Guys: How do you feel about girls making the first move?

[quote=“Erhu”]But what about doing it 7th grade style. Having a friend of the girl approach you with “Hey, what do you think of my friend over there?..”
Is that too juvenile? Cause I’ve had friends do this to me, sometimes with and sometimes without my consent.[/quote]

I think it’s a great way to save the pain and humiliation of a direct rejection. If you’re not interested, you can say something like: “She’s absolutely gorgeous and I’d love to get to know her, but my girlfriend/wife would be as jealous as hell and skin me alive if I did.” And if you are interested, then hey ho and away you go, you’ve nothing to lose and everything to gain by letting the friend introduce you. Even if it turns out that she doesn’t really want to get chummy with you, you can chat and joke a bit with the friend, then make your excuses and scoot without any loss of dignity.

Regarding the “7th Grade” technique, it’s ok by me, and it’s actually worked and that’s how I met 1 or 2 old girlfriends.

Something that I think is important, that I’m not sure the guys realize, that seems to be pretty important with women, especially Taiwanese women from my point of view, is they like to feel that fate brought you together. That she just stood out from the crowd. Or that how you met was resonably romantic.

Something like out of luck you met, coincidence, your hard work to steal her heart, or something that you did that just took her breath away, or something along those lines.

This didn’t seem to matter much for the American women I’ve met, or friends with, but it’s met alot to some Taiwanese I’ve met, or are friends with. I think it has to do with the fact that Taiwanese are fairly superstitious. This or that is always considered good/bad luck… A year, month, blood type, etc…

It definately doesn’t matter to those that have totally given up on meeting people or talking to people and have resorted to on-line ads, which by the way I know work (a few friends happily married this way).

Sadly the 7th grade method only worked for me twice. Once during 6th grade camp before the big dance, thanks to my friends finding me a date during free swim (wearing a hot pink bikini didn’t hurt my chances). Once in 7th grade when the target of my affections circled yes. I think I still have the
“Do you like me?
Circle one:
Yes No Maybe” note I gave to Josh Tolson in math class back in 1991.

Perhaps it’s time to start passing out notes again…

A woman doesn’t have to be aggressive to make the first move. I feel comfortable with making a move when the feeling is right, and I am very comfortable with gettting a straight answer, whichever way. Nobody hurt, straight talk. I’m too old to put up with morons, as somebody said earlier, and unnecessary very small talk. The no-nonsense, yes-or-no approach is great. For everybody, I think. :slight_smile:

I don’t know, my luck at being successful when making the first move has such a low frequency. You’d think that every once in a while one would hit the target, but one of my more reasonable relationships happened because I made the first move and damned if it doesn’t have me optimistic that it could happen again.

I guess even broken clocks are right twice a day, but how many nanoseconds have to pass between those two times?

:smiley: Hey girl, you must keep in mind we’re living in Taipei, not New York / London / Cape Town :wink: :sunglasses:

:smiley: Hey girl, you must keep in mind we’re living in Taipei, not New York / London / Cape Town :wink: :sunglasses:[/quote]

Exactly…so out of 86,400,000,000,000 tries (the number of nanoseconds per day) you have your affections aimed right twice. I think I’d have better luck winning a multimillion dollar lottery back home than landing a good relationship in Taiwan. To be even more optimistic, I’d have a better chance of being struck by lightning than in getting a man.

:astonished:

It is sad