Hiking equipment with reasonable prices

Yeah, the plastic lining in my Arc’Teryx bag shed off years ago (starting in China), I just got a rain cover for it and it works fine. As mentioned above, the taped seams on jacket fell apart (while in Thailand) but they just gave me a new one (the warranty person said they haven’t figured out how to make the tape last in a tropical climate, about 8 years ago). My Mountain Hardware tent made it the distance, though, but I got rid of that with a bunch of other camping stuff for the move here; I’m ready for a new tent but not sure what kind of camping I will be doing here (probably not canoe camping)!

1 Like

Import taxes have nothing to do with the brand. Who do you think is profiting off an import tax :thinking:?

That is your right to be skeptical. But if you criticize and in the same breath you are outfitting the whole family at Uniqlo than I’d say you’re part of the problem not the solution.

I don’t like uniqlo. Just saying.
I think there’s issues with plastic clothes and the fashion industry for sure. We don’t buy a lot of clothes I reckon not so bad.
I’ve looked into making more environmental shoes in particular. Rubber, straw, hemp , that kind of stuff.

It’s like all the other stuff people like overpaying, race bikes, camera’s, cars, all the stuff people can use to show to friends.

1 Like

Bug face.

I had a snowpeak coffee brewer thing that I won.
The wife put it up for sale on yahoo or something.

Holy shit! People were mailing within 1 minute or something . They love brands so much many people are super shallow. They judge each other by cars, camping gear all that shit all the time.

The best camping gear are big Bowie knives, axes, all that shit . :grin::grinning:
I might get a few and strap up and go camping see.what the locals say.

:fu:

1 Like

Mad init! Live in a shitty looking dirty apartment with rusted cages over the windows, wear market clothes eat at night markets.
Own Biggest best shiny car with sunroof :sweat_smile: pro washed each week detailing once a month.

How different are we to them? … a lot

1 Like

I can’t understand. I would rather an impressive house than car.

Live and let live. Their fancy car and rusted house is as much your business as a millipedes choice in mouldy leaves is. Same goes for them towards you.

2 Likes

For me the most important is shoes, and there is only one choice… Salomon speedcross… They are damn expensive here considering I go through one pair every 2 months or so (or 2 weeks /600km)

But if you hike often enough, there is really nothing interesting at decathlon, same for any sport your enthusiastic about, it’s all rubbish. It’s good enough for leisure, but not ambitious sport.

Every time I buy something at decathlon for more ambitious activities I buy twice…

But yeah especially underwear or functional clothing I always have cheap stuff for non demanding activities, and expensive for when it matters or may matter.

But backpack or shoes, would never settle for cheap…

1 Like

Had to look them up. Around NT$11,000 at USD $130 from Salomon.

How much are they in Taiwan?

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/speedcross-5.html#color=25675

You represent 0.00001 per cent of the population .
Don’t forget vitamins too though. :grin:

About 10 percent more, In Europe or China often possible to get them for 70 Euros however if you go last season model/colour. I don’t mind pro, pro2, 4 or 5. For Himalayas I would get the pros /pro 2 however. They are a bit sturdier and good enough for any non expedition stuff. Got me in winter to 6000m with loads of snow. Yes every night soaked but no probs while wearing. Nothing except full on expedition equipment would have stayed dry. But that would have slowed me down way too much.

5 and pro 2 are better on wet stones, but break down even faster. Pro was actually the best for me, can cope with them being slippy on wet stones. It’s kinda just the 5 and please pro2 being awesome there too. Coming from conventional shoes to speedcross is just insane about how much grip they have. They just gonna make you wanna go fast…

I don’t feel like that is much… but actually that usually includes like 3000m vert up and down per day in high altitude (2000-6000 metres). Anything over 50km and 4000m vert up and down per day and we get talking seriously and above my limits

Sure, OK :yawning_face:

3 Likes

Buy a tent there, it will be good for 2 years and maybe 30-40 days of sleeping in it. But I hope for you, you never sleep in it on a 100km/h storm day.
Decathlon stuff is good for leisure, but not ambitious use. Also except clothes usually not good for long time frequent use. I would not buy hardshells there either, though they will actually be likely more cost efficient compared to really high quality stuff like arctery’x or say Burton AK or Mammut extreme. Mind the last 4-5 years many high quality brands only care about light, not about longevity. Need to understand that yourself when buying top of the line stuff from expensive brands.

Very few ballistic nylon clothes out there recently for hardshells. My best jacket I ever had was a rossignol gore airvantange jacket made 100 percent out of 3d stretch ballistic nylon on the outside. Was actually not even too heavy and held up loads. Once crashed through a thorny bush snowboarding tearing my skin below the jacket in parts but that damn jacket afterwards looked pristine. Decathlon stuff would have been in pieces…

Yes this worries me SO much.

2 Likes

I haven’t encountered this problem with any of the Decathlon stuff I’ve bought. I’ve been able to avoid it entirely, actually, by simply not snowboarding through thorny bushes.

2 Likes

I have a tent from them that has been in all sort of places (and that has been used for much longer than that). At some point I was going to throw it away because it got full of mould after several months untouched (and well, packed damp). Then I bought another one that was more expensive but inferior in many ways. Then I tried to get rid of the mould on the former one by dragging it over sand in a beach, which kinda spoilt a bit the seams. I was about to give up when I had the idea of soaking it in bleach.

Now it’s still my favourite tent when I can carry the weight (it’s heavier than a newer one that I got last year).

Jackets? I don’t know, I’m sure there’s super good stuff out there. For tshirts, trousers, and many other things, if you don’t go with their cheap options you are just wasting money, literally. I don’t care about how many times you plan on snowboarding through bushes and rocks, but for normal use they’re just perfect. The prices I see from main brands are just ridiculous and there’s no way anybody can justify it, because it’s mass production, the technology is far from new, there’s nothing sophisticated about its production, because the materials are cheap, because their labour is cheap no matter what you’ve been told, and because you seem to be a marketing victim.

But I get it, expensive gear boosts the epicness, the sense of adventure, and so on. I’m sure not only you but thousands of people swear by their expensive gear, only to feel uncomfortable when a “local” passes them wearing sandals or rubber boots and perhaps an old pair of shitty trousers.

A guy who’s a mountain / adventure guide in Taiwan told me once that he wore those expensive shoes and gear ONLY because when his customers from abroad come they have some expectations and to wear those simple rain boots (which are the choice of many people for many trails here) would just spoil their fun. It would make them feel like idiots. They would perceive the trails and activities less of an adventure.

So yeah, wear your 2,000$ gear if that gives you confidence and also peace of mind about the people in Indonesia who put sticker A instead of sticker Z on them.

2 Likes

Sounds like you either drag your feet and bounce them off rocks or the shoes are pretty shit. What part of them fails after only 600km?