Home Wi-Fi

I need to buy home wifi or internet. What’s an affordable way to do this? Can I ask for a second mobile data chip and use that? Is there a good mobile company that offers home plus mobile data packages? I’m already paying for unlimited data on my phone.

How much you payin on your phone?

499 a month or something

Ah.

Taiwan Mobile has a combo deal where you can pay $999 for unlimited 4G internet on the phone like you are paying now and 120 mbps home broadband.

Basically $499 for both each.

4 Likes

Is using your phone as a hotspot an option?

It is, but just inconvenient since it tends to drop and I need to keep phone plugged in, it may kill battery over time etc

It’s not good for the phone or battery long term.

What model is the phone and how old is it?

I chatted with Taiwan mobile today and they have a 1 gigabit (1000MB per second) home plan for 1000 TWD per month. Is it reliable? Has anyone tried?

Does anyone know what kind of connection these Taiwan Mobile home broadband plans use? If it’s using DSL, is there another monthly fee for the physical phone line?

1GB of data? For NT$1000? That can’t be right.

1GB isn’t even enough to watch one film on Netflix.

Sorry I mean 1000 MBPS, or gigabit internet

2 Likes

Ah, now it makes sense :slight_smile:.

CHT top speed is about 1200 NTD plus their tv/video on demand setvice, MOD.

Most providers have sales/offers/freebies for people first time they sign up. Shop around and compare deals.

Worst deal is the one through cable service providers.

By far the best deal where I live is the local cable provider and that’s just based on cost, throw in CHT’s horrendous (customer) service and it’s a no brainer.

Agree CHT customer service should improve, but my understanding from my neighbors us that while cheaper, the internet service though cable, at least in our hood, is less reliable, prone to issues and slower.

And at least CHT shows up for repairs the same day, in my experience. Cable…

1 Like

I’d always choose Chungwha if it were available, but the cable providers in my experience are almost as good and cheaper, and they can provide service in areas where Chungwha can’t. Chungwha’s best plan in some neighborhoods, near the sea especially, is only 100mbps. The cable companies give best effort, which is usually over 200mbps, and TV for the same price. It all depends on the area and specific cable service providers.

PS - Do you guys have the History channels and NFL games on the standard plans now? Last time I was in Taiwan, they were dropped from a lot of platforms.

That certainly was the case more than 10 years ago when they used co-ax cable. 大新店 have had FTTB since at least 2008 and have always significantly outperformed CHT’s offerings when I’ve used them.

Their repair guys work evenings and weekends which is a lot more convenient than CHT’s 9-5, they’ve always arrived promptly if I had an issue.

Having gone through the ringer with CHT’s “service” for more than 6 months where they kept insisting there was no issue with their equipment until they finally agreed there was, I will never use them again unless there is absolutely no other choice.

They also provide a wireless router which is actually capable of providing full speed wirelessly, unlike CHT…

Well I gave up on Taxindian… mostly because their sales pitch was too agressive. And I have have been stood up any time I call for repairs. Still waiting for my upgrade to recording setup…

So experience varies by user. As long as we have more choices, that is all good by me. Shopping around is always fun and productive.

1 Like

I guess they do. You need to contact one of their sales guys rather than deal with the office staff. I got a months free trial, free installation plus a one year contract rather than their usual 2 by asking to speak to a sales guy.