Hong Kong Citizens Move to Taiwan in Waves After Political Upsets

Perhaps the authorities placed hidden microphones there and found out what kind of topics of discussion were really going on among 語言交換朋友.

1 Like

Well, I would like to see numbers as the press again is saying we have/will have/expect to have great numbers of Hong Kong youth coming in, escaping from repression. That would be nice: talented, driven, hard working, motivated, enthusiastic and well educated young blood is most welcome. However, Twitter netizens have also warned that the ones moving here are mostly not young but old fat cats. This last development would have the undesirable consequence of driving property prices up. Currently we have the market on the rise but steady prices because there is a lot of units to fill the demand for buyers. That may change if HK elite with lots of money starts buying off apartments like snacks at a night market.

Taiwan News says the HK immigration rate has become 28%. Can´find official data on that.

I read there’s an over supply of flats in TW in general??? Especially new builds?

There is enough to meet the demand…if all that have need had the means. The ones with means have plenty of choices. Finding housing is not a problem. The financing is a problem.

Maybe oversupply in Dazhi in the north.

South Taiwan cities are not saturated but always something new available.

What are the prices like please?

I read KHH has oversupply too.

KHH has oversupply, but it’s not like ghost towns. Developers just build knowing eventually will sell.

Meh, let them invest. Taiwan can use more foreign investment coming from a more stable source than mainland.

I meet Hongkongers occasionally out and about in Taiwan and we definitely have a more relatable connection than I have with Taiwanese.

Hongkongers have a more Cosmopolitan International perspective whereas Taiwanese are more interested in the latest news about a scooter accident down the road.

Hong Kong is small with big perspectives, Taiwan is big (relatively) with small perspectives.

4 Likes

As long as it is something else than real estate, OK.

1 Like

HKers changing Taiwan’s food scene.

Hongkongers snap up property in Taiwan

• Hong Kong residents accounted for 41.2 per cent of property acquired by foreigners in 2019
  • likely to boost housing demand in the self-ruled island in the coming years
  • may still find housing prices in Taiwan, especially in second-tier and southern Taiwanese cities
  • rising home prices prompted Taipei to amend the capital gains tax last July. Both residents and non-resident individuals and companies are now required to hold their property for longer before they can sell their property to be eligible for a lower tax rate
  • already high housing prices, especially in Taipei and New Taipei will come under pressure
1 Like

DESPERATELY NEEDED. Praise God.

This is mind-numblingly stupid. What the h&ll are we thinking?

Guy

1 Like

Erring on the side of caution? We’re also being directly threatened by China.

It’s Taiwan’s signature risk aversion.

So: working for a Netherlands accounting firm (HK branch) and for a UK majority owned airlines (Cathay Pacific) is reason is axe an application. This is some aggressive FU mojo on the side of the Taiwan side.

Guy

maybe the Taiwanese know something we dont?

Yeah I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt in some of these political decisions. When you’re facing an existential threat, politics are important

Like putting fake reasons for rejection?

Because if those are the real reasons, I will add this to the citizenship debacle story posted by @Fuzzy_Barbecue as some of the most disheartening developments about Taiwan I could imagine.

Guy

Yea. It’s easy to forget that Hong Kongers are technically enemy aliens and there are more than enough CCP spies mixed into the crowd.