Half of Taiwan's cram school teachers may lose their jobs | Taiwan News |

If not vaccinated, then you take a test every week. That is what my school is saying.

I think the reward - more students joining, more students retained - will ultimately be given to the first movers here. Too many parents seem to be itching to get their kids back into the defacto daycare, especially now when WFH is by-and-large going away with the loosening of restrictions. A Taiwanese buxiban teacher I know says at her school it seems to be about a 70/30 (resume class/maintain online) split on parent opinions. I wonder how that anecdote holds up to the situation at large.

My friend’s school seems to be divided by age. The parents want the young kids out, but are fine with the older kids at home.

1 Like

That is normal for summer. In sept, they will want everyone out.

Yeah, it just seems logical that they go back to the cram schools when they go back to classes in September. Gives the schools a month to get vaccinated.

Taichung City Education Director Yang Zhensheng said that a stricter requirement than the central government is that all faculty members must be screened at the medical institution at their own expense before applying for the resumption of classes. They must have a negative test report from the hospital. There must be no quick screening. The cram school is a profit-making unit. The requirements for this self-funded screening are reasonable.

Wow. This sounds like a really good idea. Who is going to check to be sure people test themselves? Who is going to see that the classrooms have adequate ventilation? Many schools I’ve seen have no way to ventilate the rooms with fresh, outside, air

3 Likes

That’s beyond dumb. Taiwan still isn’t doing mass testing and one dose of a vaccine is practically worthless against delta. Have they considered the reality that delta is highly transmissible and often asymptomatic?

1 Like

There are so many shady companies in Taipei I’d never trust that the majority of these places to comply with these rules. I just visited a brand new chain school location 2 weeks ago. Beautiful place but none of their classrooms have windows that will open to fresh, outside air. these frauds are going to really kick the infections off good. How they can allow this with brand new infections occuring each day is beyond me. I’m sick of the lockdown but my God !!! Imagine transporting kids to these places only be locked inside wearing masks “filtering” the same gasses everyone is exhaling. Really rotten.

3 Likes

Just read this headline

Everywhere needs to get CO2 meters. Only when they start doing that I will see them taking it seriously .

1 Like

They’re no delta right now. But that doesn’t take away from your point, there’s the reality that very few teachers will be double dosed soon.

1 Like

The fear is strong.

Well damn. The same would have to apply to teachers who don’t want the jab. This will end up in court though it will take a long time.

The real circus begins shortly

wait for it… even after teachers get the vaccination the parents and the schools will ask for teachers to show negative test every week… but not the kids…

2 Likes

Based on who’s been tested, no. But without mass testing I can’t say I find their data trustworthy. I hope TW really did quash all delta cases, but I can’t really trust them until they start doing random mass testing. Look at the places with high full vaccination rates that tested positive for delta.
But also, how many weeks between doses? Two months? You’re still only 60-70% protected with one dose. Better than nothing but the kids aren’t vaccinated!

2 Likes

Are you sure that one jab doesn’t mean fully vaccinated? My coworkers have been acting like they are immortal since they got theirs.

My manager was also saying that the 50 inside means 50 in one room. So 100 spread over 5 classes is fine.

Rules are gonna get interpreted very differently by people.

1 Like

A lot of parents are not bothered about covid. They are not worried at all. In fact their kids have been going to kindy this whole time.

Do we really need to pull up that data? I assume you’re asking in jest. Shove all the data in their faces please.

As for loose interpretations, there’s always 1999

1 Like

I thought it would be obvious that I am joking.

I’m not sure my coworkers know the stats though. Or they just don’t care?

Luckily I only see them through the computer.

Why would I call 1999? I don’t agree with a lot of the mask rules. The only point I was making was that before they got jabbed, they followed the rules. Now they have had one shot, they feel invincible.