Hike January 14, 2005: Ringing in a new decade

Meaning, do we have to all sharpen the pointy ends on our hiking poles?[/quote]

He’d certainly deserve a damn good poking unless he offered his abject apologies and accepted full responsibility for the consequences of his reckless driving.

Meaning, do we have to all sharpen the pointy ends on our hiking poles?[/quote]

He’d certainly deserve a damn good poking unless he offered his abject apologies and accepted full responsibility for the consequences of his reckless driving.[/quote]
And IrishStu would be just the man to do it. Assuming he still has some lead in his pencil after “oiling his guitar.”

MM, just make sure you and your wife are both wearing conspicuous neck braces if you have to meet with the police or the other driver, etc.
Hope you both recover well and soon.

Thanks for all the support. The young driver who hit us was a model of civic-mindedness. No kidding. He called the police and tow trucks (and his insurance company) right away while I was still in a daze. He also set up those triangle warning signs behind my car to direct traffic around. He apologized sincerely, looked extremely remorseful and admitted, and signed for, full responsibility at the police station.

Our car was towed to the Nantou Toyota factory and will be repaired there. It was hit pretty hard and I doubt it will ever run the same but that’s life. Could have been a lot worse. We were knocked right out into the intersection but as it was one of those small alley intersections there were no cars coming.

Saw a doctor tonight. Hey, my pulse rate is only 55. Not bad for an old man.

One freaky coincidence in all this is that the last time I was in a serious car accident was the day/night after my 20th birthday. Man, I am staying in a locked room the day after my 60th.

I should be okay. I was reading less than 10% of whiplash victims have any permanent symtpoms. And funny enough, I was about as prepared as possible for this. Last year I spent a number of months getting physio work on my back so that I had no long-term injuries to aggravate. I am also in really good shape and have been doing pilates/ball exercises to strengthen my core muscles for the past year and a half. On the day of the accident my wife and I had a two hour hotspring and a massage. We then had dinner on a patio overlooking Sun Moon Lake. I was about as relaxed as one could be. :laughing:

Hope you all have a good hike tomorrow. I’ll be thinking of you in between popping muscle relaxants. (I’m using tequilla tonight.)

Really sorry to read this MM. I hope you are both feeling a little better today. L.

I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday’s hike with trail_hacker. It’s a pity you had to miss it, MM, and that none of you others could make it.

We had a group of 14, all Taiwanese except for me and one non-Forumosan American whose girlfriend had found out about the hike and brought him along. Nine of our party were young women, but none had a problem keeping up a reasonable pace and they provided excellent company. We also had a little doggie tag along, which joined us soon after the start of the hike and stayed with us until just before the end.

The weather could not possibly have been better, and we made a full day of it, finishing the hike and getting on the bus back to Taipei as dusk turned to night. The climb up to the ridge was nicely challenging – a fairly steep, well overgrown, completely natural, evidently seldom-used and often barely discernible trail with a good population of leeches. We got a lot of splendid views of Feicui Reservoir and the surrounding hills along the way, and identified a couple of paths that lead down to the water. There wasn’t enough time for us to also make it to the reservoir, which looked so inviting and a dip in which would have rounded out the day to perfection, but that exciting propect now just awaits the selection of another suitable opportunity.

It’s a great addition to my list of hiking areas, I’m really glad I went along, and many thanks to trail-hacker for setting it up.

I hope you and P are feeling no ill effects from your jolting, MM, and will be back in action on the trails again soon.

I am sorry I had to miss it. However, I am happy you were introduced to it and will be able to lead the others on a reservoir swim this summer.

Sounds like a very nice hike. I would need one of that to recover from the family banguet down south.

And bad too hear from your accident Much Man. Wish you and your wife a fast recovery and that things turn good soon.

How’s the hiking schdule looking?

Should resume next weekend. My brochitis is finished and I am really looking to get back out on the trails with the nice people who make up the club.

I’m going to venture out with the nice people as well. See you there.

Yes, it is about time we got together again. Crappy weather here today so we’re going for chocolate fondu. Guess I’ll need to go to the pool tomorrow.

Should resume next weekend. My brochitis is finished and I am really looking to get back out on the trails with the nice people who make up the club.[/quote]

I’ll be raring to go if weather, work and other circumstances so permit (and provided that I’m counted among those nice enough for inclusion).

What about unknowns like me? :slight_smile:

What about unknowns like me? :slight_smile:[/quote]

We’ll have a meeting on Wednesday behind closed doors to discuss your membership. Try not to give blood this week in case you are accepted.

Would love to join again if I get healthy, got some time and so on, oh and of course also just if I am nice enought to join. Can’t remember if I was judged so the one time I had the honour.
Some exercise before I go to Europe in 1 1/2 week would be not too bad.
Let me know whats up next.

I am leaning heavily toward doing the Sandiaoling trail. We did this last spring. Really lovely and fresh area with several of the largest waterfalls in Taiwan as a bonus. We can do this one rain or shine.

Mingshah, we are still deliberating on your membership. Something about mocking the green-caped leader is holding up the approval. :wink:

What about unknowns like me? :slight_smile:[/quote]

We’ll have a meeting on Wednesday behind closed doors to discuss your membership. Try not to give blood this week in case you are accepted.[/quote]

Lucky I have a freezer full of the stuff for my regular race season dope testing.