Help: Getting Driver License in Taiwan. Has USA Drivers License

Will I need my US passport when applying for the Taiwan Driver License? I’ll be sending it in for renewal shortly…

Yes, if you are exchanging your US drivers license for a Taiwan one.

I didn’t bring mine, but after much deliberations with the supervisor I was finally given my license without a passport.

When I exchanged mine they had an outdated handbook too! The service woman was doing her best to not convert my Victorian, Australian licence as I did not have an ARC at the time. She was forced to.
After being forced to she brought out that book that was in English only, which ahe couldn’t speak a word of, and the handbook only had the previous design of our licences and she spent a good 30+ minutes staring at it for no apparent reason. I think she was hoping I would leave so she didn’t have to convert it

I didn’t have to surrender mine

1 Like

Do you have an ARC? Is so that may be sufficient, give them a call!

1 Like

Chasing some old guy the wrong way down a one-way street and robbing him at gunpoint? /sarcasm

Requirements as listed on the Motor Vehicles Office website: Taipei City Motor Vehicles Office-Obtaining a driver’s license in Taiwan

They mention using the Driver’s License Application Form (No. 21). Is this that form? https://ws.thb.gov.tw/Download.ashx?u=LzAwMS9VcGxvYWQvNDQwL3JlbGZpbGUvMTQzMzEvMjAzMjQxL2NjNjI5MGQ4LThhN2MtNGNlMS05NzNmLTg3OTM0ZDFkMmFkNS5wZGY%3D&n=5pmu6YCa5rG96LuK6aeV6aeb5Z%2B354Wn55m76KiY5pu4LnBkZg%3D%3D&icon=.pdf