Heavy metal concerts/gigs

Any idea where I can find heavy metal gigs in Taipei? I know they exist but they do such a poor job of advertising that by the time I find out they’re gone. I’m not looking for big bands just local bands playing at live houses such as The Wall.

gigguide.tw

But like you say the promotion is often poor. They’re often not listed until a few days before the gig and this is usually due to the organizer/promoter. A recent gig at the Park with an international band, Persefone, wasn’t listed until two or three days before the gig and the only way to get pre-sales was online. I suspect the gig never actually happened due to what the singer of one of the support bands wrote on her Facebook page.

I don’t really get music in Taiwan… apart from pop bands like Mayday, Jolin, etc. there is hardly anything else. Are people really that daft here?

I watched some awesome concert years ago in front of the Moma Museum. Some weirdos playing some sort of Metal/Grindcore/Noise/Shit. I loved it. Other than that, I haven’t enjoyed much rock bands here… they bore me quite a lot. Jazz is a different thing. Although a bit naive and young, some bands play nice. It´s not the same than the jazz concerts and jams I used to attend back home, but still enjoyable. But I hate the popish music they like to do here.

Kreator a few weeks ago at the Live House was awesome! Soilwork last year in Taichung was pretty good too.

Saw Deafheaven on gigguide recently… There’s metal if you look.

I know, I attended Metal Monster or something a long time ago but was wondering if the same kind of stuff still exists. Sometimes I wish shops at ximen would play something different than their standard soundtracks. It seems as though they all play the same set of songs assigned by some higher power or something. A cross between crappy psuedo-trance music followed by boring pop songs.

It is not only metal gigs that have shit promotion (The Kreator gig wasn’t a sell out but it should have been as it was a top gig). Bob Dylan in 2011 was a shambles.
And, Ennio Morricone played in Taiwan in 2009. I had no idea and found out the following year when I looked at his website.
I was slack jawed. It is frustrating.
Just check gigguide although not everything gets put up there.

I saw Bad Religion and Bob Log 3 at The Wall. Not metal, but loud, nonetheless.

But if a gig could have been a sell out why won’t they promote it more? Is there a conspiracy from the media or something?

cha bu do. WGAF?

Damn - I would have gone to that. I haven’t seen Bad Religion for more than 10 years.

[quote=“cake”]It is not only metal gigs that have shit promotion (The Kreator gig wasn’t a sell out but it should have been as it was a top gig). Bob Dylan in 2011 was a shambles.
Just check gigguide although not everything gets put up there.[/quote]

Promotion is seriously lacking here and that’s the reason I started GigGuide.tw. So many (potentially great) shows go by without anyone knowing about them. I think the situation has improved, but it’s still pretty shit.

BTW if you or anyone else does notice any gigs missing from GigGuide.tw, please log in and add them so others can find out about it. You don’t have to be affiliated with the promoter/band or venue, in fact most of our listings are provided by users who just want to see the live music scene in Taiwan improve.

Or we can also post these events on forumosa, because I check the forum quite often but I don’t check that gigs site :smiley:

Yeah, good luck with getting others to do that.

Yeah, good luck with getting others to do that.[/quote]

Well, there’s a whole “events and activities” section on the forum, broken down by areas. I understand that since you seem to be somehow related to a gigs site you prefer people not to post them here but to check that site instead. However, I still think that it’s a good idea to post them here.

I know it doesn’t help much any more, but there used to be TaipeiMetal:

taipeimetal.com/
facebook.com/TaipeiMetal

Unfortunately it looks like updates have stopped a while ago :frowning:

I’m not surprised Taiwan is bad at promoting concerts.

They’re the same with their tourist attractions. I’ve been here almost a year and had no idea there was a huge waterpark with slides and everything in Taipei :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d have loved that in the heat of last summer. The country is really bad at advertising and promoting things.

i would say that they’re not that bad. The thing is that a water park is something that locals know that exist, but perhaps foreigners don’t.

When was Bad Religion at The Wall? Perhaps you’re mixing them up with NOFX. They were here in 2007.

When was Bad Religion at The Wall? Perhaps you’re mixing them up with NOFX. They were here in 2007.[/quote]

It’s been about 10 years since I’ve seen NOFX, as well. Those guys put on a fun show.