Historic Buildings in Taipei

I guess that means the old French colonial buildings in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia should be demolished, right?

How about the buildings the British built in India?

Sorry, I don’t agree with you, Wolf.

The Japanese colonial period is part of Taiwan’s history. Why would you suggest demoloshing part of Taiwan’s past?

Wolf is entitled to his opinions. I’m just glad he’s not the mayor of Taipei. I doubt he has ever paused to really look at any of those “alien dwellings.” My recommendation: Go to MRT NTU Hospital station, go out Exit 2, and take a look at the building on your left-hand side. Who in his right mind would want to demolish such a building?

Incubus… The Koreans would.

Though the KMT has preserved some historic buildings from the Japanese era, it has also done its share of boorish, destructive alteration work on ancient structures. Ever wonder why the north gate (the salmon color one in front of the old post office on Zhongxiao W. Rd) looks so different from the other ancient gates? The answer: CKS gave the others a face lift after he came to Taiwan. He altered the original southern Chinese architectural style in favor of the more ornate and gaudy northern Chinese palatial style. The Grand Hotel is another of his handiwork. :unamused: Of the four remaining “ancient” gates, the north gate is the only true relic from the Qing Dynasty.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]:evil: Personally, I think that all the Japanese occupation buildings should be demolished.
Protecting the alien dwellings of a conquering interloper is rubbish. :imp:

And the dismantling the 70-year-old Zhongshan Bridge, another Japanese occupation gig, was a colossal waste of taxpayer money. Look at the thing – its just a bunch of pored concrete. It has absolutely no value at all. Now it sits in pieces until they find somewhere to put it back together (at our expense). :imp:[/quote]

Closing your eyes to history does not mean that it did not happen :wink:.