasting my time. Im not even gona bother.

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“Miss C.C.”]
And u had taken offense to my post, that could only mean one thing. For that, I do feel sorry…for you…[/quote]

I feel sorry for you for being such a doofus.[/quote]

and thats the best u got?

[quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“Miss C.C.”]
And just so u know, this thread is more directed towards those who did come to Taiwan to study Chinese. Clearly, you’re not one of them. The way I see it, there are only 2 groups of foreigners in Taiwan. One they came here b/c they like the culture and they wanna learn more about it and two are ppl who only came here b/c they had to–to teach ESL, their mother tongue. Most of them are not happy b/c they never wanted to be here in the first place and therefore never bothered to learn Chinese. I hope you are not part of the latter.[/quote]
Ahem. We’ll try to let you down a little easy Miss C.C. Poagao didn’t just come to Taiwan to study Chinese. He took ROC nationality. If anybody on these forums can speak with authority about motivations for learning Chinese, I think he can. Perhaps you remember a book on the front shelves of the bookstores a couple of years ago about an American born naturalized ROC citizen who did his compulsory service in the military. That’s Poagao. Before you say anything else about his motivations for coming to Taiwan or taking ROC citizenship, perhaps you should read the book first. I think you can rest assured that he isn’t someone who “never wanted to be here in the first place and never bothered to learn Chinese.” He gave up his US citizenship to take ROC citizenship. I think that proves that he doesn’t mind living in Taiwan. :unamused:
If you find his tone offensive, perhaps you should consider for a moment how patronizing your original question sounds.[/quote]

blah blah blah i couldn’t care less. All i know is this: He aint got anything contructive to say. He said all those stupid things just for the sake of saying stupid things. And i have NO respect for ppl like that. Period.

i do notice a lot of you the so-called forumosans or whatever are all very synical, nagative and just down-rite nasty ppl. I’ve only been here 3 days and already u ppl either have to plice and complain about everything or mind other ppl’s business. This is so not what i thought it’d be. I came here to make friends not enemies. But i guess some of you think its more fun this way. Go ahead have ur fun but not at my expense. Good bye!

That’s right, you clever little pipkin – they’re in the other group. Remember?

That should be “I could care less” and “he ‘aint got nuttin’ constructive to say.” And he has. And you haven’t. You’re just a silly kid with lazy writing. See me after class.

No, its not shorthand, its abbreviation, and the only native English speakers who use it are little kids and lazy twats who don’t mind looking like morons in print.

You’re too easy. I shouldn’t. I really shouldn’t.

Some foreigners are in Taiwan for the money only.It’s not going to well in some countries and people come here to save money.After 3-5 years in Taiwan they can go back to their home country and start a new life.

I guess if you are not from such a country,it will be difficult to understand it.
If you don’t have a degree,the only way to work in Taiwan is on a student visa.I know foreigners that 20 years old,and in Taiwan for the past 1-2 years.
They will have a better life than all the people who are studying in their home countries at the moment.

How did a simple thread about Chinese language end up in 2 pages of personal insults?
Ah, we are truly hopeless now.

The initial post looks to be deleted, but, it looks to have started out pretty harmless, that is until Feiren jumped in and got abusive. Not offense intended to Feiren, I just call it as I see it. I know that it appears pretty rude to post in a way that others don’t understand, but hey, I don’t understand the IP forum either.

A Chinese forum sounds like a good idea. There are plenty of local sites that we could chat on, but they don’t chat about topics that we’d be interested in. There is taipei life.com but they don’t have a very active member base.

People, I don’t know if Miss CC was a troll or what, but if she wasn’t then we just scared off another newbie.

Is she gone??

Sheesh, you guys, I go away for TWO DAYS and this is what happens to the forum???

OK. From my point of view:

1. Pinyin chatting or threads are OK as this is a “Learning Chinese” thread. Anyone who doesn’t understand may politely ask and will surely receive an answer. I see no need to double-post with English translations at every turn. If Maoman decides in favor of a Chinese language forum that’s another issue. (Spanish is gone, BTW.)

2. The “dark” and “light” thing is probably the traditional Chinese linguistic thing with “chuo” and its opposite which I can’t remember at the moment, seems as though it was more or less the voiced-voiceless contrast as I recall, but it’s all quite hazy these days. Definitely NOT the distinction between x/sh and company, however.

3. I agree with Poagao, irritating overuse of slang is very characteristic of non-native speakers, as is the insistance on using an idiom or an “old saying” every available opportunity. But that’s beside the point.

4. Kids, please try to play nicely together. I’m going on a little trip to Hong Kong next week and would like to be able to go up the Peak without coming back to 27 million malicious messages, OK?? :smiley:

Love and kisses from the mod

I thought cc was funny and I hope she comes back. :bouncy: Come back cc we ai ni!

You’re right bob, you do sound like a girl, in both Chinese and English. Did you learn English by talking to girls too? Get tough man.

What’s bringing you to HK? Work, pleasure or just a craving for a different flavor of pollution?

Oh, NO! Now I’ve gone and done it; I’ve lost the respect of Miss. C.C. by saying “stupid things”, on Forumosa no less! Well, good luck to her finding a group of foreigners who are more agreeable and willing to be awed by her immense knowledge of the English language as well as her cross-cultural acumen.

It was an innocent question. But, yes, it was also a patronizing question.

There was a lot of virtual circle-jerking going on between CC and Acid-Dropper guy (“Oh, are you Chinese or Taiwanese? Oh, that’s impressive. Oh, my…You’re Chinese is so good, I really can’t tell. Oh!..Oh!..Oh!!!”)

English - the power language. German and Japanese are power languages. With a POWER language, people trip on three things at the same time:

1. If you learn English, you will make more money. Money is POWER

2. You get the natural ‘learning’ high from learning a foreign language.
    It’s addictive - like building muscle or losing fat and getting a little
    narcissistic.

3. You get the power trip of being elite and exclusive. You can say things
    that only ‘the English speakers’ understand…

Well, CC was curious why we learn Chinese, becuase Chinese isn’t a ‘POWER’ language. That means we don’t get the first of the 3 trips mentioned above. So, to answer your question CC, please refer to points 2 and 3 mentioned above.

CC, some non-Chinese go a little L :loco: CO because of questions like yours, because it is a little patronizing. If you don’t understand, please follow this train of thought: ‘You don’t need to learn Chinese, why are you learning Chinese? You’re not supposed to learn Chinese. We’re supposed to learn English, but you aren’t supposed to learn Chinese.’

But your question is natural, because learning English is something that can be taken for granted. But learning Chinese, for ‘foreigners’, is not something that can be taken for granted - even in Taiwan.

Mostly, I trip on the 2nd point above.

Honestly, I think the board is full of crusty old men. Even when you guys are trying to be nice, it comes off as being full of piss and vinegar. You wonder why newbie don’t hang around for too long.

HEY! I may be crusty, but I’m not old.

P.S.

I too thought it sucked the way the thread unfolded, that was too bad. :frowning:

AC, piss and vinegar is an expression usually used to described young men. That is, someone full of vim.

Mucha Man,

You’re right I meant “to piss vinegar” or “sour grapes.”

Now that this thread has reached 11 pages, perhaps I should caution everyone from being reduntantly redundant. :wink: