Hello! Does anyone like Taipei Cafes?

Hello, I’m a member of the following Facebook Group,
facebook.com/storyofchee/
I love cafe so much, and I would like to know what a Taiwanese cafe is to foreigners, like,

Is there any difference between Taiwanese one and one from other countries? There definitely would be. Can those differences be considered the features of Taiwanese cafes, since
cafes often are seen as the production of globalization? I am so eager to know what features can be seen as the negotiation between Taiwan(mainly Taipei, because I live here) culture and globalization.(sorry for using this ambiguous term, which need to be define.)

If you are interested to share, and love coffee culture of course, please reply me.

[quote=“tonylee”]Hello, I’m a member of the following Facebook Group,
facebook.com/storyofchee/
I love cafe so much, and I would like to know what a Taiwanese cafe is to foreigners, like,

Is there any difference between Taiwanese one and one from other countries? There definitely would be. Can those differences be considered the features of Taiwanese cafes, since
cafes often are seen as the production of globalization? I am so eager to know what features can be seen as the negotiation between Taiwan(mainly Taipei, because I live here) culture and globalization.(sorry for using this ambiguous term, which need to be define.)

If you are interested to share, and love coffee culture of course, please reply me.[/quote]

The coffee scene is definitely cued into global trends but the inspiration for most Taiwan cafes is Japan and not the west.

Coffee nazi in Yang Kang area.

Follow the rules or NO COFFEE FOR YOU!

1 Like

Yet another weird geek selling coffee here. There’s a lot of them !

Though…
I understand the idea of brewing and tasting it a certain way from tea. Adding milk to a top grade loose leaf tea would drive me crazy because it could completely obliterate the natural sweetness and aromatics . Also over brewing tea is anothet massive no no . And .
different teas require different brewing times. Tea is way more finicky and diverse than coffee. :grin:

So it may be an obsession whereby she wants her customers to really get the best taste profile from the coffee, especially as she thinks she has worked hard to choose the best beans or roast them just right.

But sounds very uncomfortable !

What you ate for breakfast can actually have quite an impact on the taste. She can’t really control that though… or can she?

1 Like

She probably will tell them to wash out their mouths like at the dentist.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yet another family unfriendly “library” cafe in Taipei… ho hum. I hope the sedentary, whisper quiet university students have a good time on their screens in there.

1 Like

Depends on the tea surely. Nothing wrong with adding a little milk to a tippy Assam.

Yep indeed bitter strong tea, it can work well.
I wouldn’t prevent somebody adding milk to a specialty tea but it would slightly upset me especially if it was rare. :grin::joy:
It’s like somebody putting coke into a 20 year old whiskey.

Yep . Those places are so dull and unfriendly feeling. What happened to Taiwan eh? Just go to Ikari and get your fix of old times.

Well if the whiskeys twenty years old it’s probably gone off. A little coke will freshen it up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s why I never liked tea when I lived in Europe. I came to Taiwan and tea heaven opened.

1 Like

For a second I thought that was the name of the shop. :open_mouth:

1 Like

It’s actually something most Taiwanese don’t really care about.

I just watched the video. She is using a plastic V60 filter. I’ve always thought ceramic is a better taste, no near-boiling water coming into contact with plastic.

Plastic heats faster than ceramic and overall provides a more consistent heat for exact brewing. Plus, it’s light weight, hard to break and more convenient. The plastic leaching flavor is something I’ve never experienced or heard of in my years of working professionally in coffee, and the best in the world regularly use the plastic one. I don’t know if that lady’s coffee is legit, but this is an uninformed and incorrect criticism.

Well anybody who is into decent tea will know overbrewing is terrible for specialty black tea. It causes astringency . Taiwan has amazing natural honey flavoured teas but adding milk to them just kills them as well as over brewing.

For oolong they like to drink it strong . It’s a local thing. But high mountain oolong is almost unique because it doesn’t really suffer from astringency and they is why it is so popular and highly rated compared to regular green tea,along with its floral notes. People who are into tea, just like coffee, will pay attention.

It may or may not be better to do a quality brew, but it’s not going to be healthier because all plastic leaches a little. You will probably not be able to taste any of those leached chemicals.

I use plastic in some of my brewing equipment but I’m aware it is not very healthy. I’m trying to actively avoid it now. It is probably impossible to completely avoid though.

Maybe, but we live in Taiwan. The harm we get from the miniscule amount of plastic that leaches into our morning cup of coffee is probably equivalent to breathing this air for 3 seconds :rofl:

It’s honesty a big unknown. I avoid plastic tea bags for sure.