Government making things impossible with my contract

I’m an English Teaching Assistant. I only co-teach for teachers who could and previously did their job with or without me. The only reason I’m important is because the city wants every school to have a foreign english teacher. Which is why I ‘coteach’ - one day a week, I go to a different school to teach. It’s an asinine system - I’m totally useless at this other school because I don’t really see the students often enough to really make effective lesson plans.

As I’ve said here, it’s really not such a big deal if I quit. But since the prinicipal wants another white teacher as a 拍照 for the school, I’m going to do everything in my power to get her one.

By the time I hope to quit, I will have worked an entire actual academic year. I’d be handing it over to a new teacher in time to pick up after me. If Taiwanese schools didn’t have such stupid termination clauses, this wouldn’t be a problem.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, if the government didn’t fuck up my plans to make this work, it wouldn’t be a prob.

• I specifically requested a 1 year contract from Feb - Feb and they only gave me a 6mo.
  • Then we told the fucking idiots at city government that my contract was just a bit too short for an ARC. So we applied for a work visa. But all of this takes like a month.
  • So mid fucking march, the govt comes back and says “hey idiots he needs 健保” and school is like “well he can’t get that without an ARC.” city govt idiots literally say “well why didn’t you get him an ARC?”
  • So then city goverment demands we add arbitrarily month and a half to contract (since it’s now mid march). I’m happy to do this because I want to get ARC. That said, I ask if instead of just adding the month and a half, can we make it a full year - february to february. They say no.

Seriously, i’ve tried so many times to just get a feb to feb contract and every time they shit themselves and freak out. So now I’ve got a senseless Oct-Oct contract. So please stop moralizing about it and just give me an answer. Fuck the govt. Its okay for them to arbitrarily add a month and a half to my contract but God forbid I have any say in the matter. The MoE here in TC has been of no help to me and their advice has actively got the school to do unnecessary work on my behalf just to have to reverse that after the fact. So long as the school gets the new teacher – which I will do everything to ensure – I don’t give a fuck what the government has to say because they have been impossible to work with and put no value on anything I say re: contract.

1 Like

The school year is not from Feb to Feb though. Why would a school want a teacher for a period that is outside the normal school year?

I thought you hadn’t signed it yet? My suggestion is do not sign it and don’t take the job. Worst that can happen is look at termination clauses for resigning. Then look at if that affects you getting a scholarship. Hate to see yourself have scholarship cancelled because you don’t want to commit to the school offer of contract. There can always be these little consequences that pop up. The school also needs to give you a document for you to leave and get an ARC for something else. Delays on getting it could be an issue.

You will if they don’t grant you a scholarship or ARC to study Chinese no?

1 Like

it’s no different to them if it’s from Feb-Feb or Aug/Sept to Sept, as is made clear by them being totally okay with Oct to Oct but not Feb to Feb

Just to be clear - is this document a termination of the job or is it a form specifically for reapplying ARC? If I were to go with bogus explanation route, that would obviously present a problem.

Well up to you really. Sign and it and resign then if that’s what you want to do. Just don’t tell us about it. :slight_smile:

Oct to oct suits them more. If you don’t continue, you will have a hard time finding a new job since the semester has already started. This makes a lot of teachers do one more year….forever

The cram school I worked at used to do it for that reason. They can get a replacement in during the summer. They get trained up while the old guy is still there. The old guy finishes his contract and then struggles to find a new job because the semester has started.

Or the old guy finishes a month earlier because they have a new job lined up and they lose their contract completion bonus.

1 Like

Need it for other job arc not sure for scholarships. Better you ask the scholarship provider that you plan on using a bogus reason to quit your government teaching job and will that cause a problem?

@tempogain can u please move this back. I think it explains my situation in a bit more detail and would be helpful to have there.

I don’t think it’s relevant to the legal question which was made totally clear in the OP, we do try to keep that forum focused on such questions and free of moralizing as you say. If you want I can make a thread in TEIT or you can start one.

what is tiet

Na i suppose if u can link it over to increase visibility that would be cool and very helpful and appreciated