Haircuts in Taiwan

Because everyone is arguing over how to fornicate with arachnids, I thought we could talk about something I enjoy.

The best thing in Taiwan is getting a haircut.

The hair wash, the head massage, the delicate hand of the stylist. It can’t be bettered.

I walk out of the salon feeling a million dollars after only spending $500-$1000nt. That’s less than a barbers’ short back and sides from home.

If you have a different opinion, you’re wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m gonna slowly back away and head back to Taiwan Politics.

3 Likes

It’s been a challenge to track down my hair salon owner since Level 3 kicked in.

It must be hard to be in this industry right now.

Guy

I guess we should be still grateful that they are open here in Taiwan. It took a good few months in Europe till hairdressers were allowed to open their businesses. I have seen my friends with funny haircuts, even those who have never had long hair.

Is there a solution yet?

I have been holding off since Level 3 hit, but it is getting to the point where it’s pretty ridiculous. This marks the longest time I have not had a cut since I could remember.

I won’t argue that a visit to the salon is worth every penny. You leave feeling fresh and a million bucks, even though you’ve spent less than 1000.

3 Likes

Fifty Dollar Hair cuts. I have almost no hair. But SHE does a good job my wife and kids.
I’ve seen a few, scattered in different villages. Ask some locals.
The one we use has the ground floor of her house fitted with two Barber Chairs.

Whether she is a legal or illegal business, she still has her covid barcode to scan and abides by the rules.
Ask local friends

2 Likes

Now THAT is a deal.

Then again, aren’t you in rural Pingtung somewhere? :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

The OP reads like a post from 2000’s era forumosa, there’s something a little gross about it.

In all truth I’ve never got a decent fade here. It always goes from 0.5 to number 4 in the space of a few centimetres. The $700 cut place near me stare blankly when I talk about clipper attachments, they have no idea what a number 1,2,3,4 is. They vary the length of the clipper cut just by manually moving the bare clippers slowly away from your head.

Are you sure you are not just titillated, rather than genuinely pleased with your haircut?

1 Like

Yes. So scale it up to the cost of a one person business in your area.

Funny about Taiwan. Even if you live in the country, you live in the city.
I mean, every one lives together. Sometimes, entire families share one street or Alley.
They don’t like living out of town. They leave their crops and animals outside of town and come back at night.
This concept blew my mind when I first was exposed. You say this is the country but it’s a small City.

My point, I’ve spent a night or two in Taichung, Tainan and Taipei. Same alleys, same small one person business downstairs. We got our expensive Salons on the main street too.
We have one or two 50NT places within 20 KM that I know about. Personal connections drew my attention to them.

We also have Several 100NT places and a lot of expensive places.
If you look I bet you can find a friend with a relative who cuts hair.

So… don’t talk. Find a picture of what you want and show it to them and let them use whatever tools they are comfortable with.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not you whose mind is in the gutter?

How can talking about feeling great after a hair cut be gross? Strange. And typical.

I’ve been cutting my own since hotel quarantine

1 Like

Very nineties mid western townie/goth style. Impressive.

Now I know who @TT is when I see someone with half a head of hair.

Have not paid more than NT100 for a haircut in the last 20 years. That is what I enjoy.

3 Likes

I don’t think that Hairdressers are required to close under the current L3 rules, though I stand to be corrected if they are. We normally get ours cut from one in Minsheng East that my partner has known for decades, and he is still open, but doing little business, all from a few dedicated regulars. So we are just going without, and in my case there isnt much on top anyway, though the sides get untidy. We pay Zero (usual cost for a normal haircut is about 1000) though we fund the lunchboxes when there.

In Sydney when I get a haircut, I just ask for a “Number 2” and it costs me the equivalent of about TWD400.

2 Likes

Gotta agree that the head spa experience is pretty nice.

1 Like

If you’re talking about the one on Minsheng E Road with the barber pole out the front, backing on to a sort-of recreation area, he was about TWD300 last time I went there, although that was several years ago.