Guitar repair and shop services

Typhoon Guitars (formally Yangming Custom Guitars) is back in business.

Website is www.typhoon-guitars.com

I offer not only guitar related services (setups, refrets, fret level, bridge repairs, and other structural repairs), but I also offer machining and CNC services. CNC service is on an approval basis as I do not own the CNC machine but they are owned by the next door CNC shop, and therefore the quantity must be enough that he would stop his machines to work on yours.

Address is New Taipei City, Xingjhuan District, Xinshu rd 138

3 Likes

Best of luck on your new (revitalised) enterprise, bro.

Could have used you a year ago, while all the guitar shops technically offer this service, they’re pretty fuckin ham handed and you wouldn’t want them anywhere near a good quality instrument.
Glad you’re back. :+1:

1 Like

Yea, that ham handed crap is exactly why I offer this service. People tell me “blah blah why dont you go visit a music store and say you offer blah blah” and I told them what those shops tell me: We offer repair services too. Except their customer either gets turned off of instrument repair in general or they become my customer (if they are lucky) because they screwed up their precious 150,000NT guitar. I seen all kinds of stuff those guys do, including using Titebond II to reglue bridges (it will not come off without damage, in case you are wondering. Titebond II is water/heat resistant). I seen a guitar fixed with gorilla glue… in case you are wondering, they do NOT look pretty. I use it to fix shoes and nothing else (the expansion helps glue uneven/soft surfaces that shoes tend to have). Picture someone spraying PU foam onto a guitar… At least shoes don’t cost 150,000, not yet anyways.

1 Like

Shout shout out to

@Taiwan_Luthiers

He fixed up my practice banjo very nicely. Put in the rail road spikes nicely. Fixed up my faulty banjo head piece, re fixed my 5th gear tuner, and generally made it sing as well as when I first bought it in fact better. His price is very fair too. If you need your guitar fixed , or if you have just bought one take it to him for a good set up. This guy is a craftsman of the highest order with zero marketing skills. @crusher recommends him highly. Just got it back today.
Uploading: 20210629_200301.jpg…

8 Likes

Give us a blast of Deliverance then…

1 Like

All that is needed is a funny attempt to play a sad song on a banjo.

1 Like

I have the tab for that. Forgot the entire song off the top off my head but can play it if I look at the tab. It is a nice song, better than Foggy Mountain break down which seems to be the one everyone knows.

1 Like

@Taiwan_Luthiers
This may be worth a try.
https://www.kickstarter.com/make-100

Anybody want to help TW launch the project? Obviously, if we help, we expect compensation for our efforts (like a percentage of profits, not revenue generated, from preorders). But this may be something to help launch your brand.

I think there are a lot of good ideas here. I honestly think that @Taiwan_Luthiers needs a business partner. This would let him work at what he is good at, while letting the other partner take care of the business side of things.

1 Like

Agreed. His expertise is in making the guitars. That’s why I’m asking if some people might be interested with helping him to launch a Kickstarter. We could do what we can to help as a side hustle, while offering him the skills he doesn’t have to make the project happen. And in return, we get a cut of the profits for our help.

I’m going to need help launching a kickstarters because you must be an American citizen or whatever to use it…

I would welcome help in the business side of things so I can concentrate on making guitars and I’d be happy to share profits. It’s better to do that than worry about work I’d never get otherwise.

1 Like

It’s possible to launch in the US as a business entity.

It sounds like I must be incorporated, and that isn’t something that I can do at the moment…

The cost to file an LLC varies from state to state but ranges from $40 to $500.

I’m going to need an accountant to do this, it isn’t just the cost of filing.

Ok when I get my customised banjo back from Taiwan Luthiers I’ll record it lol

2 Likes

Finished making brass tone ring for banjo. Next I must inlet the pot to fit the tone ring.

Hi TL, I hope you don’t mind lots of suggestions on helping you find ways to sell the guitars (it is, after all, a buy/sell post – if you prefer you could ask a mod to split the thread into that and a discussion thread). I realize you may lack confidence in how to market and how to photograph the guitars.

My own opinion is that A) for works in progress, you show them on a cleaner workbench; a handful of wood shavings and a tool or two nearby won’t hurt, but all the clutter in the pick JDSmith pointed out makes for a bad photo. B) for finished works, don’t limit yourself to your apartment. Take a couple small cloths with you as padding, find a nice park bench with greenery or flowers behind it, and set it on that (with the small cloth pads hidden but protecting the finish). Or any other clean, attractive background in the neighborhood. Or a blank wall space in the apartment, failing that. Here’s just one idea, for instance, not that you’ll find that pretty a bench easily here.

YG GL1 photo idea

Better?

A big sheet of black velvet will also make a decent backdrop, even a clean attractive couch. That’s what I did for my Cross 2.0 guitar when reviewing it elsewhere. I took pics with my cellphone, adding a swing lamp off to the side, and trying photos with and without that, and with and without the flash turned off on the phone, then looked to see which looked best.

(Clearly, black headphones and a black Snark tuner do not do well on black velvet, but the rest do.)

And even a cleaner, in-apartment shot will be an improvement. Two examples:
portable

Cheers, and best of luck!
-DB

4 Likes

@Taiwan_Luthiers good advice there. I’d also suggest setting up a corner or a wall specifically for photos. You could set up a green screen space and use a computer to generate different backgrounds. 11 Best Free Green Screen Software in 2023

2 Likes

Do this as pointed out in multiple posts above.

Dont do this, it undermines confidence in the product. If they are faking the background, what else is fake/edited.

Your last shots are a a lot neater just be a little more aware of closing cupboards and moving dusty chairs.

Just like everything on your guitars are placed for a reason, do the same with your photos. After all, they are the ones selling your work to new people.

1 Like