Hardest thing to give up about Taiwan

I hope you dont litter the can. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will miss the drink stall everywhere.

[quote=“dablindfrog”]dating a different girl everyday of the week…
that’ll never represent itself but it was fun…for a week[/quote]

only for a week?

petit joueur :smiley:

[quote=“Namahottie”]1) 7-11’s on every corner
2) Cabs everywhere
3) trains that are clean and run on time
4) something interesting to look at
5) people who like something other than reality shows as converstation topics
6) Nai cha!!! and Xigua jhr
[color=red]7)my scooter[/color]
8)window shopping while walking somewhere
9)cheap smokes
10) 88 jiu
11) Bingdang stands
12)late night guotie stands
13)night markets
14) stationary stores
15)being able to practice newly learned phrases
16)reading Chinese signs as I ride the bus
and on…[/quote]

Ja, back home it’s only school girls who drive scooters, and any guy caught on one is an object of derision… Which is sad, as they’re so cheap on gas, easy to park and upkeep is minimal. Here everyone has them. One of the really nice things here.
On the flip side, back home I had a nice (medium sized) R6 Yamaha for work and play. Car was more for grocery shopping etc… Would love one here, but the extra costs are too much.

Ah well… Can’t have everything, I guess.

Whenever I remember how much I’m paying for rent on a house I could never afford in England, and tax/insurance on a car I could never afford in England, and then get two weeks’ worth of laundry done for me for NT$120 because I’m a lazy slob, I realise I can never leave. Shit.

Stationary stores?

One thing I’ll miss here is the stores on wheels, blaring out their indecipherable klingon and selling everything for the same price as Surewell. Far more fun than walking around a shop blaring out cheesy techno’.

Oh. And the uncrowded surf, but that is on its way out soon enough as the locals discover the joy of wave riding. Give it ten years my friends and the locals will have everything worth surfing totally screwed up and when its good, as in typhoon swells, you won’t be able to surf it because Captain Gonad and his merry crew nearly killed himself/themselves paddling out when he/they should have known better.

Sadly, the pursuit of this joyous pastime is totally part and parcel of the Taiwanese idiot wind. Drive like they surf, surf like they drive and…surf like they ‘holiday’. ie 25 at a time in a bus. And, ‘hey it’s cool and foreigner so let’s do it’.

Well, OK they don’t get on a bus into the water but sometimes I think the effect of that would be better for all, maybe make a barrel section…feed the crabs…

Heard the mother in law joke about…? never mind…I’m a bigoted racist. I wasn’t when I arrived here though, really, I promise.

Jesus, spare me, 23 days and counting. I can’t wait to get off this toxic island. I’ve eaten too many vegetables here and drunk too much bottled water from the gas stations.

Yes, I will miss the binlang girls though. Woof.

[quote=“mcstrange”]Stationary stores?

One thing I’ll miss here is the stores on wheels, blaring out their indecipherable klingon and selling everything for the same price as Surewell. Far more fun than walking around a shop blaring out cheesy techno’.

Oh. And the uncrowded surf, but that is on its way out soon enough as the locals discover the joy of wave riding. Give it ten years my friends and the locals will have everything worth surfing totally screwed up and when its good, as in typhoon swells, you won’t be able to surf it because Captain Gonad and his merry crew nearly killed himself/themselves paddling out when he/they should have known better.

Sadly, the pursuit of this joyous pastime is totally part and parcel of the Taiwanese idiot wind. Drive like they surf, surf like they drive and…surf like they ‘holiday’. ie 25 at a time in a bus. And, ‘hey it’s cool and foreigner so let’s do it’.

Well, OK they don’t get on a bus into the water but sometimes I think the effect of that would be better for all, maybe make a barrel section…feed the crabs…

Heard the mother in law joke about…? never mind…I’m a bigoted racist. I wasn’t when I arrived here though, really, I promise.

Jesus, spare me, 23 days and counting. I can’t wait to get off this toxic island. I’ve eaten too many vegetables here and drunk too much bottled water from the gas stations.

Yes, I will miss the binlang girls though. Woof.[/quote]

Please give us a day by day account of your arrival back “in the real world” away from the surreal Taiwan. We wanna feel with you your “return to civilization”

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“mcstrange”]Stationary stores?

Please give us a day by day account of your arrival back “in the real world” away from the surreal Taiwan. We wanna feel with you your “return to civilization”[/quote]

won’t you be too busy posting from the states and living vicariously through everyone on this board offering advice and opinions as though you actually do live here?

i’m going to miss my scooter, 24/hr access to beer… the food… i know i will struggle with the food at home… mostly the portion size… and the convenience of everything in Taipei.

[quote=“doraemon”][quote=“dablindfrog”]dating a different girl everyday of the week…
that’ll never represent itself but it was fun…for a week[/quote]

only for a week?

petit joueur :smiley:[/quote]

errr yeah,coz it was fun but tricky,very tricky

and when you arrive at a point like this one :

it’s disturbing to say the least
and there’s only so many times you’re willing to visit the same museum within a week. :stuck_out_tongue:

Friend of mine visited me last year,he appreciated the taxi fee was cheaper than London.
But for me,it was bloody expensive. :smiley:

It’s going to be hard to give up 10% income tax and return to 36%.

[quote=“mcstrange”]Stationary stores?
.[/quote]

Strangely enough, yes. While in Taiwan, I missed college-ruled paper dearly. Now that I have it to buy in abundance, I can’t find a proper pen. :stuck_out_tongue: I miss having to stand among high school girls and play twister to get to the pen testing pad to see if it’s a ‘fun’ pen to buy. Call me :loco:

[quote=“bushibanned”][quote=“tommy525”][quote=“mcstrange”]Stationary stores?

Please give us a day by day account of your arrival back “in the real world” away from the surreal Taiwan. We wanna feel with you your “return to civilization”[/quote]

won’t you be too busy posting from the states and living vicariously through everyone on this board offering advice and opinions as though you actually do live here?
[/quote]

:roflmao:

Tea.

McDonald’s apple pies. The baked ones in the States just aren’t the same. :frowning:

haha , I havent noticed that. I think the ones in Taiwan come frozen from USA?? no? Or maybe the 100pct humidity of Taiwan makes things taste different anyway. LIke food doesnt taste as good at high altitude for example.

haha , I havent noticed that. I think the ones in Taiwan come frozen from USA?? no? Or maybe the 100pct humidity of Taiwan makes things taste different anyway. LIke food doesnt taste as good at high altitude for example.[/quote]

But taiwan isn’t high altitude. The fries in Taiwan were bad then I came back to the USA and they’re bad here. Maybe that’s just a sign that I should live McFatty alone.

The one habit I acquired in Taiwan that I need to break is the simplifying my English for others. I don’t do anything so bad as speak Chinglish to people but I have to remember I can say things like “inappropriate” instead of “not good” now.

From Taiwan:
I miss having four or five different styles of beef noodles in a two block radius.

I miss the teas, especially Lime (lemon?) green tea, and Su-Mei the tea girl.

I miss the special Christmas nougat at the local bakery.

I generally miss the food, especially the seafood!

I miss going to the movies at Living Mall and 101. So much so in fact that I’ve been to only one movie since I returned.

I miss the nightlife. It was so easy to go to a nice lounge or club and just chill. That’s very hard to do in NYC without considerable legwork because at many places you really need to be a shark to make the most of your time.

I miss the cheap and available taxis. I also miss their Speed Racer driving style.

I miss being able to go pretty much anywhere at any time of the day.

I kinda miss the Guang Hua computer market, but it was already “gone” before I left.

I definitely miss the cost of living! I make over four times what I was making in Taiwan and I cannot come close to affording the kind of apartment and lifestyle I had in Taipei. It’s strictly one or the other.

I miss the daily adventure of encountering something incredibly bizarre and figuring out how to deal with it.

Back home:

I appreciate that people don’t try to touch my hair or stare at me everywhere I go.

I appreciate that people don’t comment on my date’s virtue by being seen with me.

I appreciate that people respect my personal space.

I appreciate that things are expected to work, and when they don’t someone apologizes for the inconvenience, explains the reason and provides alternatives.

In general, I appreciate the courtesy people express to each other here.

haha , I havent noticed that. I think the ones in Taiwan come frozen from USA?? no? Or maybe the 100pct humidity of Taiwan makes things taste different anyway. LIke food doesnt taste as good at high altitude for example.[/quote]

But taiwan isn’t high altitude. The fries in Taiwan were bad then I came back to the USA and they’re bad here. Maybe that’s just a sign that I should live McFatty alone.[/quote]

The apple pies in Taiwan are the fried variety that they stopped selling in the U.S. around 1988. I remember how sad I was when they announced that decision.

I’ve forgotten how the french fries tasted in the U.S… I just know that they usually aren’t so fresh here and the workers never fill up the container to overflowing like they’re supposed to. :s

Deleted.

The Women.
24 hour liquor stores.
Cheap, decent eateries.
My neighbors mind their own business.
Low taxes.
Machosim is most confused, as it fuggin well should be.
That space-cadet glow…