Go ahead be maliciously mean to one anther

You’re right… Maybe I’m a crusty old man…

Oh, but that’s no fun, because we’re supposed to be mean to eachother, not to ourselves…

OH, ya, well I think you’re just a little brat. And your retroflexes are screwed up. So shut up and go play tennis.

Anyway, I’m screwed up in the head, so let’s all talk about my mother. When I was 10 years old my mother was driving me home when we passed the local ‘Chinese School’. It’s one of those after-school Chinese schools for Chinese-American kids. You know, Acid-Dropper, the one you hated but your parents made you go.
So, anyway, I say ‘Hey, mom, can I go to the Chinese school? I want to learn Chinese.’ And then my mom laughs. And then I said, ‘Why’d you laugh?’ And my mom said, ‘That school’s for Chinese kids.’
Now THAT’s super-patronizing. But, she’s my mother, and she’s allowed to be patronizing because she actually did change my diapers and wipe my butt.
Funny little anecdote, though.

Mr. Sir,

I was sent to those places at age 5. Had my first crush on a girl that help me tied my shoe lace. Strange how a boy can develop and attachment on a girl after she crushes your toes with her kneecap while proceeding to tie the laces too tight to cut off circulation.

It is kind of funny watching them evolve. At first they were mostly HK runned. Then with more Taiwan immigrant there were a few KMT sponsored ones.

Now with so many Mainlanders they are mostly Shanghai people running them now.

I alway thought the overseas Chinese community would be the last refuge of traditional characters. I could be wrong.

I think Poagao misunderstood C.C.'s intention to ask that question. She made her point very clearly in page one: "I meant WHAT MADE YOU WANNA STUDY Chinese? There must have been something that happened that made you go: “I’m going to Taiwan/China to learn Chinese!” So what was it? Is Chinese important? If it is, in what way? This may seem like a real dumb question to someof ya

Is Shengmar a guy or girl?

Yes.

Lucky shengmar.

shengmar is a girl? :bouncy:

Oh, Miss CC! I’ve finally realized WHY I want to learn Chinese.

It is a survival instinct that has gone out of control, but is actually quite normal.

I am a vehicle of my genes. My genes have programmed me to do 2 things:

1. survive
  2. make babies so that my genes can survive.

So my mind found that one way to assure my survival in society is to up my status, making myself more ‘elite’. A westerner who speaks Chinese in public is, no doubt, as conspicuous as a peacock opening its plumage in public.

Compare my instincts to those of the peacock. When the peacock displays its plumage, it shows that it is healthy enough to do so; since displaying your plumage would consume nutrients, hinder your movement, and attract predators.
Only the peacocks who are healthy enough to be able to afford to show their plumage get to have hot sex with the peahens, thus ensuring the survival of the healthy peacock’s genes. He’s also respected by the other peacocks, who recognize him as the mac daddy, and they will want to be in his graces. Status is worth craving.

So you see, it’s my genes! My genes are making me learn Chinese!

I got all this from ‘How The Mind Works’ by Steven Pinker, by the way. I think he’s right on. We are all programmed by our genes. And we do these ambitious things to satisfy these needs that our genes have given us.

Sinister Tiddlywinks,

Dude whatever it is you’re smoking I want some. That’s brilliant. Long live westernization.

That should be “I could care less” and “he ‘aint got nuttin’ constructive to say.” And he has. And you haven’t. You’re just a silly kid with lazy writing. See me after class.[/quote]

Aaaaarrrrggghh!!! :fume:

This has got to be my top pet-peeve! I don’t know how many times I’ve had to explain it to my little sister (who, coincidentally, is a little like Miss CC in her defensiveness), and now I have to explain it to you?!

When people use this cliche, their intention is to say that they don’t care at all about what is being discussed. If you say, “I could care less,” it means you do care some.

That’s why it MUST be the negative: “I couldn’t care less.” This means the you care so little

Anyhoo…back on topic.

Some months ago, in some thread somewhere, I suggested that forumosa’s administrators add a pinyin chat funtion, such as the one at chinese-forums.com/index.php

If they never get around to doing that, then I guess you guys could just go to that forum to learn about and practice Chinese.

That should be “I could care less” and “he ‘aint got nuttin’ constructive to say.” And he has. And you haven’t. You’re just a silly kid with lazy writing. See me after class.[/quote]

Aaaaarrrrggghh!!! :fume:

This has got to be my top pet-peeve! I don’t know how many times I’ve had to explain it to my little sister (who, coincidentally, is a little like Miss CC in her defensiveness), and now I have to explain it to you?!

When people use this cliche, their intention is to say that they don’t care at all about what is being discussed. If you say, “I could care less,” it means you do care some.

That’s why it MUST be the negative: “I couldn’t care less.” This means the you care so little

[quote=“aprimo”]Aaaaarrrrggghh!!! :fume:

[/quote]

Not sure if you saw this:

[I could care less

It’s deja-vu all over again :slight_smile:

[quote=“sandman”]Hee hee! didn’t get my little joke, did you? :wink: If I was seriously correcting her whatsits, I would hardly be likely to write :‘aint got nuttin’ to say," now would I?
Incidentally, I never even heard “could care less” until I started hanging around with them pesky colonial types from across the pond – we Brits don’t use it at all, I don’t think.[/quote]

I though you were a Scotsman. In which case, you ain’t never had colony over nobody across no pond!

[quote=“daasgrrl”]Not sure if you saw this:

[I could care less

It’s deja-vu all over again :slight_smile:[/quote]

That thread started, no less, by SB. I’ve probably had the same conversation with him. :laughing:

Oh, Miss CC! I’ve come to a more basic conclusion: I want to learn Chinese because… I’m vain! Intellectual vanity: you know:

Sooooooo, how many languages can you speak?

Wellllllllll, I can speak Francais…Parlez-vous Francais?

Oh, well French sucks. I can speak Chineeeeese.

Oh, aren’t you the fancy one?

Yeeeeeessss… I am…the Sophisticated Renaissance Man of Taste… but that name doesn’t fit on Forumosa, so I’ll just be…smiles and winks,

Sinister Tiddlywinks

Sorry, but I’ve just got to be the whiney little pouty foreigner :smiling_imp:

WHat is WRONG with people???

I ran into this conversation among two lao-wais in Hong Kong, and their conversation just mirrored so many things I wonder about in Taiwan… and Hong Kong, too.

Oh, here’s the link:Hong-Kongkies

It seems like the lao-wai go to Europe and just EAT IT UP - the language and culture, I mean. Like - Oh, I’m in Italy! Let’s be Italian, bella! Ciao! And then the Italian response is - YES, you should learn some Italian because it’ll grow some hair on your chest and it’s COOL!

But then these same lao-wai get to East Asia and there’s this DOUBLE FREEZE: 1) the lao-wai are like “I’ll just crawl into my Euro-cave and thank god they have English newspapers here” and 2) the locals are like “Don’t learn our language because it’s a waste of time. Besides it’s too hard - just STOP thinking about it, OKAY?”

WHY? Miss CC? WHY?? Why do you ask such STUPID QUESTIONS? AHHHH~~~! I mean, you could have opened this thread by asking something like:

"Hi, everybody! I’m Miss CC! Just a quick question: Why do you read books when movies are so much shorter and more exciting? Just curious. Hee hee :stuck_out_tongue: "

Here I may go and be making myself unpopular after less than ten posts, but I’ve just gotta respond to this.

Ok, so I can’t see the initial post on this thread because it got deleted but [DEITY], PEOPLE. I’m an American who studied Chinese history in Uni. Nearly everyone I talk to – whatever shade of pink or brown – says “Wow, why’d you want to do that?” I don’t see why Miss CC’s curiosity should be any different; she’s curious not to put you down or make you feel excluded but because it’s unusual and people tend to wonder about unusual things. And, hey, people also often tend to wonder about why others do what they do – it’s like storytime, hey? Sure, you’ve probably had some bad experiences with Taiwanese people trying to get you not to learn Chinese, or imply that you’ll fail if you try. That doesn’t mean that everybody’s curiosity is automatically a threat. Chill out for a sec, da3 a little tai4ji3 and let go.

…as far as translating the side meaning of “chi doufu” – personally I’m glad that someone else explained the idiom because a lot of slang terms, esp. ones that People Shouldn’t Talk About, don’t get translated in dictionaries. I was having to guess until someone translated the idiom (aka ‘explained the slang’) – and while I wasn’t too far off, it was enough that I’d have made a fool of myself if I’d tried to use it, and not quite understood if I’d heard it again.

This entire thread (up until Feiran started yelling at people) was actually extremely useful for me learning Chinese. Because how often do you get to see an actual, authentic dialogue, transcribed (even halfway in romanization!), of people flirting in Chinese? I learned something from this, up until people started yelling and getting personal. This particular forum is very much stuck in “meta-learning Chinese.” Much more time spent talking about learning it than actually, well, learning it – which you accomplish by reading things that are a little too hard, and trying to write things that are a little beyond you. By actually trying to use the language. Which is why something like this is useful.

Oh, and one other thing – about spelling out slang. Yes, it’s a bit awkward, and CC made some slips. But I’ve seen a 45-yo American man do the exact same thing on im. Precisely because he was trying to fit in with abbreviation culture in the online context. People say lots of silly things on chat, and they often spell them wrong (OMG WTF LOLZ). So Miss CC was just being a colloquial chatter really…

In conclusion, let’s all sit back down, my legs are cramping…

Sinister Tiddlywinks,

I was just wondering why you brought back this old thread on top of the list again, after such a long time? Just curious.

I read the whole thing and I didn’t think CC’s question was patronising. I didn’t think Feiren was yelling too loud either. He was just pointing out that what AC dropout and CC did was rude in some people’s point of view. However the response from this MS CC was absolutely RUDE. I’m glad that she’s out and will not return. She had no manners.

edit

Mei guanxi. Women dou shi pengyou. Yishaha’ou ni hao congmin. Women yinggai lienxi xie pinyin. Zhende hen jiu wo meiyou yong. Yexu wo jinbu yixia. Zhende bu zhi dao. Meitian wo jizhu yi ge juzi. Jintian juzi shi - Ni yingai jizhu hao duo youyong de juzi, ranhou xuenzhao jihui shi yong. Nimen ting de dong wode zhongwen ma?