Hair loss - AHHHHHHHH!

I’m an American reading up because I’m considering working in Taiwan for a year, and this post motivated me enough to register on here.

I started losing hair about when I was 18. At 26, it was becoming quite noticeable. Rogaine seemed to help a little bit, as did Propecia, but the enemy was still making inroads into my scalp. Every time I looked in the mirror it was the first thing I’d notice, and I’d always look at my hands when shampooing my hair to see how many strands had fallen out. I’d worry about it constantly.

Then I shaved my head a few months ago. It took the urgings of several friends, and there was some definite hesitation as I stood in front of my bathroom sink with a razor in one hand and an electric trimmer in the other.

After four months, I’d never go back. Even if there was some pill that could magically bring my hair back, I wouldn’t grow it again. Bald is awesome! Trust me, after a few weeks, girls tend to like it a lot more. Sure, you’ve got to buff up so that you don’t look like a cancer patient, but everyone should be exercising and lifting anyway. BTW - I used to be a twiggish 130 pound, 5’8" guy and I’m now up to 160 pounds of solid muscle. It CAN be done. You want to look better anyway, don’t you?

Now every time I look in the mirror, I see a sexy guy, not one who is showing the signs of age. I’ve done better with women, and I save money on haircuts, and rogaine, propecia, whatever…plus I don’t ever worry about how my hair looks. Imagine life like that!

It’s always funny, how trying to convince other balding guys of this is like convincing people from the 5th century that the Earth is round. I think that it’s the mind so strongly associating hair loss as a bad thing, that intentionally removing it all is immediately perceived as being negative. But razoring it off is a CHOICE. It is a STYLE. Being bald might not always be the BEST style for every situation, but at least it IS a style.

Male pattern baldness is NOT a style. It SUCKS.

So make the best of the hand that nature dealt you and go for it! I don’t know ONE guy who has shaved and regretted it; it’s just a matter of having the courage.

Other notes - I shave every other day, and it takes about 10 minutes once you’ve done it a few times. Being tan along with it is a must in the US, but maybe this is different in Taiwan - I’ve been told that pale is more attractive there.

Good luck! If you still decide against it, I hope that at least whatever supplements/pills you’re taking work for you.

To each his own. I like a buzz cut. I thought I looked like a drill sergeant, but the wife won’t let me do it.

A great article from the Economist on human hair and its evolution:

economist.com/science/displa … id=2281888

[quote]
If fat is a feminist issue, then baldness is a male one, according to statistics compiled by members of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. The main reason a man will have cosmetic surgery (apart, that is, from botox injections) is for the transplantation or restoration of his hair. Roughly the same number of American men are having their hair revived as women are having their breasts augmented. In online chat groups, bald men from all over the world discuss their misery and inability to attract a mate (or

[quote=“Bassman”][quote=“headhonchoII”]To me products that ‘stop balding’ are the ultimate easy money. If the hair doesn’t fall out immediately people think wow this is working. If it does continue falling out the customer in his desperation switches to another one.

I’d be especially dubious whether they can identify the factors that cause hair loss by putting your hair under a microscope, and voila, diagnose you as a must have for the same product they sell in their shop. Suckers…[/quote]

Not only has it stopped balding but it has helped with some regrowth.
If it didn’t work I would try another but that doesn’t make me a sucker. Klorane is working.

I hope you never need it.[/quote]

Sorry if I appear insensitive. I have experience working in the marketing area and it seems the clinic selling Nioxin and doing the diagnosis in the same place will be ripping off customers. There is not doubt about it. The sales people will use whatever tiny evidence they can find to promote their own product…it’s just human nature.

I also have a very strong biological background and realise balding is caused by many factors, mostly genetic.

I have heard that anti-balding chemicals do work to some degree so I am not criticising people in using them. I just think that the above clinic is ‘taking in’ people. The clinic should obviously be independent to the product.

I have minor balding…I’m really dont want to offend anybody who is balding…As for the above statement ‘klorane is working’ that is impossible to prove unless you used it on one side of your head :wink:. From your own observation you might be able to have a guess that it is working. But if you keep using it and nothing more falls out I dont see the harm!!!

As for the statement from that American ‘eveybody should be lifting weights this days’ you are a sucker too. I noticed that when I lived in America…there seems to be huge pressure on everyone to be buff…as if it was natural for this to be the case…weird.

My parents were biological too.

I also agree. This is a ripe field for snake oil salesmen to reap some serious cabbage.

Klorane. It’s French. It works, for me anyway. It’s natural.

[quote=“Bassman”]Klorane. It’s French. It works, for me anyway. It’s natural.[/quote]Which is more than can be said for your hair :laughing: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

What has happened to Father Dougal Maguire? Has he been hanging around here too much? He is becoming more and more like the rest of us. Not a great trend.

dear bassman,
as far as i know there are a few things that help according to chinese medicine. one is called “san yao”. another is a tea called 'huh so wu". huh so wu is famous for making grey hair revert back to normal color, and it’s also supposed to help hair grow healthily. i can’t guarantee anything, but this is what i’m told.
also, i have read that normal shampoo actually contains a chem that will kill hair folicles! it’s called sodium lauryl sulfate. every shampoo uses it or a form of it. i have seen some on the net that say they don’t, so you might try that.
also there is an herb called saw palmetto that is supposed to block bad DHT, the stuff that kills hair folicles. DHT blocking is how preocipia works. saw palmetto is supposed to do that without the negative side effects to your sex drive.
hope that helps.
ran the man

There may be hope yet!

Scientists are nearer to cure for baldness

what’s the chinese for that? I know someone who would be interested in trying this out…

thanks

Finta(finasteride) costs about 1500-2000 for 30 tabs-chop into four = 120 tabs = 4 months = ±nt $ 400 per month.
It works well,I have been using for some time. Side effects are minimal.Also good for prostate.
Buy in bulk and save(buy 10 boxes,get 1 free),so ask around.
A better product will soon be available,Dutasteride,so keep asking.