Good tailor in Taipei

Where can I get existing clothing repaired? I don’t need a tailor, I just need someoone with a sewing machine to put on some buttons that fell off and to stitch up some seams where the threads broke.

It would help if you mentioned your location

1 Like

Taipei? North red line is good.

You could go to the fabric market 3rd floor and speak to a seamstress up there. There may be others in that area too.

https://goo.gl/maps/4AySCn5JLucCaKym7

most department stores will have a seamstress that can do alterations, ask at the information counter.
I have used the one at the Sogo near Zhishan station.

If you can get to Gongguan MRT Station on the Green Line, find Shuiyuan Market, about a one minute walk from Exit 1. Up on the 2nd floor, there’s a cluster of small clothing repair shops ready to help out. Yumei is especially awesome. Closed on Mondays.

Guy

In most neighborhoods in Taiwan there is a seamstress, just ask around.

Bumping this up for 2022.

Sid Mashburn is apparently the new, interesting mens’ office wear line in the US.

I want a tailor to try and copy one of their suits.

Shouldn’t be too difficult in theory, but I’ve never been overly impressed with tailors in Taiwan. Seems like they always cheap out a bit on material.

One of the good things about going to a tailor is that you can choose your materials, it can be as cheap or expensive as you want.

I have tried 2 so far on the island. The first didn’t make the clothes exactly as I had indicated despite providing them a sample. Good fit, though, just the finish wasn’t quite right. Second was half the price for the same material, but when I picked up the pants it suddenly seemed to be different material (and I hasn’t asked for a sample of material to make sure I was getting what I wanted); not sure if this was my mistake or theirs, but I also wasn’t happy with the fit and the service was terrible. Haven’t tried a third, yet.

I’m thinking that going to Vietnam without having to quarantine on return is a real possibility for this summer. But if you find a good tailor in Taiwan I’d be interested to hear about it!

1 Like

You could try the one I used (posted link above). Just try getting a shirt made to see what you think.
You could pick one of the fabrics he has access to, or go to one of the two fabric areas in Taipei to pick your own and take it to him.

I’ve always had better luck buying stuff off the rack then going to a tailor to get it perfected. The material just feels better.

You can pick the fabric though so I’m not sure what you mean. I’ve found really good fabrics in Taiwan that’s cheaper than In Europe because of VAT being so high in Europe.

Maybe you’re not going to the right places. They would have the same exact fabric books as Saville row if they ordered it. I’m not saying the finishing and style is just as good but the materials are completely up to what you pick.

1 Like

The finishing is awful in Vietnam. I had a few done there and it’s super cheap and fast. But not the best construction.

Good to know, fortunately I have enough stuff from when I lived in Bangkok so don’t really need much. I’ll probably try a couple of places in Vietnam since I hope to go there for travel and to see friends anyways. Obviously I’m not expecting Saville Row quality, but if it is as good as Bangkok (where I was never happy enough to go to the same place twice, but still have all the clothes) I’ll be satisfied.

I used to get all my tailored clothes 60 + shirts, 4 suits done in Bangkok, until I started getting them done in Taipei.
My suits were done by one of Bangkok’s ‘best’. Narin.
If you want the best, HK is probably the place to go to.
When I found the guy in Taipei, I did not need to go to Bangkok anymore. Plus you did not need that small window should you need refits - then things get rushed.
If you can get it done where you live, that is the best option.

Try this place. I’ve heard nothing but good things. I went to see it for myself although didn’t get anything as there wasn’t enough time before I needed to leave Taiwan for it to be done. They have an excellent fabric offering and seemed very knowledgeable about everything I asked about. I do plan to get something done next time I’m around.

2 Likes

Where, the place that didn’t do a good job with your pants? I value your opinion (funny how over time we get to know anonymous strangers and some become more credible than others)…

This is a different place. The place I got my pants done was James Lee. I don’t know why, his shirts were spot on for me in terms of fit. But 3 out of 3 pants were not great for me. And weirdly each fit differently. Idk if it’s down to my legs being more difficult than the fittings they normally get as I’m a larger guy but not fat at the same time.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons why i prefer to go to a tailor for pants, not only can i choose my fabric and the style, but also the fit should be tailor-made (pun intended)

I had my wedding suit made by this guy - Google Maps he’s made some things for a few friends of mine too and everyone seems to be happy with his work, I was at least.