Google Pixel phones in Taiwan?

you tried two cables, but do you know they work? I can charge with an a-c cable, even with my crappy old 1amp charger.

Yeah, they both work. Can charge other stuff with them no problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

:man_shrugging: might try a new cable anyway. USB can be somewhat finicky. I have different a-c cables and chargers in my travel bag, 2 cars, and and they all work with my 7. I have c-c at bedside and home office.

I did actually try a third (brand new) one after my original post, with the same behavior - just forgot to mention it above. I’d have to be extraordinarily unlucky for it to be the cables at this point, since they still work just fine on other devices…

Maybe… Or your phone is a little f’d up. But I’m actually not sure how unlucky you have to be vs USB C being generally finicky / a lot of cables actually not meeting spec even if they generally work.

Leung used to have a running list of good / bad cables (there were a lot of bad ones). you can find it on… shit, it was on his Google+ page. :wink:

In one of my vehicles, I went through multiple known working cables, that worked with my old pixel 3 and various chargers and computers, before I found one that would work in that car (more specifically that aftermarket Kenwood headunit) with Android auto. it’s been a champ with every phone since. :man_shrugging:

Hami Pay is not compatible with Pixel 6 or 7.

Need app to redeem Hami Points.

“Hami Pay”?

Guy

Taiwan has lots of different payment systems.

1 Like

My Pixel 5a does not have a Pro Mode for camera (I read that all Pixel phones don’t, but you can confirm). Does anyone have a recommendation on a good camera app that allows you to manually adjust settings such as ISO, shutter speed, exposure levels, white balance, etc.?

Black Friday - Limited Period Offer
From now until November 28, get your favorite Google items at great prices.

https://store.google.com/?hl=zh-TW

1 Like

Those prices are sadly pretty ridiculuous vs Europe/USA - the Pixel 7 is at 499USD in USA or even less with Google Fi (which you could cancel after 60 days). Considering taxes the 7 should go for 16.999ntd, and the 7 Pro for something like 21.00NTD.

Not to talk about some ridiculours good trade in offers in US - where you can basically get a Pixel 7 for free by trading in some old phones like Iphone or e.g. 395 USD trade in for a Pixel 6 (reducing the price to 104 USD).

I rather want to wait for a Samsung S23 because of Snapdragon Gen 2 and the likely much better battery life - but a good offer now for the Pixel 7 would get me buy one (wanted to buy in Europe but I left for travel towards Taiwan before the Pixel 7 Pro would have arrived).

My Pixel 5a just died - it blacked out while in use, then won’t turn on and won’t charge… :frowning_face: I got it in the US in March, and it’s not sold in Taiwan. It’s still under warranty, but can I get Google to honor the warranty in Taiwan? Anyone has similar experiences?

3 Likes

If it’s anything like the trade in program they have (had?), I believe warranties may be region locked, but don’t take my word for it.

You can consider bringing to one of those quick fix places in Taiwan and see how much it’ll cost to fix. Sometimes diagnosing what the issue is won’t cost much, just make sure you clarify beforehand!

1 Like

Double post alert!

Seems like my Pixel 5 is on it’s way out. Battery is not as strong as it was before as it used to stay above 85-90% with minimal use and now it’s down to around 75%. I was really hoping to get another year out of it since my 2 lasted me over three years.

Now I’m just contemplating between the 6 and 7. The ball and chain has the 6 and she’s surprisingly happy with it. It’s going to be tough to let go of the rear fingerprint reader and super compact size though.

I am leaning more towards the 7 with the double 12 offer from PCHOME for 15,790 and the additional 789NT discount with Pi錢包, but maybe after 2 years of use my 5 just needs a factory reset…

The issue why I asked for a replacement after purchase did in the end manifest. Google support affirmed back then that the gap was normal and not a problem. Well, after two years the screen detached itself. I think it is possible to fix, but I am not sure it is worth it.
Many cheaper and older devices work just fine to this day, degrading battery the only issue, which is expected. Not satisfied with that build quality of Pixel 5, a premium phone at that time.

I use Pixel 6 right now and the build quality is much better.

2 Likes

6 Pro seems quite robust.

Everything I’m reading now about the 7 are upgrades (in my mind) from the 6.

It’s lighter and smaller screen (I don’t really need that big of a screen) and I would really prefer to have the phone fit in my pocket. Also need to wrap my head around getting a new phone after only 2 years of usage. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Google customer support told me to bring it to TWM for repair. The TWM engineer told me they are not authorized for that model, and they don’t have the schematics or the parts so there is nothing they can do. It looks like I have no choice but to send it back to the US if I want to pursue the warranty repair.

Battery replacement might be worth it. I own a Google Nexus 6P that is notorious for its battery problems (otherwise a great phone). I had the battery replaced for a few hundred NT’s after 2.5 years, and it’s still going strong 3.5 years later. I had mine replaced here: Redirecting...
You might want to check with them.

1 Like

So far I am not impressed with Google’s Customer Support: they first suggested taking my phone to TWM, which was a complete waste of time for all involved, then suggested that I send it to Japan for an out-of-warranty repair. When I inquired about an in-warranty repair, they transferred me to someone else, repeated a lot of the same questions, then realized that I purchased it via Google Fi, and transferred me again… The Google Fi agent said that they can do an exchange but can only send the replacement to a US address. When I was ready to do an Advanced Exchange (i.e. they ship the replacement immediately but put a hold on my credit card until they receive the broken phone), then they say wait a minute, they can ship to Taiwan but only with the Standard Exchange (shipping the replacement after receiving the broken phone). When I wanted to pursue that route because of what they just said, they asked for my US shipping address. Confused, I asked why they would need my US shipping address if I want the phone shipped to Taiwan, and they said they can only ship to a US address… It’s extremely frustrating!

I got three quotes that range from NT$4K to NT$5.5K as it’s most likely a motherboard issue. I bought the phone for $216 USD so apparently I am not going to fork over that much to get it fixed.

I am now considering getting a Vivo X80 after the Pixel 5a fiasco - I have lost faith in Google phones. Even my US$99 Moto G Power lags less than the 5a and doesn’t overheat… If getting a new phone after only 2 years is hard to wrap your head around, how about after 8 months? Especially considering that this phone would cost about the same as my previous 5 smartphones combined (Yes, I have been cheap/lucky/unlucky when it comes to tech toys)…

Google offers me an NT$450 discount code for the misinformation of being able to get my phone repaired in Taiwan… What should I do with it? Don’t think I am interested in giving them more money…

BTW, I did pick up a Vivo X80. I did not like the idea of getting a Chinese phone, but every phone is made in China nowadays, so what’s the difference?