Group date dilemma and where to go to eat and who/what to pay

I had this happen before, its better than being short of money.

1 Like

Less so for splitting the bill and moreso inviting a vegan to go eat and pay for killing animalsā€¦thatā€™s a bit out of line. Like serving a pig on a spit to a religious group that are off the hogs. Not just incredibly rude, but literally very unintelligent.

Hard to believe they are actually her friends to be honest, to ignore a very obvious core moral she has in her life. Then to ask her to pay for something that goes exactly against what her ethics are all about. Speechlessā€¦

edit. whoops. old thread, nevermind. but still astonishingly thick.

2 Likes

She could have asked to have another tofu- or veggie dish. Not really her friendsā€™ fault that most restaurants do not cater much to vegans, which are still a minority. I eat keto and if I go out to eat with people I do not complain about all the rice I could not eat.

Not at all like ā€œserving pig on a spit to a religious group that are off the hogsā€.

I have thought about paying more when splitting the bill when I obviously ate more than other people, but usually itā€™s as awkward to offer to pay more as it is to ask to pay less. For this reason I usually try to avoid eating more and go for cheaper options.

The friend should have considered about what meal options were going to be available at that restaurant in advance. If she decided to go along then she should foot her part of the bill and not whine about it.

1 Like

Yes and no.

the thing with people not wanting to kill animals is that she is being asked to do just that by paying for it. Unacceptable in my opinion. itā€™s not so much she couldnt eat very much because it wasnt really her type of food. It is really against her way of life and asked to pay for it, which directly supports and encourages the activity she has made a lifestyle to not support.

I shouldnt put words in her mouth. but it is a douche move to do. If I had a vegan friend and planned on taking her out, for a blind date no less, I would choose somewhere she could eat. and I surely wouldnt ask her to pay for something she is against. Nor would I ask a Muslim friend to go half in on the pig.

Should be common sense, even for non friends.

We just had this issue 2 months ago with our family. Tom mother in law out (veggie) and EVERY dish ordered had meat. every one. it was her brother that ordered everything. sometimes the lack of thought, and seemingly selfishness, in some people really confuses me.

5 Likes

You are reading too much into the story. If she was vegan as zealously as you are describing, she would have checked where they were going before ending up there. Clearly, she did not care about that too much. She felt bad about the amount she was being asked to pay, as it was not proportional to the amount she partook in the food. I very much doubt she was thinking about the suffering of animals. She was thinking about her wallet. We have a vegan colleague at work, so should we only frequent vegan restaurants henceforth? If you choose to be vegan then keep it to yourself or make it an issue and people can know to avoid you.

1 Like

Is his name Colonel Lingus?

Fair points. Though I would say it is still a dick move to try and setup your vegan friend on a blind date at a place she cant eat lol. Itā€™s not about eating at a vegan restaraunt, itā€™s about caring about your friends enough to make sure they can have a full belly too. just seems like the most bare minimum of respect to me. Like taking a vegan friend to.mcdonalds because they have french fries.

Just lacks true friendship vibes in my opinion. Indeed she could could of done research prior, but it seems like that shouldnt be necessary in a friend group. just pick options everyone can go to :slight_smile: call me crazy!

3 Likes

So one time, a client from USA visiting Taiwan for factory visit in Linkou, New Taipei and showing our wind farm in Wanggong Fishing Port, Changhua. In our Linkou office, we have dinner in one of the fanciest restaurant in Linkou. It was mainly a seafood restaurant. One of the client said he is allergic to seafood. In the end, he barely touch the food.
Then, the next day, driving, each to their own car. Dinner, hastily arranged by my local colleagues, Taiwan specialty, one of those middle-of-nowhere seafood restaurant. I am pretty sure that my colleagues hear that the dude allergic to seafood the day before.

1 Like

Generally I agree, but in my limited experience the only places thereā€™s anything for vegans to eat is at vegan restaurants. Vegetarians are easy, vegans less so.

1 Like

Guess it depends where one goes. we never have issues with finding good food for vegans and meat eaters in the same spot.

If they knew beforehand, unacceptable. and very unprofessional. taking clients out is suppose to be to wine and dine THEM not ourselves lol. even if they didnā€™t know beforehand, once he said that they should have left and found a new spot. Itā€™s your business relations for fuck sakes. That one makes me more speechless than the selfish friends.

5 Likes

1 Like

My Nonna howled at this scene.

Some people called that a movie. I call it a mirror.

1 Like

What would you do? You have these invitees to dine.
Invitee A: carnivorous and allergic to peanut
Invitee B: eat halal only
Invitee C: eat kosher only
Invitee D: vegan
Invitee E: no root vegetarian
Invitee F: octo-lacto vegetarian
Invitee G: allergic to seafood
Invitee H: allergic to gluten and lactose intolerant

What kind of restaurant that you book for all invitees?

1 Like

7-Eleven with seating outside near a busy intersection in Taipei

4 Likes

Obviously cater to the ones with allergies, that is literally a safety issue! Priority.

Otherwise hotpot is always a safe go to. So is going Dutch :slight_smile:

Though it would be quite impressive if the group is inviting all those people out for blind date at the same time. smarter to break it up a bit, or go for drinks after everyone eats on their own.

3 Likes

Invitee A: no coffee, coz drinking coffee means drinking tears of Colombian peasants
Invitee B: no tea, coz drinking tea means drinking tears of Indian peasants
Invitee C: no alcohol, due to religious issue
Invitee D: lactose intolerant
Invitee E: only drink absynthe
Invitee F: only drink beer that distilled traditionally
Invitee G: only drink fizzy drinks
Invitee H: only drink mineral water, allergic to alcoholic drinks

I am on Keto, can I go?

1 Like

If your circle of friends looks like that, you need new friends.

3 Likes

You canā€™t dance, then you are blaming the dance floor?