Hands Across Taiwan on 2-28

Well said, lol. Ditto for me. I think all foreigners who participated in the event, felt this outpouring of emotion too. Remarkable and touching, yes, just for being there.

The Drudge Report lead with the story today, but interestingly, they chose to link to a story from a Singapore Yahoo news report from AFP (granted, most likely filed from Taipei). Perhaps the word has spread beyond these shores that the Taiwan English newspapers, all of them, cannot provide adequate, unbiased coverage of local events.

Watching it on TV, seeing the different coverage by the different channels, it was very clear which was on whose side, but more than that, was the remarkable enthusiasm of those participating in the DPP event versus the going-through-the-motions slightly disoriented pan-blue rally.
The was also a bit of a hang-dog attitude and intimations from the blues that said, “We know we have been a corrupt and irresponsible party, but we promise that we will behave if you give us this chance.”
I don’t think people are really buying into it.

The South China Morning Post is also quoting 1.2 million. I’m impressed regardless. Wish I’d been there. Missus Huang popped over to HK to visit me this weekend. We tried to encircle the PLA barracks but despite it’s oddly narrow base, we just couldn’t do it.

The SCMP is also mentioning a band from Jiangxi played at the Taiwan gig out the front of the Presidential Palace. When asked if they were worried about repercussions they replied, “haven’t thought about it yet.” Nice touch, but could someone advse them to seek political refuge?

HG

The AP got its figures by phoning one of the organizers’ media people shortly after the event.
Whatever the number of people, it was quite an impressive event, getting so many people together in all the right places.
It’ll have a positive effect on Chen Shui-bian in the opinion polls, but only until the next “event” bursts loose, whether a quarrel, scandal allegations, the referendum debates, etc. That’s the way the media works, they go from one event to the next like a pack of hounds.

The only thing I didn’t like about the human chain was the obvious political overtone: the 228 commemorative element was just an alibi, there were huge amounts of election banners and shouts of Ah-Bian Dong Suan! Also, on the corner of Zhongshan S Rd and Ketagalan there was this Japanese slogan “Chinamen, go back to China!” (Chinajin, China e kaeri) which sounded awkward and racist. If this is Taiwan, why have a slogan in Japanese? It also sounded like it was directed at the mainlanders in Taiwan, and that’s hardly the message of ethnic harmony the event was supposed to reflect.

You also had the DPP aspect in Yangmei, but heck, when it comes to protecting Taiwan, then DPP have more of an interest in this matter than the morons in the KMT.

In Yangmei alone, the turnout was several thousands and as a foreigner you got tonnes of attention etc.

So the line did not make it all the way thru?

If that’s the case poor planning, as we actually had 2-3 layers in Yangmei, which btw is run by the KMT.

The Los Angeles Times reported this story, but the main reporter was shanghaied apparently in Hong Kong, he couldn’t even make it over. This was on the San Jose Mercury News website.

1 MILLION-PLUS LINE UP TO BACK LEADER, URGE PEACE

[Tyler Marshall reported from Hong Kong, Tsai Ting-I from Taipei.]

Which other world newspapers reported on the event, and what did the CHINA DAILY in Beijing have to say?

Wonderful event, fantastic spirit, roaring success!

It showcased the best of Taiwan and its people, and was certainly even better than the most optimistic expectations. How could any but the most die-hard supporters of the pan-blue camp not be influenced in favour of the pan-greens and all they stand for by the atmosphere and spectacle of such a rally?

I went to 228 Park, because I wanted to be in the thick of the action and take in some speeches and showmanship by a few of the pan-green biggies while enjoying the pleasant surroundings and sharing the festive family atmosphere of the occasion. But I didn’t get any kind of response like that described by Lol:

Perhaps it was because I was only one among dozens of foreigners there, but I didn’t receive any special attention at all, and not a single thankyou or handshake (I wasn’t expecting that, but certainly it would have been pleasant). In fact, although I felt less excluded than I would normally at a Taiwanese political event, I was still treated markedly differently from my wife: she was given a hat to wear, while I was not.

Anyway, it was a thoroughly heart-stirring experience, I’m extremely glad I found the time to take part, and I’d love to have another opportunity to participate in something like it again.

Unfortunately, although it should give a bit of a boost to A-bian’s cause, I’m sure it won’t be enough to swing the election his way. In that regard, I have to disagree with the BBC correspondent’s assessment, which suggested that it might mark a turning-point in Chen’s favour in the election campaign.

One more thing: Any comments as to whether or not it was appropriate (or would have been appropriate) for foreigners to join in with the wearing of rally insignia and waving of flags? I decided that I’d better not do so, but just be present as an observer except for joining in the chain and shouting the less politically shaded slogans. If I’d been invited onto the stage as a representative of Taiwan’s foreign supporters, I’d probably have found it hard to resist – but that didn’t happen. It was notable that one Westerner (a youngish French professor who specializes in Taiwan affairs, speaks excellent Mandarin and has been in the media limelight quite a lot just recently) was brought onto the stage with Chen and Lee in Miaoli and introduced to the assembled throng as representing Taiwan’s friends from the West.

What was the criteria for success? To form an unbroken chain, or to create publicity for A-Bian? I have not heard any critical reporting of the event - people say it happened, but there are no independent reports of success, confirmed or otherwise.

I would have been much more inclined to participate if the event had not been so blatantly political. (I’m not pro-Blue team either, BTW). I was pro-Green in the last election. Now I’m just sick of all these bozos. :fatchance:

english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/ … B604BE.htm

funny, this from the Arab press in Middle East: Al Jazeera!~

Bald men run for Taiwan president
29 February 2004

President Chen not as bald as his running supporters

A hundred bald Taiwanese men have run a race to kick off President Chen Shui-bian’s campaign to promote a controversial referendum tied closely to his attempt for re-election.

Only 24 hours after the island held its largest ever protest against China, the Tuesday event signified a play on words - since the Chinese for “referendum” is similar to the phrase “bald head”.

LATER ADD: also in local papers today MONDAY: something like GONG TO, referendum sounds like GWANN TO, bald head! Taiwanese love word games don’t they? What;s next?

Of course it was political. We know that, get over it. The fact that close to 2 million got off the azzes on a Sunday to do something they believe in is the important message. Screw the politics…

my mandarin has been corrected: (thanks, lillypond, for the heads up):

"A hundred bald men were mobilised in Taipei yesterday to drum up support for President Chen Shui-bian’s plan to hold a controversial referendum alongside the presidential poll on March 20, in a play on the close pronunciation of ‘‘referendum’’ (gong toh) and ‘‘bald head’’ (guang toh) in Mandarin.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Wonderful event, fantastic spirit, roaring success!

I went to 228 Park, because I wanted to be in the thick of the action and take in some speeches and showmanship by a few of the pan-green biggies while enjoying the pleasant surroundings and sharing the festive family atmosphere of the occasion. But I didn’t get any kind of response like that described by Lol:
[snip]
Perhaps it was because I was only one among dozens of foreigners there, but I didn’t receive any special attention at all, and not a single thankyou or handshake (I wasn’t expecting that, but certainly it would have been pleasant). In fact, although I felt less excluded than I would normally at a Taiwanese political event, I was still treated markedly differently from my wife: she was given a hat to wear, while I was not.
[/quote]

I was at the 228 Park as well. I ended up not going to Miaoli because the organizers they had enough people there already.

I had very much the same experience as Lol. Dozens of people thanked me. I’ve attended dozens of political events in Taiwan with the notable exception of the protests outside KMT headquarters after the last election.

The rally was an impressive showing by the Green camp. The momentum has now shifted to the Green camp. The DPP is running to win while the KMT is running not to lose.

Also, I saw no reports in the Chinese media saying that the line was not complete

A green hat? Omni, so soon!

A green hat? Omni, so soon![/quote]

That would only be cause for concern if I’d been wearing the hat, Wolfie!

On the subject of hand-in-hand rally apparel, I was sorry that I couldn’t find anyone selling (or giving away) those splendid t-shirts that so many people were wearing. I’d have been glad to wear one of those, and it would have made a spiffing souvenir.

Quite right; maybe that is why you were not given one.

Well according to certain sources in Keelung… people were getting 300 NTD to stand in the line. Different area represnetative’s had to fill their quotas for the number of people to stand in line in their area

So was the whole thing a protest against missiles or a stunt to get A Bian re-elected?
I would say the second, hence it was disappointing. The DPP only used the missiles as an excuse to try and get votes for A Bian

I do not know what was worse, the KMT jogging around the place and hugging eachother ( don’t know what the running symbolized) or the DPP? Then you have got the DPP trying to push the idea across that the present KMT is responsible for the 228 massacre ( or their fathers or uncles or cousins - where do you draw the line?). On the otherhand you got the KMT not accepting full responsibilty for it, and saying sorry but people should forget about it.

Its sad that 228 and the memory of the people who were slaughtered is being used in such a way.
Of course they tried to use Sean Connery and now he will never come here.

The KMT and DPP are fortunate in the fact that they can polarize the majority of voters by using the KMT flag or the 228 incident. This will not last forever though

Certain sources? You’ll have to do better than that.

Certain sources? You’ll have to do better than that.[/quote]

Probably the KMT website.

Sure it was political but I really dont think the ‘sole’ purpose of this was for re-election. Families/nations harbour hatred of the past and hope for the future for generations. I hope that the million+ people hand in hand did it out of hope for the future.

Certain sources? You’ll have to do better than that.[/quote]

Probably the KMT website.

Sure it was political but I really dont think the ‘sole’ purpose of this was for re-election. Families/nations harbour hatred of the past and hope for the future for generations. I hope that the million+ people hand in hand did it out of hope for the future.[/quote]

From DPP supporters with the A Bian flags and hats… so either they were telling the truth else they telling my wife’s family and I bullshit for reasons I do not know

It happens that ‘Yes Taiwan’ is a conviction that you can hold without being political. It also happens that the DPP advocates this.
I thought the strategy on that day of the KMT was unbelievably crass. Wanting to make 228 a donate blood day? You mean like the way the KMT forces made the locals ‘donate’ their blood in 1947? Remarkably bad judgment by the KMT masterminds. It is as if they really don’t get it. Many things indicate the need to fear the KMT’s return because they seem to me to be stuck in an age that we thought we had left behind.