Google Pixel phones in Taiwan?

Google bought the HTC pixel team.

High End prices (Google Store) too -
Pixel 4 = TWD19680
Pixel 4XL = TWD29550

Google will finally release Pixel 4a on August 3rd!

1 Like

My Pixel 2 is still going strong as ever. The not so wide angle kinda sucks for when I want to take pics while riding, but everything else works fine on it.

2 Likes

I have been using Xiaomi A1 for almost 3 years now. It was cheap and did not have all that MIUI bloatware on it. The Android One program has been nice. I am getting regular security updates every month.

Now I want to upgrade because I really want NFC for digital payment and a faster phone.
I hope Pixel 4a will be available in Taiwan from the start.

1 Like

I’ve been using these since 1, upgraded to 2, skipped 3 and then got a 4. All have been flawless, until I dropped my 4 on a tile floor from 2m without a case. My bad. So I dug out the 2 and it fired up, did the update, and it is still running great. The design is, well, not great, but everything is still running smooth and fast.

Also hoping they offer the 4a on day 1 here. I think they will as they’ve been discounting the 3a recently.

1 Like

I really don’t like it. I bought the 3a XL about 6 months ago. I’ve used Samsung for years but thought I’d give pixel a try. It freezes all the time and the processor is really slow. I regretted my decision to buy this phone within the first month. I’m going back to Samsung as soon as this contact is up. Only 18 more months

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you got a dud.

1 Like

It probably won’t be available in Taiwan at launch. Those are currently the countries with confirmed launch:
US, UK, Ireland, Germany, Australia, Japan, Canada

1 Like

Taiwan is on the list:

Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India (coming soon), Ireland, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States

2 Likes

Taiwan was not mentioned previously.
You can preorder it in Taiwan for 11990 TWD.

Haven’t pixel phones always been designed in Taiwan??

Be weird if you couldn’t buy them here.

That’s a decent price point. It is so much better to buy a phone outright especially at the $11990 rate.

Consider the overcharging the carriers do in Taiwan. Pick up a phone magazine at a carrier, and they want a few thousand nt for even the crappiest phone outright and then $999 a month for the plan on a 2.5 year contract. And a wicked cancellation fee too. Go for something nicer like a s20 and the monthly rate increases $1399 or so plus a huge buy in and buy out fee. There is no ‘free’ phone in Taiwan on contract they just bury the costs in the plan and fees.

I have been buying my phones in the States when I go to visit , as they are so much cheaper. But at the pixels price point I will buy it in Taiwan.

1 Like

It happens a lot, especially to laptops. The same model in Taiwan is usually more expensive and has worse specs that the equivalent overseas model. Sometimes you can’t even buy certain models here.
e.g. why is the Pixel 4a 50USD more expensive in Taiwan than in the US, if it is manufactured in here?

Really happy to see this up on day one (pre-order) in Taiwan. Had some wishful thinking that it would have some water protection, I know its not likely at this price, but one could hope right? Anyway, since it doesn’t, I’ll hold out for the 5.

Same. I’ll wait for the 5 and decide if the higher price is worth it.

1 Like

The excuse for why laptops cost more in Taiwan was that the monitors have to be imported.

But there are a lot of screen companies in Taiwan?! AOC, AU Optronics, etc.
Samsung is big with screens, but not the only one.

There are people on this forum who have more inside knowledge for sure.