Hike January 14, 2005: Ringing in a new decade

Thanks for the invitation, trail_hacker.

How about it, MM? Shall we tag along with trail_hacker’s gang? It’s conveniently close to Taipei (just a quarter of an hour or so by bus from Xindian MRT Station), and Feicui is truly a beautiful reservoir.

Trail_hacker, how long will the hike be in distance and time? Will you be returning to the starting-point at Guishan, or otherwise where will the hike end? How high will you be ascending, and how close will you get to the reservoir? And finally, how fit and fast is your group?

A new decade? You twenty already Macho Man?

Happy Birthday!! :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

Ok, I am out for this weekend, have to go south and visit relatives. Maybe I can escape for one day to the expat football tournament in Kaoshong. :wink:

:roflmao:

No hiking for me for a few weeks. Gotta go ride some elephants in tropical sunny weather. Sorry. :smiley:

MM: Welcome to the Old Farts Club! :grandpa:

Hi Omniloquacious:
The hike is about 14 km and take about 4 or 5 hours of walk without rest. The highest top we’ll be is about 583M height. We’ll walk back from the end of trail to the starting point by a sealed country road. This time we’ll mainly hike along the ridge next to the reservoir so it’s still far from the coast. However I know several trails down to
the coast. Last years I’ve done several times with our group. We may arrange another hike down to the coast if you’re interested.

groups.msn.com/s9ukhmgj3l1qegg0l … age48.msnw
groups.msn.com/s9ukhmgj3l1qegg0l … age79.msnw
groups.msn.com/s9ukhmgj3l1qegg0l … snw?Page=1

With more than 1500 members registered, our group are extremely open and dynamic. I just post this hike today so I still not
sure who will join this hike. I rank this hike as easy on our site so some newbies may come and the pace will be quite gentle. Anyway it’s
not bad for a birthday hike if you decide to join us.

Hi Trail_hacker,

Even though we haven’t met yet, I can tell that you’re a good addition to our hiking adventures. Thanks for offering your experience and variety.

Fun hiking to all,

Seeker4

Thanks for the information, trail_hacker. It sounds good, and I’ll be digesting it in my sleep tonight.

By the way, that’s a great name you’ve got yourself there.

Trail_hacker,

If we want to join your hike, do we need to confirm in advance, or is it okay to just turn up at Xindian MRT Station at the specified time on Saturday morning?

Hi Omniloquacious:
You can just turn up tomorrow am8:30. My mobile phone: 0936272150

Hi all,

Had a great birthday at Alishan, Dongpu and Sun Moon Lake, but we had a fairly serious car accident on the way home. We were stopped at a red light when a driver, oblivious to the light, smashed into the back of us. The rear of the car is competely toast. Patty and I are fine for the most part but we’ve both got pretty sore necks and backs and will be going in for X-rays tonight. I don’t think I will be up for a hike this weekend. My legs are fine but I want to see how my back and neck are. As the day wears on my neck in particular is getting more and more sore. Don’t want to put any strain on it hiking, especially with a pack on.

wow, that is a bummer :s

Here’s to a speedy recovery MM!

Wow! Sorry to hear that Macho Man. Glad it wasn’t more serious.

Chances are your neck will be even stiffer tomorrow anyway, so even if there’s no problem, you’re right, a hike would be a bad idea.

Get well soon (both of you).

That does suck. Sorry to hear that. Make sure you get a doctor to check your back/neck out, seriously. Take good care of yourself and your wife.

Bugger. I hope you and your wife are going to be okay. I guess the next few days will tell.

I was just driving up from Longtan just now thinking about how we put our lives in the hands of the other car drivers.

I think about the same thing almost everytime I am on the road.

:flowers: I hope you and P recover soon and I am glad both of you are still in one piece. And I hope the legal system works in your favor.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Hi all,

Had a great birthday at Alishan, Dongpu and Sun Moon Lake, but we had a fairly serious car accident on the way home. We were stopped at a red light when a driver, oblivious to the light, smashed into the back of us. The rear of the car is competely toast. Patty and I are fine for the most part but we’ve both got pretty sore necks and backs and will be going in for X-rays tonight. I don’t think I will be up for a hike this weekend. My legs are fine but I want to see how my back and neck are. As the day wears on my neck in particular is getting more and more sore. Don’t want to put any strain on it hiking, especially with a pack on.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your trouble Mucha_Man. A whipplash is a troublesome thing, and should not be dealt lightly with. I doubt that they can see anything on x-rays though. I think it is diagnosed just by symptoms, that’s why it is also popular to fake it. Anyway, an x-ray will tell if anything worse happened. Which we all hope did not. But as the irish guy mentioned, chances are that you won’t feel any better tomorrow. Had a light one myself from just a small bump into the back of my car, lasted for a week. I wish you a fast recovery.

Hi Mucha_man:
Sadly to hear this news. Hope that you’ll have a quick recovery and see you soon in a next hike!

Welcome back, MM. Sorry to hear about the accident, and I hope you’ll both brush off the effects very quickly.

Did the moron who smashed into you admit his fault and accept liability?

Meaning, do we have to all sharpen the pointy ends on our hiking poles?