Hello Kitty magnets at 7-11

Ok. something has seriously happened to me over the course of the years here. You know those Hello Kitty magnets they give you at 7-11 for free if you buy some crap? I am collecting them!?!? :loco:

I am even making me hubby go get a new 1000NT IF card so he can get me a bunch more! :unamused:

Does this classify as the onset of insanity or what? :laughing:

Anyone else want to admit to collecting them? :smiley:

I deny everything.

Those free fridge magnets that come with water bottles are for my son. Yeah, they’re for my son. That’s it. He will get to play with them when he’s older.

:slight_smile:

When you buy the kiddie meals at KFC for the toys, you know you’ve really lost it.

I googled “hello kitty magnets,” and apparently it is hip to collect them.

The 7/11s in HK had this promotion back in November when I was there. Exact same magnets. Looks like Taiwan finally caught up. I have a pile of them lying around here somewhere.

I was wondering what that was (too lazy to open it up). I probably would have thrown it away had I not read this thread (maybe not).

Hello Kitty is happily hanging on the fridge now. :smiley:

Thanks.

My daughters used to collect Hello Kitty stuff when they were kids. That was thirty years ago. :laughing: :laughing:

And here I was thinking this cat was a recent phenomenon.

[quote=“yangdemei”]Ok. something has seriously happened to me over the course of the years here. You know those Hello Kitty magnets they give you at 7-11 for free if you buy some crap? I am collecting them!?!? :loco:

I am even making me hubby go get a new 1000NT IF card so he can get me a bunch more! :unamused:

Does this classify as the onset of insanity or what? :laughing:

Anyone else want to admit to collecting them? :smiley:[/quote]

Thoughts of divorce based on irreconcilable cultural differences went through my head when I returned home one night last week with a couple of those magnets in hand for the kids and my wife actually said “Oh, how cute!”. She’s only been here 5 years. :astonished:

No way, the Hello Kitty brand is way cool. I have respect for a company that has managed to sell an image just on the basis that it is cute. I think it started the year I was born (1974), and I even had Hello Kitty stuff when I was a child. I remember wallets, erasers, and pencil cases.
I have read a lot about the HK phenomenon and its link to culture, and (yeah, I know loads of people will roll their eyes at this) it is actually very interesting. The company makes sure that the image remains asexual, with very little information released about the character of Kitty, so that people can asign their own value to it.
So if you think Kitty is very kawaii, then it is kawaii.
And some people are using it to be anti-kawaii, e.g. punks will wear it as a badge. Or some animation artists will distort the image.
Or feminists have used it as a symbol for dominated, repressed Japanese women (cute, no mouth=silence).
The list of ways that people have expressed themselves using the Hello Kitty image is endless.
How many other products can claim that?
And it’s been 30 years.
Respect, I say.

wish I was in Taiwan for those magnets!
My daughter has hello kitty everything - and the fascination just will not end. Would love a magnet to add to the clothes, wardrobe, watch, toys, slippers, bags, christmas decorations etc.

Some facts about Hello Kitty:

Name: Kitty White

Birthdate: November 1st, 1974

Birthplace: Suburban London, England

Weight: Same as 3 apples

Height: Same as 5 apples

What kind of boys does Hello Kitty like?: Hello Kitty likes kind and friendly boys. Hello Kitty’s first love is Dear Daniel, but since Dear Daniel had to go to Africa with his parents, the boy Hello Kitty likes right now is Tippy, her classmate at school.

PH34R TEH KITTY!

I bought a bottle of water and got one, without even realising they were giving them away. Mines one of those holgram things with 1 or 2 hello kittys sitting on a couch. it has 1975 on it too.

You have to spend $77 to get one magnet and they have them from 1974 and each year onward. I got the 2003 one today. I’ll be collecting them as well. I wonder if the years are random?

My woman’s collecting them for the kids so if anyone wants to trade we can do that too.

Dude I’m in for the trade! :laughing: And I have a whole bunch 'o extras as I now only shop at 7-11 :loco:

I looked it up online (this promo went through HK and Singapore already) and there are 31 magnets, 1974-2004.

Addiction is a horrible thing! :wink:

The scary thing is that I told my mom (mid western american, barely been outta Ohio) and she did not even wonder why I would do this. She just said “Oh, people like to collect stuff!” :astonished: I thought she knew me better than this! (but I have just got my own little “real” kitty, so perhaps she thinks it is a natural response??)

It was so cool, my local 7-11 was packed tonight, like a Costco on a Saturday or something.

I hope it’s random magnets they give out, and not certain years for certain weeks. If I get more I’ll post them then we can trade! Yay!

Ooooh! Kitties! I just got two kitties yesterday, so why don’t we both race over to that post your pet photos thread and get posting?
By the way, I got eight of them at once. Does that mean my 7-11 boy has a crush on me? :slight_smile:

[quote=“twonavels”]Ooooh! Kitties! I just got two kitties yesterday, so why don’t we both race over to that post your pet photos thread and get posting?
By the way, I got eight of them at once. Does that mean my 7-11 boy has a crush on me? :slight_smile:[/quote]
yes.

Unfortunately, twonavels, it just means you spent some cash! :frowning: For every 77nt you get one magnet. And I want to post some photos but I need hubby to teach me how! (but post yours, I LOVE :lovestruck: pics of kitties!)

And 914, they give 'em out random. I should know, I already have 21 out of 31! :noway:

[quote=“yangdemei”]And 914, they give 'em out random. I should know, I already have 21 out of 31! :noway:[/quote]You mean you have more than one of some ? Maybe you can post here which ones you have more than one of, and you can swap them with someone else to complete your collection. And finally Forumosa can help people in need :help: