Have you ever worked at a kindergarten where your kid attended?

I’ve found myself with free time in the mornings, and my child will soon be starting kindergarten. I’ve been considering trying to find a job at a kindergarten and sending my toddler to the same place. Two reasons: A, I might be able to get a discount, or potentially free tuition, and B, I will be able to make sure my child is being treated properly. I know it’s a bad idea to be around my kid all day when they should be gaining independence, but I’m still curious if others have been in a similar situation, and what happened. Did you get a big discount, how much?

I know someone who had her kids at the same place. Her older kid - she did not teach, another foreigner did.
But she got to see how the Chinese teachers were like. Her younger kid who came around 10 years later, only stayed a year as she and her son left due to the quality of the Chinese teachers going down.
The kids had no issues with her being at the school.

A post was split to a new topic: From kindergarten

Then don’t hover. Our son grew up in our buxiban. He turned out fine.

2 Likes

Sounds like a bad idea. What if you get in a conflict with the boss? Your child has to move to another school. Stay away from your child’s school. Kids are treated OK in Taiwan, stop worrying.

That depends. I’ve been to a school where they regularly yell at kids.

Not as far as I know.
But I understood it was illegal for foreigners to teach “kindy”, which would perhaps be another reason to “Plead the 5th” on this question.

1 Like

Kids need structure. Irregular yelling could be quite damaging to young emerging personalities.

2 Likes

not illegal if you don’t need a work permit and have a credential to teach at kindy.

But… it says kids shouldn’t be yelled at at all.

It’s illegal to teach at kindergarten? How come so many foreigners get hired then? It can’t be that they all don’t have the need to get work permits… or are we talking about public ones or private ones?

many of them with work permits may be hired as next-door buxiban teachers, or those kinders could be registered as buxibans. if caught, they are penalized.

2 Likes

Pretty anecdotal, The regularity of the yelling is not mentioned as a controlled variable (or at all) in any contributory studies

You mean it isn’t illegal if its legal? Always a loophole in Taiwan.

I agree, it’s pretty anecdotal. That’s why I hit my kid at random intervals since no study has ever correlated frequency and level of effect. I guess if it’s just twice a week instead of seven times, it should be OK.

As far as I’m aware, nobody is allowed to teach English in kindergarten. I suppose if the teacher doesn’t need a work permit from the school and they teach the class in Mandarin Chinese, then sure no problem. But even the Taiwanese teachers are not legally allowed to teach English as a subject or immersion in kindergarten.

A post was merged into an existing topic: From kindergarten

As long as its regular

Turns out we’re wrong. Found this:

Several research studies have indeed linked parents’ use of corporal punishment with more negative relationships with their children; one research summary found this relationship in all thirteen studies examined.83 Subsequent research has found that frequency of corporal punishment is negatively associated with children’s attachment security at fourteen months of age84 and with their self-reported attachment to their parents in adolescence.85 Young adults who reported more-frequent corporal punishment from their parents also judged their parents to be less emotionally available.86

And:

Although the reasoning behind a potential connection has not been well articulated, a small but growing number of studies have documented links between the frequency with which parents use corporal punishment and impairments in children’s cognitive abilities.

Source: MORE HARM THAN GOOD: A SUMMARY OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH ON THE INTENDED AND UNINTENDED EFFECTS OF CORPORAL PUNISHMENT ON CHILDREN - PMC

There’s more here, too: Corporal Punishment as a Stressor among Youth on JSTOR

Controlling for sociodemographic factors and physical abuse, our findings indicate a positive association between the frequency of corporal punishment and both psychological distress and depression.

If that’s the case, then yelling, no matter how infrequent, is clearly associated with negative outcomes of children. Actually, I’m not sure why you said it’s anecdotal :laughing: – I always thought it wasn’t personally (I’m a good case study if I may say so myself).

See above. Frequency and regularity are not the same thing.

Can we extrapolate then that regularity is NOT linked to negative outcomes in children, but frequency is? Does this mean low frequency, high regularity corporal punishment has negative effects but high frequency and low regularity does not?