Help with Taiwan SAR flag?

I got to looking at the list of available flags (for Formumosa member profiles), and noticed that one of them was “Taiwan SAR” (followed by “Taiwan SAR Panda”). Perhaps you remember that thread, which I understand attracted some media attention.

I’d like to put up a flag, but unfortunately I don’t know the first thing about these computer programs. Would some kind soul be willing to help me put together an electronic version of one of my Taiwan SAR flag proposals?

Here are the specs: A blue field, surrounded by a red frame. (Red box around blue square.) At the center (of the blue), a white Plum Blossom symbol (ie. that rounded, five-petalled flower that you see all over the place here).

Now here’s the tricky part: Within the Plum blossom, five red stars (each within one of the five petals)…but the top one significantly larger than the others, as on the PRC national emblem:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nati … _China.png

I leave the exact proportions to your aesthetic judgement.

The revolution thanks you!

What media attention? And did my design win? When does the PLA arrive?

I put up a few designs here.

Poagao, how easy is it to alter these designs? If you take the big blue one, but add a red frame (trim or box) around it, get rid of all the squiggly stamens or pistils in the middle of the flower, erase the gratuitous extra blue flower outline, and change the color and arrangement of the stars as described, then you’d have it.

Here’s the thread which inspired the above. (Note that I’ve changed my mind about several design features, partly because of the discussions here and below.)

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 18&start=0

Here’s one thread an ROT flag contest sponsored by the Tai Lien Dang (which I entered and lost):

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 57&start=0

And here’s the one with the panda flag and CKS flag, that got media attention (from TVBS). Note that one of the Taiwan SAR flag proposals uses the 5 stars from the PRC national emblem rather than the flag (a design element I’ve adopted):

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 32&start=0

What do you think of this:

i think most taiwanese are aghast at the thought of a TAIWAN S.A.R.

I think a picture of a Womble on the flag would be nice.

Thank you Poagao! Almost there…

Can you erase the blue dot in the middle, and rearrange the stars to look a bit more like the PRC emblem? I think the top one should be bigger, and the arc of the four lower ones flatter, if you see what I mean. (The first post in this thread has a link to the emblem.)

This is exciting! What are our chances of seeing this on the news someday, do you think? No–I don’t really support the PRC (I’m a longtime Tibet fan, for Samantabadra’s sake) but do love vexillology…

What’s a “SAR”? I’ve heard of “SARS”, though.

Special Administrative Region. What CCP calls HONG KONG. its now

HONG KONG S.A.R. HOng Kong Special Administrative Region. Macau has the same thing. the MACAU S.A.R.

THATS THE CCP’s idea for Taiwan. to make it a S.A.R. much like MACAU and HK is

but the taiwanese are not falling for the S.A.R. thingy.

its part of the CCP’s ONE NATION, TWO SYSTEMS idea

lovely in principle, but ??? Taiwanese dont trust the commies enough for that

Tommy, I don’t advocate a Taiwan SAR personally; I don’t think the system can be adapted for Taiwan. Something else is called for. This is just a theoretical discussion of that a Taiwan SAR flag would look like, not an advocation of such a situation. Personally, I’d rather see the ROC flag flying over Tiananmen.

Here’s another version:

[quote=“Poagao”]Tommy, I don’t advocate a Taiwan SAR personally; I don’t think the system can be adapted for Taiwan. Something else is called for. This is just a theoretical discussion of that a Taiwan SAR flag would look like, not an advocation of such a situation. Personally, I’d rather see the ROC flag flying over Tiananmen.

Here’s another version:

[/quote]

yes i figured as much.

this flag tho looks like something that HELLO KITTY would carry on her visits around the world. :slight_smile:

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Poagao”]Tommy, I don’t advocate a Taiwan SAR personally; I don’t think the system can be adapted for Taiwan. Something else is called for. This is just a theoretical discussion of that a Taiwan SAR flag would look like, not an advocation of such a situation. Personally, I’d rather see the ROC flag flying over Tiananmen.

Here’s another version:

[/quote]

yes i figured as much.

this flag tho looks like something that HELLO KITTY would carry on her visits around the world. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Well, that fits with Annette Lu’s description of Taiwan’s “Soft Power” anyway. It does look kind of like a cartoon explosion. I should add little hands and feet coming out of it.

Thank you again! This is it, pretty much. One more technical change. Can you rotate the four small stars, so that each one has one of its “points” pointing toward the large star? (Right now they are all aligned with one another.)

Thank you, Tommy 525, for your frank appraisal. I am honestly interested to see how other people would see it, especially design-wise (as opposed to politics-wise).

You know what this flag would be good for? Anti-KMT political protests. The real future Taiwan SAR flag (should we be so fortunate) will probably be more subtle than this, and who knows, China might not be using Communist symbols then.

By coincidence I have designed (half in jest) an “independence” flag for Taiwan that features a snarling Hello Kitty (she normally has no mouth) raising her paw, with claws out. Somewhat in the spirit of “Don’t tread on me!”

I have this feeling that there’s already a flag that looks like this, but with three stars. [Edit: Tennessee.]

I have mixed feelings about the regular ROC flag. On one hand it looks like the flag of Burma, touches color against color for no good reason, and there’s nothing especially Taiwanese about its design elements. On the other hand it’s grown on me, and I guess on a lot of people. Maybe they could have a “Taiwan” flag fly alongside it,. (Not this one of course–I like the Yellow Tiger flag but the powers-that-be apparently don’t.)

Here’s another flag challenge, which is appropriate either for Taiwan Independence leaning posters or staunch reunificationists. (If you like the status quo, I guess there’s no hope of a flag contest!) Design a flag for Taiwan, which incorporates aboriginal or other native designs of some sort.

PS. Here’s an idea which avoids the “starry explosion” problem. Unfortunately I don’t think Poagao can draw it (based on his comments last time around), but maybe you can visualize what I mean. Take out all the stars, and put back in the “stamens and pistils”–but color them red, and “trim” them into a star shape.

Another option would be to take out the five stars, add back the stamens/pistils in red, and then superimpose upon them a large PINK star which is smaller than the flower, but larger than the stamens/pistils. Or else render the stamens and pistils in WHITE within one large red star which is centered within the plum blossom.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Thank you again! This is it, pretty much. One more technical change. Can you rotate the four small stars, so that each one has one of its “points” pointing toward the large star? (Right now they are all aligned with one another.)

Thank you, Tommy 525, for your frank appraisal. I am honestly interested to see how other people would see it, especially design-wise (as opposed to politics-wise).

You know what this flag would be good for? Anti-KMT political protests. The real future Taiwan SAR flag (should we be so fortunate) will probably be more subtle than this, and who knows, China might not be using Communist symbols then.

By coincidence I have designed (half in jest) an “independence” flag for Taiwan that features a snarling Hello Kitty (she normally has no mouth) raising her paw, with claws out. Somewhat in the spirit of “Don’t tread on me!”

I have this feeling that there’s already a flag that looks like this, but with three stars. [Edit: Tennessee.]

I have mixed feelings about the regular ROC flag. On one hand it looks like the flag of Burma, touches color against color for no good reason, and there’s nothing especially Taiwanese about its design elements. On the other hand it’s grown on me, and I guess on a lot of people. Maybe they could have a “Taiwan” flag fly alongside it,. (Not this one of course–I like the Yellow Tiger flag but the powers-that-be apparently don’t.)

Here’s another flag challenge, which is appropriate either for Taiwan Independence leaning posters or staunch reunificationists. (If you like the status quo, I guess there’s no hope of a flag contest!) Design a flag for Taiwan, which incorporates aboriginal or other native designs of some sort.

PS. Here’s an idea which avoids the “starry explosion” problem. Unfortunately I don’t think Poagao can draw it (based on his comments last time around), but maybe you can visualize what I mean. Take out all the stars, and put back in the “stamens and pistils”–but color them red, and “trim” them into a star shape.

Another option would be to take out the five stars, add back the stamens/pistils in red, and then superimpose upon them a large PINK star which is smaller than the flower, but larger than the stamens/pistils. Or else render the stamens and pistils in WHITE within one large red star which is centered within the plum blossom.[/quote]

there IS nothing Taiwanese about the R.O.C flag. The R.O.C flag represents Ching tien (blue sky) pai ruh (white sun/day) , man tee hong (all ground red). The white sun is a symbol of the KMT. And many Taiwanese used to joke about man tee hong (all ground red) . yes , Red is supposed to signify prosperity. So it means , white sun in a clear sky over a land of prosperity.

but some taiwanese have derided it as the KMT turning the ground red with blood. But unfair i think. Even the CCP respects the flag of the R.O.C. even if not officially.

YOU notice the CCP demanding taiwan NOT change the flag and name of the R.O.C.

so even the CCP would not want the demise of the R.O.C. and its flag.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Thank you again! This is it, pretty much. One more technical change. Can you rotate the four small stars, so that each one has one of its “points” pointing toward the large star? (Right now they are all aligned with one another.)

Another option would be to take out the five stars, add back the stamens/pistils in red, and then superimpose upon them a large PINK star which is smaller than the flower, but larger than the stamens/pistils. Or else render the stamens and pistils in WHITE within one large red star which is centered within the plum blossom.[/quote]

Done. But I’m not going to add pink to a flag. I really don’t like pink. Or purple. To me, the ROC flag is better looking than the US flag, which looks like it was cut from a circus tent. But many countries have flags that don’t necessarily reflect concrete aspects of their native cultures. There are no Native American elements in the US flag, the French flag (no, not the white one, the other one) doesn’t feature the Eiffel Tower, just colors that reflect, like the ROC flag, vague concepts. Adding “Taiwanese” elements like that tiger or betelnuts or whatever makes it look like a state flag more than anything a real country would fly.

Personally, I think a flag showing pollution, a betel nut girl flashing traffic from a transparent window, and an apartment complex with concrete bar windows in the background would be a way to get more international recognition for Taiwan. Having a quiant flag would make people, countries, and venues want to fly the flag.

BTW, there are 51 stars

That could be a third category of flag design–the U.S. Territorial Flag of Taiwan, after Hartzell and Lin.

SJ, the blue and red combo make the flag look rather circus-like. I especially dislike the red border. I much prefer the one below drawn by Poagao. Maybe it was because I suggested the design but I like it because it is consistent with other SAR flags and is appropriately understated, esp. the stars.

The PRC leadership has always said that if reunification were to take place, the flag, anthem, and country names are all up for negotiation. Perhaps another challenge is to come up with a new post-unification Chinese flag.

I think it would be really cool if the new post-unification flag was non-rectangular like the Nepalese flag. It could be similar to those triangular war banners that armies used to carry into battle, with or without frills on the borders. Other like designs can also be adopted as illustrated underneath the Taiwan SAR flag.