Hiking: Dec 03 - Huangdidian

By the way, folks, the temp is going to drop in the afternoon so come prepared.

Fun days hiking. 6 1/2 hours. 2,000 calories and very relaxing, although the technical bits got a little adrenalin going.

Monk giving us tea and biscuits.

The monkey used to sit in the other chair with monk. Some mystery about why he is no longer around.

Tree blocking problem.

Irishstu indicating how tall a Taiwanese Leprachaun would be.

Chris and Kitty.

Another wonderful hike. I have done Huangdidian many times but I discovered an entire section of it I did not know about. The whole trail from Shiding all the way down to the 106 near Jingtong on the other side should take about 6-7 hours to finish. Another remarkable hiking opportunity so close to the city.

The ridge has been made safer in parts with the addition of ropes arranged like a matinee style queue. All they need is a red carpet on the ground. Well, it makes it possible to walk even on a slightly damp day.

Interesting though, with the ropes in place I see just how precarious the walk was before. What was I thinking!

Here’s a short section where there are still no ropes. It’s a long way to the bottom if you fall.

Fortunately, Ironman fell off on section that had bushes growing along the sides.

The forces of nature:

The forces of Germany:

Happy hikers:

Wonderful views:

[/quote]

Great Photos,

Shame I missed it. You look like you had a good day!

L.

I’m glad I’ve seen that shot. Have a look at the trail right there. Green moss.

I was trying to think today why I was just suddenly in the bush. It seemed a very fast transition from hiking and trying to work out the correct single word to describe Australia’s democratic compulsory voting system and suddenly being gone and wondering if I was about to keep on going…down.

it was a great hike so much adventure: rope climbing, ladder climbing, ridge walking, slippery stone stepping, and tea drinking.

You forgot monk-ing around.

You guys on the grey ridge makes me think of Dune. Remember how the Freeman rode those giant worms.

I read in the Liberty Times that on Sunday a 63-year-old man, who was hiking along Huangdidian with four companions, slipped and fell 100 metres to his death. :frowning:

Wow, that’s terrible news. I do wonder, though, how many times that has happened. Did it rain on Sunday? If so, I’m sure that was a contributing factor.

I know the time I hiked there about 4 years ago, my wife and I were scared out of our minds during the more dangerous stretches. I think it had rained the previous day, and the trail was still a little damp.

Even so, I’ve been wanting to go back there sometime to check it out now that it’s supposedly safer. I guess there are still enough dangerous parts that it’s not completely safe.

I’m not so sure that I’d want to try Huangdidian unless it’s very safe. I’ve become extremely risk averse now that I’m a father of two little ones.

Sunday morning was sunny, the weather turned bad Sunday afternoon.

[quote=“scomargo”]Wow, that’s terrible news. I do wonder, though, how many times that has happened. Did it rain on Sunday? If so, I’m sure that was a contributing factor.

I know the time I hiked there about 4 years ago, my wife and I were scared out of our minds during the more dangerous stretches. I think it had rained the previous day, and the trail was still a little damp.

Even so, I’ve been wanting to go back there sometime to check it out now that it’s supposedly safer. I guess there are still enough dangerous parts that it’s not completely safe.

I’m not so sure that I’d want to try Huangdidian unless it’s very safe. I’ve become extremely risk averse now that I’m a father of two little ones.[/quote]

Hi Scott,

Haven’t heard from you in ages. I guess family life is going well as you seem not to want to drop out of it anytime soon. :wink:

Omni, that is sad news.

Huangdidian can be a bit tricky. Even our own ironman fell off a section. Fortunately it was into scrub which held him up.

accident waiting to happen…for some reason huangdidian’s turned into a real family outing…but as we all know its a fairly hi-octane sort of a hike…not for the faint hearted…

every time i go there i meet families and birds in high-heels and couples with dogs; and i think to myself, one of these days someones gunna come a cropper…

[quote=“the bear”]accident waiting to happen…for some reason huangdidian’s turned into a real family outing…but as we all know its a fairly hi-octane sort of a hike…not for the faint hearted…

every time i go there i meet families and birds in high-heels and couples with dogs; and i think to myself, one of these days someones gunna come a cropper…[/quote]

I know, absolutely rididulous. It’s why they have to have no swimming signs up everywhere. People see you doing it and think they can do it too.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Hi Scott,

Haven’t heard from you in ages. I guess family life is going well as you seem not to want to drop out of it anytime soon. :wink: [/quote]
Yes, I’ve been taking a break from posting on Forumosa. I still read once in a while, but I don’t post much unless something really catches my eye. Like this thread and Limey’s Wedding thread.

I’m staying pretty busy now that my children are walking around. Hopefully by the time the weather warms up they’ll be walking well enough to do some nice outdoor walks and/or hikes.

You couldn’t do better than start them river-tracing from an early age.

But perhaps you’d better not take them up on Huangdidian till they’re a good deal older.