Half of Taiwan's cram school teachers may lose their jobs | Taiwan News |

those links are all leading to irrelevant or dead pages, but I’ve dug around the site and found quite a few other things that I could get that school in a lot of trouble for…but nothing about the hours for working. I’ll have to contact the LSA. Hopefully there’s someone who can at least answer some direct questions

Wasnt there already an article about this where someone was ranting about the same thing? They should also cover other foreigners too like foreign students who are suffereing more.

How are foreign students suffering?

From what I hav heard.

No classes
No work as most service businesses are running limited staff, cram schools closed
Expensive to return home.

So suffering in a similar way to most English, cram school teaches.

1 Like

One interesting line from this article is that it says eligibilty for aid depends on “whether [employees] receive the minimum wage”.

There was some confusion previously because it was claimed that only “full-time” staff were eligible. This would suggest that it’s based upon earnings as opposed to the number of hours worked.

…which is cool.

1 Like

Foreign students? Studying Chinese?

It’s summer vacation for all the other students. I fail to see how they are suffering more.

They can’t work summer jobs so their income could be badly affected. Local students are able to apply for subsidies. Local students can rely on family . It’s also very difficult and costly to fly home and back.

I think it’s pretty easy to understand why foreign students could face a lot of trouble.

Under the plan, students or members of their family who have been recognized by universities as having been financially affected by the pandemic can receive subsidies from the ministry through the institutions, including emergency student grants and rent subsidies for off-campus housing, it said.

The Ministry of Labor has also offered a NT$10,000 subsidy to eligible part-time workers, many of whom are students with financial difficulties, the union said.

However, the relief programs are limited to Taiwanese students, it said.

3 Likes

That’s an equal level of suffering, no?

What am I missing here?

Read what you wrote and what I wrote again. I never said they are suffering more. I replied to your comment. Don’t drag me into your capon measurement argument.

OK, I missed the word “more” off my initial response to @amitkattal . You then dragged yourself into my “capon measurement argument”

It’s no big deal. I was only interested in how foreign students were suffering compared to foreign cram school teachers. Lots of things interest me.

interesting, please tell me more

2 Likes

I don’t see many cram schools opening anytime soon. Staff fully vaccinated plus two weeks and a PCR test every week. A lot of people in for a lot of pain.

3 Likes

rapid test is also acceptable…but yeah it’s going to be a while…most cram school teachers and staff don’t even have one shot yet right?!

4 Likes

However, in the case of cram schools, they cannot open their doors until all employees have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days, according to the Ministry of Education (MOE).

This is not true.

Google translation of what MOE said is

If the staff has not been vaccinated or the vaccination is less than 14 days old, they should provide a quick screening or PCR test negative certificate within 3 days before the service is provided for the first time. And it needs to be screened regularly every 3-7 days (screening every 7 days in principle, and the emergency treatment should be shortened to screening every 3 days).

They don’t need 80% vaccinated.

1 Like

Right, not even one shot yet for most. Really??? Rapid tests are ok?

So the news article is wrong?

If I understand the announcement from MOE correctly.

Taiwan News’s report on this kind of things are sometimes correct, but sometimes not correct.

Uh oh @BigDave . You’ve only gone and done it now! Spreading covid rumours!

Time to run to the hills!

My school is not bothering to open for face to face classes. Along with all the rules they have to follow and the teachers not vaccinated fully etc, the parents don’t want to send their kids back to the school anyway. I guess alot of parents around Taiwan will do likewise.

2 Likes