Headphones thread

Replacement airpods?

Has anyone tried to replace one airpod?

I saw some talk somewhere that says you can buy a new one but I wonder how much and if it’s worth it in Taiwan.

I managed to lose both buds and the case they were in. Oh well, bound to happen.

My coworker gave me a set he warned was quite heavy on the bass. Lo and behold, CCR sounds great in them as does most of my 70s music.

I went to replace one airpod pro on a set that was over two years old (i.e., no warranty). They did it for free, and gave me a completely new set of tips (all sizes) too. There must have been a known defect of some sort.

AirPods suck. Idk why people get them when much better ones exist with companies that specialize in audio tech. I bought lily some Bose ones and she was blow away by how much better it is. I have the Sony xm4 and it’s not even close.

1 Like

I assume you’re talking about AirPods Pro and not the AirPods, as comparing the latter to the xm4 wouldn’t make sense. The AirPods Pro are definitely better for people who want an easy experience. They sound better out of the box, sync better with iPhones, and don’t take half a minute to stick in your ears (on the Sony you need to squeeze the foam tips first and then put them in, and then wait for the foam to expand. Also, if you have an iphone, no spatial audio for you unless you get a competing streaming service. The last is more preference, but even though I didn’t think it was possible, the foam on the Sony are even less comfortable than the tips on the AirPods Pro.

How it fits is really personal. I bought lily the airpod pro last Christmas and it kept falling out od her ears and it eventually broke from falling out. The Bose QC fits much better and is more comfortable and she’s been happy with those so far.

I also don’t feel that how easy it syncs makes a difference. I don’t feel like any of my headphones or earbuds are harder to sync than the AirPods.

I don’t agree they sound better out of the box. To me, its meh. It’s definitely a premium sound but very uninspiring compared to rivals at similar price point. Compared to other choices, it’s not even close for me. Some might not notice much difference and that’s fine for them to stay in the apple ecosystem.

To be honest, anyone sticking things in their ears doesn’t give a shit about sound quality. Over ear is the only way to go.

That said, screw headphones and go ATMOS 7.1.4

1 Like

Years ago I was admiring a plug in Bose over
Ears headphone at a Bose outlet for 99 bucks in Napa

Really should have gotten that
They had an over ear for 99 as well and I couldn’t make up my mind

Went without headphones until bout 2 years ago when I got a then best bang and olives Beoplay H8
As a gift
I would never pay the 600 for it
It had noise cancelling and wireless and was over the ears

Wish I had gotten the cheaper H6 over ears wired ones instead

Well I rarely used them because my ears hurt from the pressure on ear after an hour

Being a sucker for deals I got a klipsch in ear for 59 sale
Regular 259

Well hardly use them because although the sound is pretty good they do t really fit in my ears too good

And seem to need to be paired each time before use
Still trying to find someone to give them away to

This year for Christmas gave missis airpod pro and got airpod in return

I like the that it pairs when you put them in the ears

But honestly I found I don’t really like in ears

So I don’t like in ears and I don’t like on ears

So I thought I should buy the original Bose over ear I saw before for 99

Went online to hunt for them and saw an ad for
Harmon Larson over ears for sale 59 instead of 259 from HK direct

Listening to them now just arrived today

So reviews are that are they are pretty good but a
Bit small and a bit too much pressure for big heads

So I may eventually still have to get those wired Bose over ears

These are wireless and noice cancelling
Let’s see how I like them

By the way HK has been buying up a bunch of car stereos brands and recently was itself bought by Samsung for eight Billion dollars

And I read these HK headphones are really identical to the JBL ones

JBL was bought by HK then now Samsung

Will have to do a back to back this versus the bang ones later

But so far initial
Impressions are that they are very good .the noise cancelling sets up a quiet stage
For the music and being over ears as well further sets a quiet stage

The base is very good and bumping highs are clear
No. Noise in the sound track due to the quiet stage so the various instruments can come
Out

Ok Bang is all stainless steel and aircraft
Ali construction and soft lamb
Skin while this is genuine fake leather and real plastic but it looks and feels quality ish

Bang wants 850 bucks for it’s new Beoplay H8 replacement now called the Beoplay H 9.5 or some such

Unless you drive a roller and cruise in your own jet this one is better
Value
But I feel the push against my ears and may soon put it away as well looking for who to gift them to

I wonder if I’m being price prejudiced but putting on the 600 dollar H 8 I feel the sound stage is not as isolated as the HK but the bass is tighter like where drummers put a pillow in the bass drum to give the short thuds

Bass has less distortion and highs crisper

But 59 dollar sale versus 600? Well to be fair the HK are normally 259 when not on sale and the H8 are now as little as 250 online

The stage isolation advantage probably is due to over ear versus on ear

That said never wear over ears while walking or otherwise mobile

The HK are definitely more muffled less
open and less bright and yes your ears will sweat more due to being over the ears while on ears breathe better

But definitely listenable

But if you have the dough get
The H6 wired over ears

Wired still has better sound than wireless

Listening longer I have to say the H8 blows the HK away on tonal quality

1 Like

Made some typos in above

The H8 are On ear and wireless with a wire as well so you can listen to them wired As well

The H6 are Over ear and wired

My new Harmon are wireless with a wire option

After quite a few headphones my conclusion is that the In ears offer convenience but don’t have much of a sound experience so don’t bother unless you want to use them for phone calls and listening in cafes

On ears are not as good as over ears generally and if you want to really listen to music you need to stick to Over ears and wired

So either get a pair of H 6 wired Beoplay on sale online for less than 300

Or Bose over ears wired for as little as 99

Unless you have a super man cave and a super stereo that can cost thousands or more

The over ear wired are the best

No, do you think? I can’t understand anything you’re writing here.

1 Like

I still love my Philips x2’s. I got a new computer, I swear it sounds slightly better through my Topping VX1 (best 3k I ever spent probably, that), is that crazy?

For sure the source is important

After many years I am still pleased with the comfort and balanced sound of my Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones
32 Ohm version.
Comment above about the Topping amp makes me wonder if I should invest in one.
@tempogain what’s the comparison with\without?

They’ve been around a while, known for quality build in low price digital amps. They’ve gone a bit more upmarket lately but still seem to be considered good value. On this VX1 model the headphone amp is nothing great, I’ve thought about getting a new one from Schitt or something. It does have a button to switch between headphone and speaker output which is really a nice feature. I don’t think I’ve unplugged these headphones since first plugging them in. You need to pair these things with high-sensitivity speakers, it sounds great with a pair of Klipsch bookshelves.

Hijacking the thread…

The wife wants a Bluetooth earphone, but she doesn’t like headphones (they are not so portable) and earbuds keep falling out of her ears (she has a small eat canal).
However, she does like those with ear-hooks that help to keep it in place.

So I come to ask the Forumosa bright community:
Any recommendations?

Depends on your budget. I have the same problem with most earbuds, but I just got the Beats Fit Pro and after some experimentation they stay in quite well. And they’re not quite as big as those with full ear hooks.

1 Like

As I said, it’s for the wife, and she’s the one who controls the budget… :joy:

This one is also in-ear… I’m afraid it may also not be suitable.

1 Like