Good sources of info about 228 ('ererba')

I’m trying to find good sources of information about the Big Mess that surrounds the times around the 2.28 memorial day. I’ve searched a bit and there’s some disparity, or maybe some translation problems, about that time. Would you share some good sources of info about this period?

1 Like

About the memorial day or the incident itself?

That period

That’s what I’m asking, which period?

Because there was a process to making it a memorial day.

…the times around and/or about 2/28/47.

History is rarely black and white, but eventually there’s a consistent theme about the what and why of an event.

I don’t think that’s in much question about 228! Search for 228 in Taiwan Politics and C&H here, you’ll find a lot.

Some of the quotes were broken during the forum transfer, but we’ve covered lots of 228 related topics on this forum.

2 Likes

Here is articles about how Taiwanese viewed the KMT prior to 228

2 Likes

I think I also wrote about individual experiences, but so far I can only find one.

1 Like

Thank you -
Yea, looking for some consistency - and context. It sure seems reasonable that such an event would be discussed here, but I never found such threads. The Googles give me a… quite a collection of diverse accounting not only of what happened in those days, but on the times of that period.

…make that a Big thank you. just saw many references :+1:

1 Like

How to tell the story of the February 28 Incident (or “Massacre” depending on who is telling the story) has been a struggle.

If you are in Taipei and environs, I would encourage you—or any interested persons—to visit the two museums dedicated to this history: the Taipei City 288 Memorial Museum located steps from NTU Hospital Station on the Red Line (this was the first museum established, and it has undergone savage changes during subsequent KMT mayorships, which made many survivors and the original museum curator furious); and the National 228 Museum on Nanhai Road, perhaps most easily accessed via Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall Station on the Red Line or Green Line.

To get a sense of how this history has been engaged in the period immediately after the lifting of martial law, you could also attend a screening of the newly digitized classic film A City of Sadness, which has been mentioned in this thread:

If you visit these sites or watch this film, let us know what you think.

Guy

4 Likes

Those who do not learn from history…

‘incident’ ; that’s rich. to trivialize that whole mess into one simple act. I’m reading hundreds of them, until the Taiwani’s just couldn’t take anymore. Thanks for that film reference!

1 Like

Based on developments this afternoon, the struggle continues, as some folks were not exactly pleased that a descendant (or claimed descendant) of the dictator presided over this year’s memorial ceremony in Taipei City. Extraordinary video footage below.

https://twitter.com/DemesDavid/status/1630464871480594432

Guy

3 Likes

Addendum: Who thought it was an awesome plan to have Chiang Wan-an preside over this ceremony? That video is bonkers.

Guy

He’s the mayor. He can’t really dodge it.

It’s a national monument he’s standing in front of, he’s in the center of the frame. Of course he’ll be a target.

Guy

He’s definitely going to be a target, I’m sure he realized.

Focus Taiwan reports on the protests today at Taipei City’s 228 Peace Park:

Guy

1 Like

I’m no expert, and I’m sure I don’t have anything like the full story, but anyway, here are some links (this is a sort of repost, but I’ve tried to rearrange things and shorten them a little bit):

“Foreign News: This Is the Shame,” TIME, June 10, 1946

from Allan J. Shackleton (a contemporary observer from the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration), Formosa Calling, Chapter 5, “Finance and General Economic Conditions”

from Huang Chih-Huei (quoting a contemporary Taiwanese), “The Transformation of Taiwanese Attitudes toward Japan in the Post-Colonial Period,” in Imperial Japan and National Identities in Asia, 1895-1945, Li Narangoa and Robert Cribb, eds.

from George H. Kerr (also a contemporary observer from the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration), Formosa Betrayed, Chapter 5, “A Government of Merchants”

Ibid., Chapter 12, “The February Incident, 1947”

Ibid., Chapter 14, “The March Massacre”

3 Likes