Has anybody here ever heard of this "WMAF" thing on the Internet?

again, stop spending time on that reddit group. i’d be surprised if anyone here agreed with you on that one.

2 Likes

Just live your life. Don’t stress about people you don’t even know.

1 Like

It’s not 100% untrue. I already told you. It’s 99.9% untrue. Stop getting the wrong impression from toxic sub-Reddits. I can guarantee the people who spend all day posting about that stuff are far greater losers than any mixed couples they’re picking on. That’s why they’re so angry.

3 Likes

if you hear about someone in your real life, we can talk again. everything on the internet is not false but everything on the internet has to be taken with a grain of salt.

you need to separate those two. if one doesn´t interfere with the other than basically nothing´s changed and as a rule: real life comes first :wink:

1 Like

Oh boy

2 Likes

Hi OP,

I know this topic is several months old. So it’s great you’re trying to rationalize your own experience with what you see on the internet. It’s really confusing. First of all, many of us are guilty of reading something on the internet and assuming that must be true in the real world. Internet forums tend to amplify the negative messages more because people are more likely to complain about something rather than express gratitude.

Now that being said, I’m going to delve into the issue about WMAF from an Asian male perspective. Asians growing up in the west, especially those whose parents are immigrants, are going to be at a disadvantage socially compared to their western counterparts. Immigrating from Asia, our Asian parents raise their kids as they were raised with a huge emphasis on education, hard work and obedience to your family. So your mom and dad are trying to raise you like they were raised in Asia. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s just they don’t understand the dynamics of how things work in the North America.

So now your typical Asian kid spends all of their young lives studying and working hard to get to college. When you get to college, the separation between sexes becomes obvious. As a male you are expected to approach women and make the first move. You have a whole generation of Asian males who don’t have the social skills to flirt with the opposite sex. So when you see everybody else (white, black, Latinos) hooking up with girls, you begin to question your self worth. You see these kids have spent their young life socializing/making mistakes with the opposite sex so they know what to do. So when AM sees the white guy getting the Asian girl, they often wonder what went wrong with them. How come I’m stuck dateless while these other guys get women so easily?

I read somewhere Asians males in the west have the game set to play on impossible mode. It’s only been recent where being Asian was cool. Back in the day and to some extent now, we are seen as good students, nerdy and quiet. You know the Model Minority.

You don’t see it on this forum, but there are lots of Asian males who are lost. They want to be like everybody else loved, sexualized, appreciated by the opposite sex. I definitely was one of these growing up. So positively mentoring these young Asian brothers to be proud of their culture, accomplishments and themselves is paramount if we want healthy, well socialized men.

I know I wrote a lot and could write more, but I wanted to give you another perspective.

8 Likes

Very insightful post.

Thank you very much for your perspective. I appreciate that. :slightly_smiling_face:

What @SuperNintendo wrote reminds me of the “incel” culture which has gotten mainstream attention over the past few years. Especially the part about young men seeing other young men getting the girls, feeling like they can’t do the same, and retreating into the “incel” world online as a defense mechanism.

Maybe the WMAF is just a race-adjusted version of that (as far as I know, “incel” has no racial component).

In my high school and on my college campus, there were plenty of Asian guys getting girls. Who knows what the ratios were or whatever, I never paid much attention to that, but it certainly wasn’t the case that Asian guys weren’t able to get girls.

In my high school (40% white, 30% Asian, 30% Black and Hispanic), Asians usually dated Asians, and then the white, Black, and Hispanic students all dated each other. Come to think of it, I can’t think of a single high school couple of an Asian student + Black, White or Hispanic. Lots of Asian + Asian couples though. Now that I’m older I realize that a lot of them were recent immigrants and it was just probably easier to connect to another recent immigrant.

why do asian guys in asia do alright then? are you saying asian guys have it easy in asia? then they come to the west they are on impossible mode?

There is.

Race is often a major topic and reasoning for not being able to get laid in the community.

https://youtu.be/gWD9n1cyeQU

1 Like

People are extremely influenced by pop culture. I think a major part of this difficulty is that asian men are portrayed not as sexual or masculine (at least in western standards) in pop culture in the US. Asian Americans only make up 3-4% of the population, there’s generally not many interactions with Asians in most part of the country. So it’s not a great start if that’s your starting impression.

1 Like

kim-chi pop doesn’t help in the sexual or masculine department, when all the guy-group singers all look like they went to the same plastic surgeon as korean female singers/models

I should have made myself more clear. I’m talking about Anglosphere born Asians. If you don’t know the stereotypes that Asians used to have in the US they revolved around Long Duk Dong, Short Round or Ken Jeong. I know when I was growing up dating wasn’t something that my parents approved of. It only started in college when they said that I needed to get a girlfriend. This is especially difficult if you don’t grow up in a heavily Asian diaspora. Anyway, every individual is responsible for their own happiness, but there are definitely interesting dynamics between Anglosphere and Asian culture that first generation immigrants might not grasp.

growing up in the 70s, non-Asians in America thought all Asians in America knew kung fu and thus gave wide berth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably in no small part due to this song.

1 Like

Fixed it for you :wink:

We just act as lightning rods for different cultures prejudices and sexual fantasies and penis/boob/ass envy.:sunglasses::grin:

1 Like

I met a Japanese woman in Kenya in 1974 who was backpacking in Africa who was grateful for that song and chopsocky movies from HK; every time she got hassled she just struck a karate pose and everybody backed off.

2 Likes

Too funny :joy: