High school options for non-millionaire expats?

Probably totally off topic here and enough so to start a new thread but does anyone here know of a decent junior high or similar (for an eight grader) school and/or an elementary school in the Taoyuan area?

Try Dahua private middle school in Sunny forest hill in yangmei.

Said to be good, source is a mod.

Are you asking for the SA family you posted about in another topic? If so, do they speak/read Chinese? The school Mr. He is recommending is probably all Chinese instruction…

Yeah, they can not speak Chinese but are willing to learn. A mix of Chinese and English instruction would be good for the 5-year old but I guess the 13-year old would need more English.

Sorry, did i say 5-year old? Apoloies from me! The one is 9, not 5, and yeah , I guess they’d need English instruction at least as a start.

[quote=“webdoctors”]um… so for your kid to spend an actual year doing say grade 9 it would cost $442,000NT, a.k.a. omg, almost $16k after transporation and food costs omg!

Er… I’m speechless, thats ridiculous, what expat can afford that?

Such tuition is an unreasonable hardship for expats considering the lack of viable alternatives for reasonable quality education. I don’t expect the school to change its fees since its a free market but… I’d think twice before having a kid in TW :frowning:[/quote]

My son is at the American School in Taiching ( Lincoln ) and it was close to NT$500,000 for the 2004/05 school year. And thats first year of junior high. Also due to those lovely admission fees… this year should be cheaper.

Most expats who are sent in from overseas would have housing and educational benefits paid by their companies. At least the ones I have done sat installs for do. Also some expats kids have failed the placement or English language tests.

On top of that Chaon also privately tutors my son for Math… so thats a few more $$$. He’s not looking for more students either, it’s just he’s known my son since the day he was born…

Disposable income is the critical situtation for how much you can afford to spend on your childs education. So if the dosh is not enough then it’s the best local school you can find.

One of my customers who lives in Lotus Hill has two children going to local schools. A daughter of 14 and a son of 11… both of them have had to learn Chinese and are doing well.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“webdoctors”]um… so for your kid to spend an actual year doing say grade 9 it would cost $442,000NT, a.k.a. omg, almost $16k after transporation and food costs omg!

Er… I’m speechless, thats ridiculous, what expat can afford that?

Such tuition is an unreasonable hardship for expats considering the lack of viable alternatives for reasonable quality education. I don’t expect the school to change its fees since its a free market but… I’d think twice before having a kid in TW :frowning:[/quote]

My son is at the American School in Taiching ( Lincoln ) and it was close to NT$500,000 for the 2004/05 school year. And thats first year of junior high. Also due to those lovely admission fees… this year should be cheaper.
[/quote]

WOW. After paying that U still have $$$ to feed them?

I dont think my parents paid that much in my whole life for my education (although it could be argued they did due to their property taxes going to local skulez).

Steak dinners, the odd lobster mornay, eggs benedict and toast for breaky, cream brulee snacks and my very own wickedly good lemon cheesecakes…

My son hates the lunch boxes bought by the school so he makes his own sandwiches for lunch.