Half of Taiwan's cram school teachers may lose their jobs | Taiwan News |

You are sharp!! (genuine, not sarcastic comment, if such exist anymore). Actually it’s not even a conscious thing that I do, it’s just the way that things happen when I use Swift typing or Auto correct is turned on when I’m voice typing. For example when I say my University name, National ×× University, with the name deleted, it is not a conscious decision and, under normal circumstances, I would not capitalize the word University.

I’ve worked in cram schools for 12 years. I’ve never been ashamed of this experience. In fact, I use it to guide my in-service teacher trainees. Being a teacher at any school in Taiwan, CRAM school or otherwise, gives you good face.

Lots of money in the hands of old folks! :grinning:

1 Like

Oh my goodness, you’re adorable. Let us know when you get tenure :grin:

1 Like

One can only dream of tenure, in the current climate. Not sure how adorable I am, but I try to be genuine. I’ll take your praise at face value and be glad to have made a new friend :blush:

Dream away! But as you must know, there is no formal “tenure” in universities in Taiwan. What you’re aiming for is promotion into the associate professor rank, which functions as a kind of de facto tenure though it is not named as such.

Guy

1 Like

Well, there are 專任 positions open. However, often at poor schools, with very strong competition, or simply hiring project outfits profs under false pretenses.

An associate professor certificate would be attainable, but requires a school/department with the willingness to put you in line for that process.

Yeah, complicated. I do know foreign profs that have proper tenure, but they’re worked like dogs.

You mean Turton never got tenure? :laughing: Can I call them or can I call them? :joy: :joy:

Taiwan’s Legislative Election Results - Politics / Taiwan Politics - Forumosa

1 Like

It’s hard to chew my way through the old code, but were you @Chewycorns once?

1 Like

Couldn’t Possibly Comment - YouTube

1 Like

You will notice that these are translated as “full time.”

That’s the language used for university positions in Taiwan, not “tenured.”

Cheers,
Guy

Naw man, it’ll just be forgotten, to be replaced by a NEW five-year plan! Much better, amiright?

1 Like

I skipped a few dozen posts, so I’m not sure if this has already been addressed or not after the first few posts, but regarding the question of who qualifies for these subsidies, I checked the source of the source:

國內疫情嚴峻,全國大停課至6月14日,不少 補習 班、兒童課後照顧中心沒學生,收不到學費而陷困境。 教育部 編列8億元特別預算給予紓困,補貼補教業員工 薪資 及營運成本,但只補貼本國全職員工,不包含用時薪或臨時聘僱人員。補教業者對此則表示「有總比沒有好」,補教界受停課影響大,大家哀鴻遍野。

If 但只補貼本國全職員工,不包含用時薪或臨時聘僱人員 is accurate and written by someone who understands the terminology, the subsidies do not apply to anyone who

• works part-time for a buxiban,

• is paid by the hour (regardless of the type of contractual relationship),

• was hired on a “temporary” (臨時) basis, or

• is foreign. :doh:

I assume more information can be found on the Ministry of Education’s website.

3 Likes

and they don’t say hourly paid workers are not included who are not included are part-time workers. [I checked their Q&A, and found hourly paid workers are not included]

must be at least one

I’ve recently been told tenure-based contracts exist but also mean accepting local salary levels, so the job security comes with a high financial price compared to a project-based contract (which is what I’m on now). I’m getting this information from an expat trying to make the contract shift for visa-related reasons…

I’ve been on continual annual contract renewal as a full-time instructor for 6 years. At least 3 of those years I’ve had some friendly “encouragement” to enter a PhD program (sometimes taking the form of “an offer you can’t refuse”). And for 2 of those years we’ve been warned about birthrateapocalypse’s effect on our freshmen enrollment numbers and what that means for the future of our programs and retention of staff and instructors. I feel I’m always on a knife’s edge. I just got my latest renewal for yet another year on this merri-go-round. But long term job security doesn’t seem to be in the cards. I stay at it because I enjoy the teaching environment of a university, but if teaching remains online and travel remains a thing of the past then the benefits of lots of vacation, no desk warming, and a fun campus atmosphere kind of become meaningless.

13 Likes

University administrators want this as the proportion of instructors with PhDs will affect how they are assessed externally, including by the MOE.

Guy

1 Like

I love everyone speculating on how much a buxiban can make. It is much less than you might think. Around every corner is an expense. When the school starts firing on all cylinders, then you make the big bucks. But it comes at a cost because you sacrifice years of investment and reinvestment followed by years of growing toward maximum profit.

The good part of running a buxiban is that there is a (relatively) low initial investment. I pay for my rent and electricity. My wife and I can run our school by ourselves if the times get tough. Our business can get really lean.

So how much do you make :grin:?

2 Likes

Just give real numbers.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t have the time or passion to pursue a 5-7 year degree that may not even be fully recognized in other countries. If it comes down to pursuing a PhD or leaving academia, I will have to choose the latter.