Have you ever bought anything off shopee.tw?

Anyone know how to top up their wallet on Shopee? I’ve got some money on it but it’s a bit short for something I want to buy.

I don’t think you can. AFAIK, it’s mainly for receiving refunds, which you can then use for future purchases as long as you have sufficient balance for the purchase. If you don’t have sufficient balance for the purchase, as in your case, I don’t think it’s possible to deduct the balance you do have and pay the remainder by COD or whatever.

I think the only option is to withdraw the wallet balance to your bank account, which I think is permissible once per week (or per month or something, not sure) with no fee. Mine is set up to do that automatically shortly after I receive a refund, and that’s not something I’ve ever set up deliberately as far as I’m aware - it’s just what has happened since I first added a bank account, suggesting to me that the wallet isn’t intended to be used to store money long term. I thought it was weird too (and a bit annoying before I had a bank account in Taiwan, because I was using Shopee for years before I had one and had a small wallet balance I couldn’t use).

2 Likes

Thank you!

The Malaysian one has instructions for adding funds so stupid me should realise Taiwan does things differently.

2 Likes

It seems like they’re phasing out the wallet feature in other markets like the Philippines and Singapore and replacing it with ShopeePay anyway. I didn’t find it that useful here to start with - I guess it’s mostly for sellers and refunds.

Yeah. The money came from a recent refund and wanted to reuse it.

There is like zero chance that the government would let Shopee expand its fintech functionality, considering that its mostly owned by Tencent.

Shopee is owned by Sea in Singapore. Tencent had shares in Sea but sold them three months ago.

Sea Group is worth $45B. Tencent didn’t even have close to a quarter of the company.

2 Likes

Tencent still own nearly 20% of SEA. The bosses are all Chinese as well. Guarantee they will have other big Chinese investors

The point is that in 2022 the taiwan government will not let Shoppee expand the financial products.

If Shoppee was to try to enter Taiwan today, with tencent as a major investor, they would likely be refused

No it doesn’t. And 20% is most?

https://money.cnn.com/quote/shareholders/shareholders.html?symb=SE&subView=institutional

2 Likes

Tencent is still the major shareholder in SEA
The bosses of SEA were born in China
The Taiwan government has laws about Chinese money coming into China and Chinese companies having access to taiwanese data.

Go and do a Google search. There are enough rumblings for the Taiwan government to investigate Shopee

There is zero chance (well next to zero) that a DPP government let’s Shoppee expand into fintech

Really unhelpful TBH.

If you want to debate in good faith, I suggest supporting your argument instead of instructing others to ‘google it’

1 Like

Tedious

Ok a lot of people in Taiwan have suggested it. You can take my word for it

That’s too bad. I was really interested in seeing what you managed to find.

It seems like a lot of people in Taiwan consider Shopee to be a Chinese company anyway, because the founder (now Singaporean) is “of Chinese origin”. I’ve heard that from a few Taiwanese people.

dd0

1 Like

That’s fine. But I can’t find Tencent on the list of shareholders.

If @OrangeOrganics wants to support his argument, I welcome it.

There you go. From a two second search. Shopee wanted to make a card with Cathay bank but DPP councillor has tried to stop it because of suspicions that it is a Chinese invested company.

I work in e-commerce. Im not finding any more links for you

Yeah it’s common knowledge

Its clandestine fact that tencent is the major shareholder in Shoppee

Ok, let’s see.

:melting_face: