Google Pixel phones in Taiwan?

Sorry, should have specified online store…

Sadly Google seems lost on this one which is disappointing given how much extra time they had.

The 5 is $200 more than the 4a 5G with very little to show for it, and $699 is a big price for a decidedly mid-range phone. That the 4a 5G won’t be available until November seems too convenient. :thinking:

The camera stuff looks really nice as expected but save for the ultra-wide lens, most of the photography upgrades are software-based and will probably roll out to earlier Pixels eventually.

1 Like

I would gladly pay for the IPX8 waterproof specs as I need it when I’m out and about on my bike. Running into rain while I’m out is likely, can’t have a bit of rain destroy the phone.

I’m guessing the extra bit is for the wireless charging as well. I don’t really use it wireless charging, but I assume it can come in handy one of these days.

However, I see where you’re coming from. The processor isn’t top of the line, but the price tag is.

All in all, it’s a better phone than the 4 and I’m due for a new one as my 2 will unfortunately be dead soon.

1 Like

Why do Taiwanese people pronounce 5G as 五居?Is 五機that hard to pronounce?

There is a reason, but I forgot.

1 Like

It’s a midrange chip that they are charging quite a lot for. I’ll be grabbing an LG or Xiaomi soon with the latest snapdragon 865 online for a similar price. Although I get the draw with pixels. Software updates regularly, limited bloatware, and great camera.

I used to run a LG G5 for a few years and got caught in multiple downpours and typhoons and it had me wishing that it was waterproof…(it wasn’t). I had times when I got home and the phone was literally dripping but it never died. Although when I took it into LG for a microphone replacement they said the components were all rusted inside although the phone was still running.

That’s why I think the Pixel 4a is the best choice of the new bunch. $349 and you get the Android updates, limited bloatware and the same primary camera. The lack of a wide-angle lens isn’t a huge deal and some of the photography features that are exclusive to the 4a 5G and 5 are software-based and will be added to the 4a and older Pixels as feature drops in the future.

Paying an extra $350 for IPX8 is overkill. For $699 there are better phones.

3 Likes

For me I put a lot of priority on the speed and snappiness of a phone so I usually get the top of the line chipset which future proofs the phone for me for 3 to 4 'years. Camera is a close second but as long as it takes semi decent pictures that’s OK as they aren’t used professionally. Screen quality is a close 3rd. Battery life is also big.

I find the pricing here in Taiwan kind of weird.

Price difference from 4a to 4a5G is 150 US$, but in Taiwan just 4.000 NT$ (ok, that’s almost the same)

BUT price difference from 4a5G to Pixl5 is 200 US$, but here in TW only plus an extra 3.000 NT$ (that’s only additional 100 US$ more).

If that would be NOT a price glitch, then the Pixel 5 would be an extraordinary good deal here !!!

Pixel 4a roughly 415 US$
Pixel 5 roughly 660 US$ (that’s cheaper than in the USA !!!)

That can’t be true, or ???

My two phones cost 38,000 ntd, so about 656 usd each.

Well, in some european countries you have to pay 21.000 NT$ and for a limited time they are throwing in Bose Q35ii headphones for free.

That’s a sweet deal as well.

Now let’s see what Apple has in mind with its new iphones, especially the very promising mini model (which should be also priced in a similar price range).

So it appears the reason for the cost increase in the US is the inclusion of the mmwave 5G radio in addition to the sub6 radio found in the rest of the world versions.

Apparently Verizon is only doing mmwave which necessitated this while the other US carriers are using both, starting with a focus around sub6.

Here’s a summary of the differences…

And some additional info…

If one doesn’t care about 5G then I guess it doesn’t matter.

In Taiwan, it seems most carriers bought spectrum in both the low (sub6) and higher (mmwave) band frequencies, but I couldn’t find anything regarding rollout plans for each.

I’m a little annoyed by this but honestly by the time I consider moving to 5G, I’ll likely have whatever the new model is and the Pixel 5 will become my second phone. :roll_eyes: :smirk:

Thank you for those explanations …

So I guess it is still 2-3 years too early to switch to 5G. And honestly the speed of 4g here in TW is good enough for most people.

I have ordered the basic 4a for myself today.

2 Likes

Pixel 5 have 5G mmwave only in the US, which makes them more expensive over there.
mmwave is not practical IMHO. Just something for marketing to show off super fast speeds omitting that you need a transmitter on every street light to get consistent coverage.
And it also adds additional battery drain.

Did you get yours @squall1 ?

I saw the Taiwan prices from Taiwan Mobile and 18,990 for just the phone, which isn’t that bad. If you buy from their online store there’s some gifts too.

https://www.myfone.com.tw/buy/prod/P0000203312736

Will be delivered today or tomorrow I think.

I went to Taiwan Mobile and checked out the phone in person. While I was there at the front desk inquiring some information, two people came by and asked if there was availability.

The phone itself actually is no bigger in size than my Pixel 2. It’s incredibly light and I noticed immediately that without the flagship processor, photo processing was a tid bit slow. However, that does not really bother me.

I put my name down to get notified when they would restock. Excited to get mine!

1 Like

I preordered Pixel 5 and got it last Saturday in the mail. A day late because of those geniuses at 黑貓宅急便 (Black Cat).

They stuck their address label on top of the previous one, but used a shitty printer that didn’t print part of the label!
Then their delivery system claimed the address and phone number is non existent! (part of it didn’t print)

When I called them to find out what is wrong with my delivery, they insisted that they can not change the address. Until they understood their shitty printer was at fault. :man_facepalming:

So far I am very pleased with the phone. It was an upgrade from the aging Xiaomi A1.

4 Likes

Black Cat sounds like the FedEx of Taiwan.