Gun-Law Expert Opposes Arresting Kerry in Shotgun Incident

Don’t Arrest Kerry In Shotgun Incident, Gun-Law Expert Says

Gun-law expert Alan Korwin is calling for calm, in the national uproar over John Kerry

Peow Peow Peow…I used to play Cowboys and Indians when I was a kid. But only when I was a kid. Then I grew out of it.

Americans obviously havn’t.

And now they are using guns in politics. What a leathal combination.

“Dangermouse” [quote]Peow Peow Peow…I used to play Cowboys and Indians when I was a kid. But only when I was a kid. Then I grew out of it.

And now they are using guns in politics. What a leathal combination.
[/quote]

American has a gun problem because the politicians are too ineffective against the NRA, which is filled with Republicans. (Yes, I already know that Michael Moore is a member).

The end result is that America is filled with guns and right-wing gun nuts, who believe, like Squid does, that average people should be allowed to own semi-automatic weapons which have no purpose other than to be taken out of their houses by their sick children to be used against other children (We all remember Columbine, don’t we?).

The best way to end the gun problem in America is to have folks like Squid sterlized. Then we can have a nice and peaceful future. :smiley:

[quote=“cableguy”]

American has a gun problem because … America is filled with … gun nuts, [/quote]

I would say you left out those middle bits you’d be a lot closer to the truth.

After searching the web for references to what you’re talking about I didn’t find a thing. Can you provide any links?

Sure, hey, I have nothing better to do than look up every last detail for someone who is too lazy to go to Yahoo and do a ten-second news search.

A picture is worth a thousand words, or something:

The expression on Kerry’s face is priceless: “holy shit, what the fuck do I do with this thing?!?!?”

And hey, here’s another story about it:
biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040907/nytu290_1.html

[quote]At a Labor Day campaign rally yesterday, Sen. John Kerry accepted an ironic gift from a labor union representative. The gift, a Remington model 11-87 shotgun commonly used in hunting and recreational shooting enjoyed by millions of Americans, would be banned as an “assault weapon” under a bill that Kerry is co-sponsoring.

“The semi-automatic shotgun that Kerry accepted is one that he’d like to ban under his bill known as ‘The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003 (S. 1431).’ Kerry tells union workers that he’s a hunter, but the truth is he would ban their shotguns,” said Lawrence G. Keane, senior vice president and general counsel of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF).

Keane said several sportsmen’s groups have pointed out that Kerry’s effort to cast himself as an avid hunter do not square with his anti-gun votes as a U.S. senator. In various photos Kerry appears unaware of proper firearms handling. The Hunting and Shooting Sports Heritage Fund is advertising in national sportsmen magazines and on the Web site, voteyoursport.com, to illustrate these points.

Kerry was given the shotgun by Cecil Roberts of the United Mine Workers of America. The union represents workers at a Remington factory in Ilion, New York. Last year the union urged Kerry to support a bill to end frivolous lawsuits against firearms makers (S. 659). The suits threaten manufacturing jobs. However, Kerry voted against the bill.

Remington President Tommy Milner said, “Rest assured, Remington was neither aware of this presentation in advance nor in any way supportive of its intent to support Senator Kerry’s candidacy. In fact, the company remains amused by ongoing photos of Senator Kerry shooting without either ear or eye protection while discharging a firearm.”[/quote]
Of course, this doesn’t point out the numerous felony violations that Kerry committed by accepting the gift (mostly in GCA68, the Gun Control Act of 1968 passed under Johnson, but also state laws in Massachusetts).

But you folks don’t know about any of these laws, because you’re too busy calling for new ones that you also don’t understand.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Peow Peow Peow…I used to play Cowboys and Indians when I was a kid. But only when I was a kid. Then I grew out of it.

And now they are using guns in politics. What a leathal combination.[/quote]
Yeah, well, we always have. What was 1776-1814 but a political dispute, after all.

Or, more recently, 1963, when ACLU member Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed NRA Life Member John F. Kennedy.

Then there was Squeaky Fromm, who didn’t even know how to turn off the safety on the 1911 she tried to fire at Gerald Ford.

“MaPoSquid”

Someone should alert the media. MaPoSquid has proof that Oswald Killed Kennedy.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … 855762.jpg

U.S. Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry holds up a shotgun presented to him at Labor Day celebrations in Racine, West Virginia, September 6, 2004. REUTERS/Jim Young
[/quote]
MoPO Squid [quote]The expression on Kerry’s face is priceless: “holy shit, what the fuck do I do with this thing?!?!?”[/quote]

Well, if it were Bush holding the gun he would damn sure know what to do with it: hand it over to some soldier and then send him to Iraq to fight a war Bush started which was based on a lie.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][size=75]Don’t Arrest Kerry In Shotgun Incident, Gun-Law Expert Says

Gun-law expert Alan Korwin is calling for calm, in the national uproar over John Kerry

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“MaPoSquid”][size=75]Don’t Arrest Kerry In Shotgun Incident, Gun-Law Expert Says

Thanks. You were next on my hitlist. :wink:

I think certain classes of people should be encouraged to own guns. This would encourage certain other classes of people behave themselves. Think of it as affirmative action, Texas style.

Lot’s of ifs in the article instead of clear facts. As well I wonder: isn’t the assault weapons ban still active or is that an additional (type of) gun that he wants to have added to the ban?

In response to your first implied question: No, the facts are very clear.

(1) Kerry accepted a shotgun as a gift.
(2) Kerry was in West Virginia at the time.
(3) Kerry is a Massachusetts resident (although he may claim dual residency in D.C.).
(4) The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits receiving a firearm in any state except your home state, with the exception of a purchase in an adjoining state from a federally licensed firearms dealer (aka “FFL”).

(5) Kerry’s crime warrants a five-year prison sentence.

In response to your second question, the shotgun in question is not currently covered under the 1994 Omnibus Crime Act, of which the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban is a part. The AWB94 sunsets (ends) at midnight EDT on 9/13/2004, which was approximately an hour and fifty minutes ago. Kerry did, however, sponsor legislation in the Senate which would have banned the shotgun that he was handed.

In response to Maoman’s metadiscussion of what to post and what not to post, it is difficult to post a link to an email that someone sent. Further, I don’t see what the problem is; it was not overly long and it was a single subject, pointing out Kerry’s hypocrisy and criminal activity.

Tigerman wrote

quote Kerry accepted a shotgun as a gift.
(3) Kerry is a Massachusetts resident (although he may claim dual residency in D.C.).
(4) The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits receiving a firearm in any state except your home state, with the exception of a purchase in an adjoining state from a federally licensed firearms dealer (aka “FFL”).

(5) Kerry’s crime warrants a five-year prison sentence.[/quote]

Tigerman,
Are you suggesting that Kerry be prosecuted for accepting the gun? If no, then what is your point about this non-issue with Kerry? If you are, isn’t that a bit silly? After all, what if he didn’t know what the law was pertaining to accepting such a gift? (I am sure many American people don’t know that this particular law exists).
Aren’t you really just making a mountain out of a molehill?

CG,

I didn’t post that. Maposquid did.

However, you did state that you didn’t trust gunowners or people who carry guns… or something to that effect.

Does Kerry not own and or carry a gun at times?

[quote=“cableguy”]Are you suggesting that Kerry be prosecuted for accepting the gun? If no, then what is your point about this non-issue with Kerry? If you are, isn’t that a bit silly? After all, what if he didn’t know what the law was pertaining to accepting such a gift? (I am sure many American people don’t know that this particular law exists).
Aren’t you really just making a mountain out of a molehill?[/quote]

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.

Are you suggesting that Kerry’s transgression of the law be condoned and or overlooked?

[quote=“cableguy”]Tigerman wrote

quote Kerry accepted a shotgun as a gift.

(5) Kerry’s crime warrants a five-year prison sentence.[/quote]

Tigerman,
Are you suggesting that Kerry be prosecuted for accepting the gun? If no, then what is your point about this non-issue with Kerry? If you are, isn’t that a bit silly? After all, what if he didn’t know what the law was pertaining to accepting such a gift? (I am sure many American people don’t know that this particular law exists).
Aren’t you really just making a mountain out of a molehill?[/quote]
Well, first off, it was me, not Tigerman, who posted that.

Second off, yes, I am suggesting that he be prosecuted under the laws of the United States of America, which he as a Senator is supposed to follow – nay, not merely to follow, but to set, and to set an example of following.

Third off, who gives a rat’s ass that some people don’t know that this law exists? Any gun owner who has ever purchased a firearm has been made more than merely aware of it; said gun owner has been forced to wait for a minimum of five days under the Brady Act law that Kerry ramrodded through back in 1993.

Fourth off, no, I don’t think it’s a mountain out of a molehill. You’re the one who fears and loathes anyone who would dare to possess a firearm. I think you should be more afraid of that lying criminal, John “Flip-Flop” Kerry.

Fifth, how about you learning how to read and quote posts so that you don’t confuse me with Tigerman hereafter?

[quote=“The Magnificent Tigerman”]CG,

I didn’t post that. Maposquid did.

However, you did state that you didn’t trust gunowners or people who carry guns… or something to that effect.

Does Kerry not own and or carry a gun at times?[/quote]

Tigerman
Very sorry, Squid did write that. :blush:

I said that I often fear people who carry guns, but certainly not all who carry or own them. My point was that when many “average” people with no need to have weapons have them, it makes life more perilous for the rest of us who don’t have them.