Happiness - how can one go about it

The research looked at four indicators of sociability among young adults 18-34:
marriage, friendship, religious attendence, and sex.

-young married adults are about 75% more likely to report being very happy
-young adults who attend religious services more than once a month are about 40% more likely to report being happy
-young adults who see their friends regularly are about 10% more likely to report being happy
-young adults who have sex at least once a week are about 35% more likely to report being happy

-49% of young adults are having sex once a week down from 59% in 1972
-22% of men and 14% of women report no sex in the past year, which are rising trends

///

So, it would seem that if you have no control over marriage and sex aspects, then the data say for you to try to attend religious services (even over friendship :thinking: )

Does joining a cult count?

2 Likes

in my book, which doesn’t count for much, I’d say that that is a mixture between friends and religious services.

But, this thread could include people’s opinions on things outside of those 4 aspects the research looked at that offer happiness (pets seem an off-shoot of friends of a furry nature, right @Icon ?)

Right.

If you find the right cult you could get friends religion and sex :wink:

2 Likes

In exchange for all your worldly possessions, which may or may not be a good deal.

1 Like

Depends on how much you possess. You could think about going for the long commitment, work your way up, then others will give you thier stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, being cult leader definitely has its perks…until it’s Cool-Aid time, at least.

Enjoy it while it lasts,

Luckily we can learn from their mistakes. Kool Aid and Sarin are out

And stockpiling weapons in your church compound, apparently.

Also chopping off sex organs. We need something fresh and inclusive

Yes. Inciting race wars and murdering Hollywood actresses is so passé.

1 Like

Could just get rid of the end of the word rhetoric, and go for the long happy existence approach.

hmmm. Avoiding healthy sexual relationships and finding meaning in your life via quasi-religious claptrap.

I can’t help thinking humanity has been here before. Didn’t they call it “Puritanism”?

Gotta say, one of the happiest moments in my life was banging six different women in the course of a single week. One of the unhappiest moments was the week after. :slight_smile:

That’s more like it newbie! Sex, drugs and syphilis!

Maybe he was just recovering from rug rash?

Maybe he got divorced.

I’m thinking the negative effects from that would probably last longer than a week.