Hapadoge, here! Just wanted to say hi to everyone!

Hello people of Forumosa! I just wanted to say hi since I haven’t been here in a while. It’s been 2 months since I last posted. I don’t know how old that’s considered but it sounds kinda old to me. (Though I’ve definitely seen longer.) I guess I’m just used to posting alot so sometimes what I may consider a while may not be that long to you guys. I haven’t been active lately ever since my dad opened up a Reddit account for me.

So Reddit is much different from here. My Reddit my tone is much different and of course, I curse more on Reddit (even though I censor very high-level curse words like the F-word and sometimes the SH-word). There’s a much larger variety of topics on Reddit than here. It is less moderated on Reddit (though there’s still moderators of course) and it’s less civilized there so sh**posting is more prevalent whereas here, it’s less acceptable. But the more civilized the environment, the more restrictions there’ll be. Reddit also has a good share of trolls, very harsh comments and people who are buttholes. Luckily for me, I don’t face that sort of thing very often on Reddit. I like Reddit since I get to express my thoughts there even though literally any post gets archived or blocked from casting votes after it turns 6 months old.

Anyway I’ve been on Reddit posting about stuff. I visited a subreddit for Half-Asians called r/hapas. I have expressed my aversion to that place on one of my most viewed posts. But after noticing that r/hapas has changed and become less toxic and much more tolerant, I decided to give it the benefit of doubt, post on there, and then I started to like it because the people there were much different than what I remembered. I wonder if any of you guys use Reddit or have at least heard of it. :slight_smile:
Hope y’all are doing fine.

1 Like

Welcome back! I’ve not chatted with you yet, but I read your most-viewed post at the time and found it really interesting.

I haven’t used Reddit myself mainly because I know how addictive and toxic it’s said to be and I really don’t need to give myself more of that than what I already get on Facebook and elsewhere. But I assume you’ll get a very different kind of insight there to here, with some of the posters here being a bit older and more on the cynical side (this is the impression I get reading some of the threads).

I’m curious how you personally found the difference discussing such a personal and important topic here compared to Reddit and what you’ve learnt from the experience?

I honestly don’t like the way reddit is set up. I don’t use it very often.

1 Like

Oh, why would he do that? I think Reddit is really one of most productivity killing websites out there. You go there to waste a couple of minutes and find yourself looking at some random stuff a couple of hours later.

Not that I would know… :man_shrugging:

I think that applies to most online communities.

Just remember not to take stuff to personally and don’t spend your entire leisure time arguing with people you’ve never met and won’t ever meet in your life. Time’s to precious for that - even if most people at some point get caught up doing it.

Relevant:

8 Likes

IDK
But I’m glad he did so that I can express my views on there more openly and strongly and find a subreddit for the thing I wanna get off of my chest.
Reddit has it’s ups and downs but nah, I don’t mainly use it for going into a never ending trance of unproductive Internet crack. I use Juicy Memes on Youtube for that. (Look up juicy memes on YT and you’ll see what I mean. It’s a Youtube channel full of memes)
I use it to post my opinions and views out there mostly.

You mean the thing that my most viewed post here was about?

I’ve posted on both here and Reddit.
Reddit has a larger variety of topics while here it’s more about a particular thing which I believe is tourist experiences in Taiwan or something. I wonder if most of the people on here are white dudes who have visited Taiwan. Not saying it in a bad way though. I’m just saying that’s what it seems like. But y’all seem nice :grin:
People can be very toxic on Reddit though NGL but there’s decent people on Reddit.
People on Reddit can sometimes be quick to challenge unlike here where the closest thing to it I saw was criticism.

Understatement of the century.

On Forumosa, your options are new MRT lines and Trump worship.

5 Likes

In reality, you can start a thread on any topic you like.

3 Likes

34 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to deal with autism/aspergers

demographic might have been changed slightly while you were absent. I guess many of new posters may be foreign born or raised Taiwanese.

1 Like

There’s a weirdly high level of Trump worship here, which I don’t get because most of the Americans I meet in Taiwan don’t support him.

6 Likes

There are 5 (1 currently in the cooler) who are vehemently anti Trump and spend the majority of their posts either attacking him or attacking the 3 or so posters who support him.

I think there are more anti Trump posters. Or, if there aren’t they are louder.

4 Likes

I’m also seeing more and more filippinos posting here too. You can tell because often their English is different than the westerners and plus they add some gibberish within their English (I think their language is English based).

May the God Emperor’s light shine upon us all.

2 Likes

I don’t like Reddit as it is mostly an echo chamber and loaded with bots. Go against the grain and it gets downvoted.

2 Likes

As in Taiwanese people, right?

LOL :sweat_smile: you’re not wrong

Our languages in the Philippines are not English based. To me, they sound similar to Bahasa (and I think many of us look like Malaysian Bhumiputras and Indonesians - so there’re probably a lot of connections).

Gibberish? Maybe some Tagalog, “Taglish”, or a dialect mixed in. On Wikipedia, Taglish is considered a pidgin or creole language. Calling it gibberish sounds harsh.

7 Likes

Reddit is especially notorious for its internet a-holes

Yeah, one really needs to be aware of that when reading some discussions on there to not become one of them oneself after some time. Really the danger of these “echo chambers”.

Or in the words of Nietzsche:

Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster… for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.

But the many funny cat videos on there somehow make up for that, right? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes