Good tailor in Taipei

If any ‘credible’ posters want to see a photo of the linen suit I had made in Taipei in mid 2020, fire me a PM and I will send you a copy.

I can vouch for Grand Tailor. I got my suit from there about 4 years ago. I didn’t go for the most expensive options but the quality is still excellent. If I remember correctly the cost for the pants, jacket, and vest was around 35k.

I got my shirts from Sheep Tailor. Decent quality for about 1k a shirt.

This place, Bespoke bespoke 貝克訂製 ? Was thinking of going there but they seem to want to make it difficult to find them by not providing a usable address, either it’s part of their mystique or they move around a lot! Either way I’ve given up.

Website seems to be dead, gone out of business?

Seems pricey. I have a 100% wool 3-piece from Bangkok, the pants have seen moderately heavy use but no sign of wear, price was less than half that much (can’t remember exactly, so long ago and had a few others things made at the same time). I’d rather spend the difference on a plane ticket to have a holiday and head back to the old stomping grounds in Thailand (or check out Vietnam)!

But, good to know Grand Tailor has the corroborating recommendation (in case I need something made urgently) :slight_smile:

Last time I took someone there, they had opened a new studio in a residential building. Whether they still have that, given the shit show for businesses during the last 18 months?
I found the building, called, they met me outside, then took me upstairs.
Best thing to do is call them and ask. If that studio is not used now, they will work out of their other location in another residential building.

If anyone is interested in something like these I might go find the place that I snapped the picture.

Great examples like the fake military short ducktail and the purple Oscar Wilde-ish long.

I’m looking for a tailored suit and my sister’s Taiwanese friend who works in the fashion industry recommended a couple of places. (She said good tailors are hard to come by in Taiwan so can’t recommend more than a couple. Her husband usually goes to Hong Kong.)

So one is called Gaute and the other is called Styder. Does anyone here happen to have any experience with them?

Gaute: https://www.gautebespoke.com

Styder: STYDER

1 Like

Bingo! I think I found what I am looking for: Gaute. Looks like they do a lot of work for fashion shoots. I don’t like their double-breasted stuff but their modern stuff looks nice. E.g. saw this on their instagram - looks like a shoot for Garmin:
Anyone know what kind of prices Gaute charge?

1 Like

Did some research online and it seems prices start from $20k, and go up to $60k. $80k in some cases.

They seem to be quite well-known in Taiwan. They’ve been featured in Esquire and even Kobe Bryant got a suit done here.

I’m 90% sure I’m going to go with them.

1 Like

That sound fantastic. NBA players know about clothing! I am about 6 weeks out but they are top of my list. I wouldn’t mind paying $60k for a bespoke suite like that. Please post back when you get fitted :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you are going to be paying that kind of money for a suit, make sure the fabric is imported, say Zegna.
No polyester crap.
I would also ask them if they make suits if you bring in the fabric.
And for anything over 30K I would expect fully canvassed and not fused.

I know too little about cloth, please educate me?

I learned reading, but there are useful YT channels now that can help.
I suggest this channel:

Sorry, I’ve decided I don’t actually need a suit to live in Taiwan so I won’t be getting one anytime soon. But please let ME know if you do get one from Gaute!

Don’t say that!
You will make @Yastrubinskiy sad!

Lol :smiley::smiley:

Hi there, after reading through this post it seems that I can provide some relevant info for those interested in purchasing tailored shirts in Taiwan.

I’m Mehdi, the owner of a bespoke shirt atelier in Taipei named L’Atelier Monceau.

We specialize in bespoke shirts and polos, everything from the pattern drafting the fabric cutting to the assembly of the shirt is done by us, in Taipei, nothing is outsourced.

Whether it is a classic style with more room to breathe or a European slim fit closer to the body, we can accommodate different styles depending on our customer’s needs and tastes.

We work with higher-quality fabrics brands such as Albini, Caccioppoli, Alumo, Loro Piana, etc

And yes, since we are one of the few bespoke shirt makers in the country, everything is customizable and adjusted to your size and taste. No more old-style shirts with hanging fabric (well unless the customer prefers it like that :slight_smile: )

Feel free to check our website lateliermonceau.com

I’d be more than happy to personally answer your questions in our showroom around a coffee cup, feel free to pass by :).

6 Likes

What’s the price range for a bespoke shirt?

3 Likes

Keen to know too, thanks.

1 Like