Hollywood politics

Just watched Kimmel’s Oscars monologue. Ten solid minutes of smug, nauseating virtue signalling and identity politics. As if that will help make up for all the Harvey Weinsteins. Hypocrisy? Off the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzsl9hcTQkw

4 Likes

Yup, Golden Globe awards were the same,remember all the faux outrage over Trump’s groping scandal? Meryl Streep bitch-slapped Trump for something like ten minutes from her pulpit at the Golden Globe awards. On behalf of untold others, I would like to say something to Streep and her Hollywood brethren: Shut the fuck up and act. You have absolutely no moral high ground to stand on from which to proselytize and lecture the rest of us about how people and politicians should behave and about how compassionate you are. In fact, you stand on lower ground. You knowingly protected and enabled a sexual predator, through your actions or silence or willful ignorance, because that predator was one of your own.
Now the Women who took the “money” for years from Weinstein, instead of preventing his behaviour (UK spelling), hard as that may have been, are seen as “victims”.
The Narrative against Trump seems purely Political Virtue crap .He may be an ass , but Hollywood is in a different league IMO.
At least the “Stars”, were protected by armed bodyguards last night :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

The whole ceremony has become ridiculously politicized, and it’s all from one direction. At least Americans who are (somehow) still on the fence about whether the news media is biased had it opened up by Kimmel and sitting in front of them like an old can of tuna, smelling like what it clearly, clearly was and is. If only they’ll open their eyes.

Even worse than Kimmel was Frances McDormand’s sad, hippy-wannabe demand for ‘inclusion rider’. I’m sure the Academy, Hollywood, coastal California, and the Eastern seaboard above Baltimore all think it was perfectly proper and fair.

Nauseating just about covers it.

1 Like

The thing is that to some people at least, having an ass as the President isn’t at all in the same league as having even a whole raft of asses in Hollywood. They can float around for a while or make another crappy movie or whatever. I understand it ruffles some people’s feathers that they get a big fat platform to exercise their right to free speech from, but, unlike having an ass in a position of true power and influence, it doesn’t make a difference. Not really. I for one wouldn’t even notice if the ceremony never even happened. Some people watch it, and if they’re inclined to agree with whatever they’re selling, they will. Some not inclined won’t (as can be seen here). Most won’t care and will wait for the next joke. With Trump, we’re the joke.

3 Likes

Now I know not to watch the rest of the show. I actually like McDormand as an actress (unlike the insufferable, overrated Streep), so it’s probably better if I keep a little mystery in the relationship. I miss the old days at the awards ceremonies.

1 Like

C’mon, man. Obama wasn’t that bad…was he?

1 Like

As far as I can tell, Trump wasn’t even mentioned in yesterday’s award ceremony. Pence took the hit, not Trump. <<<Nah, I’m wrong. Kimmel made a joke or two about Trump.

Look, there are tons of intelligent, knowledgeable, and wise members of the GOP. Positions, too. Hollywood should have done what it usually does and avoid politics or present both sides (or skewer both sides).

All one way, though. Disgusting.

2 Likes

Nah, that’s done. Stick a fork in it.

Not Hollywood’s place to say so, even if it’s true - and it’s not.

But it’s aight, Hollywood will hopefully get consumed by Atlanta soon. Man can dream.

Regardless of one’s political persuasion, using a platform like the Oscars to basically tell half of your potential audience (the country) to fuck off is not a wise business strategy. And when it’s a community rife with degenerates pretending to stand on the moral high ground and lecture everyone else about morality…well, that’s just icing on the cake.

2 Likes

They can say what they want as far as I can see. I get not liking it, or criticizing any viewpoints, but I don’t get the entitlement that says they have to be politically mute. I for one could care less what they say or if they say nothing or become irrelevant, but it’s still America.

I don’t have any problem with celebrities making political remarks in public, things like calling out Weinstein or Trump are often justified, nor do I have a problem with inclusion rider (it will depend on how it’s actually done I suppose). Like it or not, Harvey Weinstein, and many others like Roman Polanski, Matt Lauer, Kevin Spacey, and Bill Cosby have been known as creeps/rapists for years/decades. The fact that their careers are dead is nothing short of deserving and satisfying. Also, the reality is, in the film industry women and POC are indeed very much marginalised. So these social commentaries are all fine. I don’t mind them that much.

What I have a problem with these Hollywood cunts is the fact that they are all unbelievably out of touch, as if the viewers watching were incapable of googling. Oprah’s speech at the globes this year is one of the most vomit-inducing pieces of shit I’ve ever heard in my life. Everyone knows that she used to invite him to her house parties ALL THE FUCKING TIME before the scandals broke, yet those phony shitheads had the face of cheering her loudly . They also invited Kirk-fucking-Douglas and greeted him with a standing ovation, as if nobody’s ever heard of the notoriousness that is Natalie Wood’s rape case.

Then today they awarded Kobe-fucking-Bryant an Oscar for his basketball animation short subject. The selective prosecution is a trillion times worse than the private jet-flying DiCaprio’s laughable lecture on climate change, and this is coming from an avid DiCaprio hater.

4 Likes

Well, they have every right to say and think what they like. I do not think it’s fair, much less wise, for Hollywood to promote exactly one side and simultaneously skewer the other side, by name, without throwing in a little fair time.

I get it: if you’re on the left, you think it was all perfectly proper and fair. But at least half the country will disagree. Vehemently.

1 Like

Nice to see there’s something we agree about.

What I find absolutely amusing about Hollywood’s stance on the Republican party is that they adore Clint Eastwood, who is like the ultimate Republican. :rofl:

More like they put up with him because he makes good (and, more importantly, profitable) films.

1 Like

So, um…who won Best Picture and Best Director?

That’s it. They either do or they don’t. If they do, and you’re complaining, it’s not about fairness.

I do not think it’s fair, much less wise, for Hollywood to promote exactly one side and simultaneously skewer the other side, by name, without throwing in a little fair time.

They’re private citizens. They can say what they want. Don’t like what they say? Great. Fairness clearly isn’t part of it though. If it’s not wise, that’s their problem.

I get it: if you’re on the left, you think it was all perfectly proper and fair.

You don’t get it.

But at least half the country will disagree. Vehemently.

They’re not thinking clearly, and this not the only thing. Objectively they can say what they want. It’s not some kind of nationally subsidized political bullhorn. Boycott them, speak against them, make your own bullhorn but even vehement disagreement about their right to free speech is simply wrongheaded.

Mods, can this be split off to IP with the rest of the political stuff? Or at least a different thread.

2 Likes

Mea culpa. This shitstorm probably doesn’t belong here.

1 Like