Hong Kong Foot, Fungus, Sores, Boils, Cyst, Pus, Athlete's foot, Skin Probems

Double thanks, Sandman. I used to buy such a product in HK and have long complained that it wasn’t available here. Turns out it’s in a different colour box!

As humidity and heat increases, “Hong Kong Feet” or "Athlete

I use something called “Three Tree Oil,” available from Watsons. No idea what’s in it, but it works pretty well for me.

I remember reading something about peeing on your feet in the shower, I haven’t gotten HK Foot yet. :smiley:

That stuff in the red and white box with the footprint really works. Except that it burned the hell out of my foot. I did one at a time and thought it must have been bad for my feet because it seems like it was burning the out layers of skin, just killing them. It was unbearable, had me singing Sinatra tunes to stave the pain, so I only did one foot. It didn’t have that effect for you Sandman? I need to do the other foot, because it never went away of course, but the foot that I used the powder on, well, nothing.

Far as I can tell, its an exfoliant of some sort – it does remove the skin, but only the dead stuff, in my experience. You’re sure you weren’t just using too-hot water? I usually give the ol’ dogs a soak, wait a day or two and then pumice off the dead skin.

I was using extremely hot water, as hot as I could stand it and yes it is great idea to use the pumice, because the dead skin sloughs off your feet for days on end. I think the directions said to use the hottest possible water. Maybe it was too hot. I will try it less hot for the other foot.

My foot dried out like a prune, with stiff and wrinkled skin. Now it is peeling, but the fungus is still there.
I guess the sandal trick does not help if you still have foot sweat.
I am currently testing Lamisil, which the girl in Watson’s recommended. I hope to see some results soon.

I only know foreigners (including myself) with HK foot. I don’t know any locals with this problem. Does anyone have any ideas on this observation?

Could be simply because you know more foreigners than locals. Every pharmacy you walk into has loads of antifungal preparations, so it obviously is a problem for locals. Then again, if the rate of HKF really is hoigher among foreigners, it may be because they’re less experienced at dealing with it.

Anyone know why it’s called Hong Kong Foot?
I remember in China 20 years ago some locals were baffled I called it that. Then even more baffled when I told them that’s what Taiwanese call it. They seemed amused like there was some kind of rivalry between HK and Taiwan. They also liked when I told them about the catchy little advertisment tune.
What is it called in other Asian countries? What do they call it in HK?
I found this:

Foot

4 Likes

May be this, but didn’t see any citations.

Sounds logical but is it also called that in England?

I do not know. In the US, it is called athlete’s foot.

1 Like

yeah same in the UK.

The fungus goes away by washing your feet with shower gel, none of that pharmacy crap required. Just make sure to dry your feet (and your genitals, jock itch is the same thing) very well before putting underwear or socks on. And always wear clean socks, never put dirty socks on. Having multiple pairs of shoes and alternating each day is also prudent, shoes need a day or two to dry out.

2 Likes

All great advice, especially if living in humid climates, as is Taiwan. The daily alternating of shoes is one I did not practice and it took its toll.

In retrospect…

Yeah, mine has been bad enough to infect the toenails. There are treatments for it, but not had much luck with it, you have to be very dedicated and diligent with the treatment plan, and it takes about a year.

1 Like

Had this problem for a year or so before moving back home from TW. Drs in TW and US treated it as athlete’s foot, after discounting diabetes through systemic testing. Anti-fungal couldn’t control it. 3 years of battling, I tried triple antibiotic ointment, which turned out to be a temp cure. Ended up spending 3 days in the hospital with an iv, which also healed it, again, temporarily. Decided to go to a dermatologist, where it was treated as contact dermatitis. Topical steroid, and voila, cured. Who knows. Nasty and painful. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Are you telling me that the stinky feet and shoes I’ve had for the first time in life, after coming to Taiwan, could lead to something worse?