Good tailor in Taipei

I think they’ve raised the price in recent years actually.

I used to get stuff made in Bangkok, until I found this guy:

You can take your own fabric from either of the two fabric areas in Taipei or you can check out the fabrics he has.
I have only had shirts and trousers made so far and I am happy (and I am fastidious).
They are fitted, no 90s cut. He will work with you on the style and get the fitting right.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised. The last time I got a suit made was 40 years ago.

I have to say, I wouldn’t trust a tailor recommendation from someone with floppy shoes and a 60-inch hoop around his waist.

Last time I had a suit made in Taiwan was about 15 years ago and I wasn’t particularly impressed. It was competently done, but the cut (as mentioned by others) was a little odd. And I had a lot of trouble convincing him not to make it out of shiny used-car-salesman material, which left me with about three other options to choose from.

@cake: those guys look a whole lot better than what I got, but I can’t see many suits on the facebook page. Any photos you can post here? Ballpark pricing?

1 Like

Aren’t those the guys Adrien Brody used to shill for??

From the suit jackets they had made for other clients (when I had been there), they looked good. One was fitted and looked contemporary. Another was tailored for a big bellied individual.

I seem to remember the pricing was around 14,000 at least for a suit, but I may be wrong.

1 Like

That’s incredibly cheap. Maybe I’ll buy some fabric to get tailored some jackets in Europe. Fabric is so much from taxes.

http://www.jameslee-tailor.com.tw/

It looks like James Lee has worked for Brooks Bros in Boston. Maybe I’ll give him a try.

Let us know what kind of price and experience it is. How many fittings, does he accept fabrics other than his own selection, does he have the Asian 90s cut etc…

1 Like

Maybe I can get one made at 3 different places, the price of a shirt is around 1500 so it’s not that bad. (Insane because I can’t even buy the fabric made in Italy for 1500nt in Italy) And see which ones does the best job and just order a bunch more once they have my dimensions.

Nothing to add, but looking forward to hearing back from you since I wouldn’t mind finding someone local also!

1 Like

Do those jackets and those pictures look nice to you?

Anyway what did he do at Brooks Brothers Boston for how long?

Brooks Brothers get some bad reviews on being outdated, distant customer service, other. Who uses Brooks Brothers in Boston? Mostly the old overweight fat businessmen.

haven’t used them to myself so I don’t know.

I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt that he is mostly marketing towards older men in Taiwan. I can see it for myself once I go.

That’s a lot less than I paid all those years ago, IIRC.

Those are some serious shoulder pads on that suit he is wearing on the magazine cover pictured. The pants hanging up in the window appear to be hemmed, has that come back in again?

Have you seen The Anthology in Taiwan? There website is under construction but here is their FB https://www.facebook.com/theanthologytw/ and Instagram. They do MTO and bespoke suits and are definitely more western style. They look more casual than business, but look pretty good.

I went to James Lee today to make some shirts. I think I will also make a sports jacket. We talked for a while about suiting and he really understood different styles from British to Napoli. He says he studies the current trend and showed me some how his work that reflect that. Fabric selection isn’t huge but he does have high end ones like from Loro Piana that I will go with. All relatively cheap.

I’m report back but I think he is a good option for those that don’t want the old Taiwanese businessman style.

2 Likes

How did those shirts work out?

1 Like

I had some shirts made at James Lee maybe 7-8 yrs ago, when he was by Jonie Cherie, next to the Sheraton. Didn’t know he was still around, as he hasn’t been by the Sheraton for several years. I ordered them the day before I was returning to the u.s.(!), requesting a more modern fit with a slim sillouete and higher arm holes. They were waiting in my room at the Sheraton the next day, and fit was great. Only issue was a couple thread stragglers, but I give them a pass given the quick turn…

3 Likes

Turned out great. The pants not so much. I think they struggled with my butt and long legs. Not the typical tailoring they have to do. Might be ok if you’re average size.

3 Likes