Help! Leaving the Country as a dual citizen questions

Can anyone with a kind heart help? I have dual nationality and I’m leaving the country which usually means I get a little stamp on my passport saying “I haven’t done my military thing”. One can usually get it at the airport at a counter at the entrance, but I’m going on a cruize now and so I won’t make it to THAT counter. Where do I go? Who can I call? It’d be great if anyone has some info, especially ABCs or CBCs etc who have the same problem of military service. Otherwise any wise words are welcome. Thanks

Uzumaki :help: Naruto

Just curious if you answered your own question naruto?

Call the draft board; I’m sure they’ll be happy to help you resolve your problem.

…uuuh…Thanks for the help, geeeeezz you guys are “real” friendly… :bravo:

If we knew the answer we’d help out. But apparently and oddly, no one else has come across this problem?

Nope, I’m not friendly, and here’s a reason why: I find it hard to feel sorry for ABC’s and CBC’s who can not only hold dual citizenship without renouncing anything, but get all the benefits of both, and don’t have to pay the price, i.e. military service. And, apparently, get to go on “cruizes”, whatever those are.

hey i’m a CBC…but i can’t get dual citizenship…how did you get yours?

I’d love to help but I was born in Taiwan so I got my passport here before I left. Strictly speaking I’m not an ABC or CBC but I know as long as one of your parents are Taiwanese you can apply for it, easier if you’re a girl and can avoid military conscription. It’s not difficult and Taiwan doesn’t require you to drop one of your citizenships. Hope that is useful. :notworthy:

Yeah having dual nationality is the BOMB!! I got to stay in a foreign country for 15 years and now need to leave the country every 4 months!! I got to wait 3 years for permanent residency, 5 years for citizenship and then got to apply for my foreign passport, then 3 months to get special permission to use both passports at once. A piece of cake! Too bad I’m not an ABC or CBC, that would have been cool too. Are you in danger of military service? Otherwise I may be in more potential danger and going on “cruizes” is l just like going on a “cruise” only much coooooolllllller :stuck_out_tongue:

Naruto,

I doubt that anyone will disagree that people with real connections (such as long term residence and family ties) should not be citizens of the two (or more) countries with which they have connections. And everybody knows that conscription here is often pointless and a big pain in the behind for everyone.

What you may not know is that citizens from other countries who live in Taiwan for a long time and wish to be naturalised (so as to have normal rights and freedoms in Taiwan) have to give up their original citizenship. If I want to be Taiwanese, I have to give up all connection with the place I come from and I will be drafted to do military service.

I’ll tell you before anyone else does… Poagao is a former American who has settled in Taiwan. He had to give up his American citizenship to be a citizen here. And he did the normal military service. Most of us admire and respect what he, and a few others, did. Though we don’t think it’s fair that people of Taiwanese origin can be dual citizens when foreigners who settle in Taiwan can’t.

Of course, you may not know all this about what it’s like on the other side of the equation. And I’m sure you don’t know who Poagao is. If he was a bit ‘shirty’ with you then believe me most of us will think he’s about the only person here entitled to be. And being rude to Paogao is the surest way to make sure you won’t make many friends here.

I hope you get a reliable answer to your question. We all know what it’s like sometimes trying to get a straight answer for to an administrative or legal question here in Taiwan! And you are entitled to clear information so you can make your decisions.

What bullshit. No you don’t.

What bullshit. No you don’t.[/quote]
Uh, exactly what do you mean? I don’t need to leave the country or I need to leave every 3.9 months? Also I know Sandman is probably a revered member of this forum but does that entitle him to this kind of language?

Thank you for your words but do I detect a faint whisp of a threat in them? I did not wish to tick anyone off but I was only defending my own status. Just because Poagao did the military conscription like 99% of the male population on the island, does not give him any right to snort at a simple request I posted. Never did I jab at him or his position or what he has done before his remarks to my post. The only thing I did was bite back. Unfortunately I’m not even on the same equation as you guys (not American or Candian or British for that matter) let alone the other side, so the set of rules that apply to me are a bit different. Would you judge me as you believe I did Paogao before hearing my full story?

This original post was not about

That’s exactly what I mean.

Wow, poor guy. Anyone know where he might go for help? Seriously. He’s asking for help.

Naruto: Though often official/business places don’t seem to have the information they should, try asking the cruise company how to handle this. If you speak to someone reasonably high up in management and are nice and persistent, they can usually find out for you. This can’t be the first time this situation has happened.

What bullshit. No you don’t.[/quote]
Uh, exactly what do you mean? I don’t need to leave the country or I need to leave every 3.9 months? Also I know Sandman is probably a revered member of this forum but does that entitle him to this kind of language?[/quote]
Sandman is correct. All persons of ROC nationality are completely equal under the law. READ THE FIRST FEW ARTICLES OF THE ROC CONSTITUTION.

Sandman is correct. You don’t have to leave, and you are entitled to an ID card immediately … and if you don’t like this interpretation, complain to the Taiwanese government officials of your choice … because they are violating the Constitution.

What I really meant is that of course he doesn’t have to leave every four months. He can easily stay and do his military service – unless of course he’s a limp-wristed panty-waist girly-boy. :wink:

[quote=“naruto”]it seems to me Poagao REALLY HATES ABCs or CBCs

Thank you for your words but do I detect a faint whisp of a threat in them? […] Are you also defending this view of his Kategelan, or can I dismiss it as careless rantings of a bitter human?[/quote]
Threat? Of course not! And I was absolutely not defending, Poagao or anyone else. Poagao can speak for himself. I suppose I was just putting myself in your shoes and reckoning you might be a even more non-plussed without a little context.

You did make an assumption about Poagao (in what I took to be a rhetorical question): [quote=“Naruto”] Are you in danger of military service??[/quote]
Personally, I have no opinion about whether you manage to avoid getting drafted or not. I just think there should be clear rules and definitive information that EVERYONE has access to.

So would you explain or would you rather sit on the sidelines and throw vague-supposedly-smart comments. I’m Taiwanese BORN with a foreign passport, NOT a foreigner with Taiwanese residency. Maybe you didn’t see my previous posts or else please enlighten me. Unless of course you want to be a fortune teller when you grow up and “being vague” is training or maybe your just a rude foreigner (what’s new). The former I encourage the latter ignore.