Hollywood politics

Yeah…twas Milker that started it…:rofl:

I doubt that half of the country ever watch these award shows anyway. They are not their intended audiences at all. Not even remotely.

But the awards ceremony doesn’t exist in a vacuum. They wouldn’t air it if it did.

It’s not possible to spin this as just a private dinner party where Hollywood let its guard down. This was intended to inspire (what you term) their target audience, and equally to inflame the other half.

Hollywood just won’t pay much of a price for it, granted. Most of the world agrees with Hollywood about Trump, and their audience is now a global one.

Pretty rich, though, that McDormand makes a nominated film set in small-town Missouri and then joins the academy in disparaging its citizens, even if they’re imaginary.

2 Likes

If refundable tax credits count as subsidies, it’s an internationally subsidized bullhorn. Ask any accountant in “Hollywood North”.

Thanks for reminding us that although Covfefists are innocent until proven guilty, dem Dems are the other way around. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Make Hollywood great again? Or…

Tip of the day: add a rainbow emoji to express optimism. :rainbow:

Speaking of tax breaks…

Recently, Atlanta has become a center for film and television production, largely due to the Georgia Entertainment Industry Investment Act, which awards qualified productions a transferable income tax credit of 20% of all in-state costs for film and television investments of $500,000 or more.[120] Film and television production facilities in Atlanta include Turner Studios, Pinewood Studios (Pinewood Atlanta), Tyler Perry Studios, Williams Street Productions, and the EUE/Screen Gems soundstages. Film and television production injected $6 billion into Georgia’s economy in 2015, with Atlanta garnering most of the projects.[121] Atlanta has gained recognition as a center of production of horror and zombie-related productions,[122] with Atlanta magazine dubbing the city the “Zombie Capital of the World”.[123][124]

So that’s where zombies come from! :slight_smile: :zombie:

I thought it was just because of the Real Housewives of Atlanta

I would have liked to have heard a few more off coloured jokes.

Such as what’s the only wood that doesn’t float? Natalie Wood. :rofl:
Why didn`t Natalie Wood take a shower on the boat? She wanted to wash up ashore.

Bad taste awards don’t grow on trees, y’know…

1 Like

So all that virtue signalling was a boon for ratings…right?

2 Likes

Yeah, carryover from the NFL no doubt.

It’s crazy, but Hollywood now believes that entertainment’s old ways of signifying national unity are old-fashioned political statements that don’t support the identity politics of the Democrat party (stand for national anthem, recite Pledge with hand over heart, don’t disparage America outside the country, never allow yourself to be seen as disrespectful, display some humility, etc.).

These days Hollywood wants in your living room to put its politics front and center, no matter what you who ultimately pay their salaries might think. For your own good!

Looks like Americans are going to have to step it up if they want the coastal elites to love 'em again.

1 Like

Yes, because so many people’s entire self-esteem depends on whether or not Jimmy Kimmel thinks they’re a good person.

If Hollywood were just a little more honest, this is what the Oscars might look like:

Ricky Gervais needs to host next year’s show and shade the fuck out of them.

I’d watch that. Bill Burr or Dave Chappelle would also be good choices. Basically anybody besides Jimmy Kimmel and James Corden.

What really burns is that Hollywood makes so much profit from glorifying extreme, graphic violence - especially gun violence - and then has the unmitigated gall to use their awards program as a platform to attack … gun violence. As if Hollywood’s product has no responsibility for it, la. And meanwhile, in the background they’re happy to turn their personal safety over to a very heavily armed security force - and then berate the NRA for fighting for the right of every American to employ their own security force.

Every action movie has multiple examples of one human dominating another by bearing a weapon (usually a gun). Guns are fetishized in their display. The more explicit the violence the better. Simple, spare revenge melodramas are honey pots of profit. Hollywood makes a shit pile of money from violence, then marches their talent, unchallenged, one after another, through their awards ceremony to decry gun ownership and expects their television audience to sit for their shit.

No wonder that anybody who watches their product finds their hypocrisy disgusting enough to turn the television channel.

2 Likes

Who the hell watches that shit anyway? It was bad enough when the TV only had 4 channels and I knew most of the movies that were getting awards.

These days, I don’t know any of the movies, plenty of other places to get entertainment, why would I sit and watch a bunch of multi millionaire hypocrites from one of the most morally corrupt industries lecture everyone else on morals.

1 Like

Amen

I never got why people watches these award shows.

And why is it Hollywood politics. Just because one person who’s profession happens to be an actor does not represent the entire political opinion of “Hollywood” Like when people attack athletes for having a political opinion discrediting them because of their profession. It’s ridiculous.

Whatever happened to that planned remake of Casablanca?

Which one?