Help: Getting Driver License in Taiwan. Has USA Drivers License

Made a quick map of the US states where drivers licenses can be converted. Thought I’d leave it here for future use:

6 Likes

Which color means convertible?

Green

1 Like

This sounds like an episode of Friends, when Joey realizes his tailor is the only one who feels his balls. :smile:

I’ve never had to do that to play sports in the US, are you in the NBA?

1 Like

Finally someone that can relate. Yes, that Joey episode was so funny, but this was a lot worst b/c I was actually naked when a nurse passed by. The doctor didn’t close the door. I was very young at the time so I guess it wasn’t that big a deal.

It was for middle school baseball team. Back then, you need a physical to play sports in any level.

1 Like

correct, when I got TW licence by converting my HK one. Since HK-TW do not have any such agreement, I kept my HK licence. If I exchanged my Italian one instead, they would have kept it and sent back to Italy.

Funny that I got my HK licence by converting my Italian one and kept it alltogether. So now I have 3 licences, all different. The best is HK, I can drive all cars and motorbikes without any restrictions, in Italy cars and bikes up to a certain KWh limit (35 I recall), TW cars and “bikes” up to 250cc…

2 Likes

That’s interesting, I played high school sports back in the 80s, don’t remember that. Perhaps I blacked it out of my memory. :laughing: I think the private school required a physical overall, which would have covered it.

1 Like

Can Americans drive on the roads in Taiwan? American’s can’t even handle a roundabout that doesn’t have traffic lights! Let alone deal with a road rage incident without their trusty gun!

Heck. All of my American friends who had to do the test go on and on about failing the “S curve…”

When I did the test (I was under 25 which is the age to transfer Australian drivers licenses but no need to go to driving school in Taiwan,) the S curve was simple… It was simply reversing backwards!

2 Likes

Yes! Public school didn’t require physical to enroll. Only required when you play sports.

1 Like

The stereotype is that Asian females can’t drive. TW drives the same way Americans drive (on same side). Road rage happens all the time b/c of traffic and everybody thinks where they are going is much more important compared to the next person. It just people being people and also depends on person to person.

The first Taiwanese guy who cuts me off here, I’m doing this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/x599ua/drug_money_robbery_road_rage_whatever_it_was_it/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1 Like

If you look at the statistics table you will find that America is far worse that other developed countries and actually on par with Taiwan… (actually a little worse)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When’s the last time you were in the US? 1972? Roundabouts are everywhere.

1 Like

It probably varies. In Massachusetts there are very few, the only ones I can think of are at Whole Foods or Wegmans. NH has some big ones. We should have more. Regular intersections can get quite dangerous cause there’s always someone running red lights and cameras are very rare.

The Italians take the cake, I saw 4 lanes of traffic inside a roundabout during Milan rush hour. It was like synchronized swimming with cars.

1 Like

Yes, it’s hectic at times in Milan. But it somehow flows, since everyone wants to move.

1 Like

Generally wherever there would normally be a roundabout in the… (UK, Australia, New Zealand etc…) America would have stop and give way signs or traffic lights….

2 Likes

So I’m going to exchange my US license for a Taiwan one. I need to take the written test.

I was told that the US license needs to be translated and then notarized. Is this true? If not, I just take my US license to the AIT and they notarize it? Do I need to photocopy the front and back?

Edit: Yes, it needs to be done at the AIT. As for the translation, I’m not sure about that. I think maybe not.

Call the place that you plan to get the TW license and ask for supervisor. See what they say before you do anything, but if I remember correctly, I didn’t get it translated. All I did was getting it notarized but TW DOT took an hour to verify it. So maybe a translated copy would speed things up for you.

1 Like

no translation needed. AIT will notarize it (for the equivalent of like $50 as of 2021), and then you can exchange/do whatever based on your state’s agreement with Taiwan. :+1:

1 Like